Author Topic: Harborne vs Bearwood (in the future)  (Read 4651 times)

bobster

Harborne vs Bearwood (in the future)
« on: April 05, 2015, 12:30:30 PM »
Hi all,

I currently rent a house in Harborne.  Have lived here for a few years now and love the vibe of the 'village'.  My partner and I have been looking at buying somewhere in the area and have found that Harborne prices are very high (and seemingly on the increase).  We have found larger and cheaper houses in Bearwood (toward the Warley woods side) but are put off by the high street and surrounding not-so-nice areas.

The main thing we were wondering is - as Birmingham continues to receive investment and with the arrival of HS2, will Bearwood become the next Harborne as prices continue to rise and less property is available due to demand in Harborne and Edgbaston? Do people think that the high street might begin to attract some better shops and restaurants, and get a tidy up in the near future? It seems the logical next area to become more desirable as there is a good stock of housing, the high street has so much potential and its proximity to the city centre.

Appreciate your thoughts,

Bob

cocacolakid

Re: Harborne vs Bearwood (in the future)
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 03:00:27 PM »
It is pure speculation, you have to decide yourself where to live.  I can't see how anyone can give you advice that you could rely on, as we don't have a crystal ball. Good luck. O0

Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

Snooks

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 04:23:32 PM »
Good luck with that - you need someone with inside knowledge regarding regeneration ... but there are some reasonable properties Warley side and it's not that far from Harborne and the places you love. I would definitely consider it....
Onwards and upwards!

Gaffa

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 10:45:55 PM »
Well, I have been living in Bearwood for the past 7 years.
As they have already pointed out... Nobody knows... However, let's analize a few facts:
Bearwood is a small area but still, as you said, has different levels.
You can find everything you need in Bearwood high Street... That attracts people from other areas.Basically, people from Smethwick come to Bearwood and many people from Bearwood go somewhere else.
Yes, High St is a little bit abandoned, with many outlets currently closed... However, the existing ones have improved much more the ones that closed down.
Bearwood is what it is and you have to love it that way there is no middle class syndrome in here , just working class.
No waitrose but Also, is for you to choose.
You only know what you are looking for.the communities are as good as the people who live in there.. Money helps but not only that... One clean and looked after house aded to another and then to another makes a nice St... A few nice streets make a nice area.

Bearwood being the new Harbone? I hope it never happens. More likely cape hill absorbing Bearwood and perhaps Harbone one Day.

There nice streets in here, like the ones you said by Warley woods... And if you drive Harbone is just down there...

greenbrummie

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 02:59:41 PM »
Go for it bobster   I would if ?I was young enough to buy and  wait for house prices to rise as the area reinvents itslef

Snooks

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 03:07:06 PM »
Absolutely - I'm with greenbrummie  - I have great memories of Bearwood. The best doctor's surgery ever was there, with the lovely Dr Campbell, the chippy where my Mum bought Fish & Chips for us all on a Saturday, the butchers where our Sunday joint was purchased and all the fun I had  at Lightwoods Park. I know some houses are derelict on the top of the Hagley Road towards the Kings Head but they will be regenerated, I'm sure.
Onwards and upwards!

wetdog

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 06:52:26 PM »
look at selly oak or close too , not bearwood im sorry to say

Paulina

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 08:06:32 PM »
 :) My advice is to buy a house in the best area you can possibly afford.  Location is the most important thing and wherever you are (I dont live in England now, but was a real estate agent until I retired), the better the area the more those houses will appreciate in the future.  I definitely say buy in the best location that you can possibly stretch your money to! :)

loopyloulou

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2015, 09:17:12 PM »
My friends moved to bearwood from the borders of bournville and they love it close to the highstreet but its still not too noisey by the woods were theres always things goin on Halloween n christmas time would say its a nice enough area think harborne can b a bit over rated sometimes as well!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy