Author Topic: Birmingham 'Back To Backs'  (Read 86600 times)

mazbeth

Re: Birmingham 'Back To Backs'
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 01:17:13 AM »
..Had my parents been wiser then probably they could have fought this action but instead they accepted that the authorities were acting within their rights.
this is the case with many things, with hindsight... (they're not to blame), especially when you're under a lot of stress, and particularly if you've got kids to consider..
we've been in that situation with a few private landlords...
housing issues have caused me and my husband more stress than anything in the last 20 years (which has caused us health problems I believe...starts off with severe stress, then brings on a physical problem).
Let those that love us, love us. And those that don't, may God turn their hearts. And, if He cannot turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping!- Irish blessing

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 10:30:51 AM »
our family were forced to pay 17shillings a week rent. With 7 kids this had a severe impact on our financial circumstances and caused great hardship. Had my parents been wiser then probably they could have fought this action but instead they accepted that the authorities were acting within their rights.

Mother_Goose

I think if you had your parents fought this action they would have just been throwing good money away.  They obviously had not been gifted ownership of the house, if they had they would have been in possesion of the deeds.  Even if they had been gifted possesion of the house rent free in perpetuity this gift would have been rendered null & void by the compulsory purchase order.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Mother_Goose

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008, 06:22:04 PM »
I appreciate that Phil but what my parents did not realise is that they had Squatters rights as they had been in the house more than 12 years - so therefore they should have been the recipients of the cash windfall - £50 I suppose at those day's prices

wales

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2008, 07:48:43 PM »
i was born in my grandmothers back to back house in paddington st aston and have only just found out that hockley brook ran right under the back gardens. obviously its still there but once again has been built on. we moved from nans to villa st when i was five and nan stayed on until the slum clearance. just wondered if anyone has been to the only surviving back to backs in birmingham. they are situated at the corner of hurst and inge st in the city centre. i went there last year and it was amazing. it was just like being transported back in time and i would recommend this trip to anyone. wales.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2008, 08:19:01 PM »
I also spent a good part of my early life living in a back to back in Nechells, and I remember it well.

Although I have not yet been to see the back to back houses in Hurst St.  I did have the opportunity years ago to have a look at them, before they were fixed up. I do intend to take myself along for a look see this summer though.

From the images I have seen on the television and those I have seen on photo,  I am afraid that they give out the wrong idea to the young people of today.  They just think that all the people that lived in this type of housing had to put up with was cramped conditions.

These sanitised replicas give no idea of the filth and disease and squalor that constantly surrounded these people, I have no real idea because when I lived in that type of house in the 40's and 50's things were getting better all the time.

I think they are best looked on for what they are a gentle reminder and a bit of light entertainment.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

wales

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2008, 07:51:24 PM »
i agree with you phil. i also lived in back to backs in the 50s and things wernt so bad. i went to a history slide show 2 weeks ago and also being shown was carl chinns back to back dvd. this gives a  a true sense of just how bad things were prior to the 1940s i think it should be shown in all schools accross the land. then maybe the youth of today would not think they are so hard done by. i can honestly say i was in tears by the end of it.  wales

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2008, 09:21:12 PM »
Wales,

I think you are right,  I know the kids today haven't got the slightest idea what things were like in our parents day.  My own children or grandkids have never witnessed poverty, a fact I have to be honest that I am glad of, but  I think they should be shown video's such as you mention at school, so they can at least see from whence they come.

When I talk to my grandchildren of times past, they do show an interest, but when I show them some of my collection of photo's they are just unable to take it in.  When they see the dilapidated housing and ramshackle surroundings they apply todays logic and say things like "why didn't the people move away". If I reply they couldn't afford to their reply is " Why didn't they get better jobs"

I sometimes dispair of what our children are being taught at school.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2008, 02:19:07 PM »
Not exactly back to backs, but I like this photo because it typifies the era in which they were built.

This is a photo of the rear of some terraced houses in Dearman Street, Sparkbrook.
On the left you can see the old tin bath hanging on the wall outside the back door. on the right you can see the heavy cast iron mangle for wringing out the washing. You can also see the miskin area, now used for the dustbin, and you can also see the outside toilets.

I believe these houses are still in use today, but I assume they have been very much sanitised and modernised.

Phil

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2008, 04:36:13 AM »
Phil.

An excellent photo so very typical of most BH & Sparkbrook housing. Some were in better, and some in worse condition, especially with regard to rear fences, or as here, their lack etc.   One that I'll always keep.

You're right about today's children not understanding, it's the same here, EVEN THOUGH THERE ARE MASSIVE SHANTY AREAS - and it's down to the parents who do all they can to forget their roots ( and the needy folk they left behind there ) and ensure their kids NEVER get within miles of those places or people.  It's just good old fashioned greed, never changes except to grow and grasp more.

wales

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2008, 12:49:25 PM »
hi phil. wales here. i have lost page 2 on the villa st thread and cant even post any replies. any idea what has gone wrong. wales.

AnnRNR

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2008, 09:20:43 PM »
Hi
I was brought up 1964 - 1967 6/100 William Street.  We then moved to Erdington.  Dont know much about the house or that I can remberer.   All I was told later that a pub was built on it, not far from Newtown Leisure Centre.  My brothers went Wheeler Street Infant School 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy