Author Topic: born in brum where are you now?  (Read 28603 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: born in brum where are you now?
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2015, 12:54:07 PM »
Roy

It was never great in the old days, but the Birmingham people were different from today. I can't talk for the outlying  areas but the inner city inhabitants were much more closely knit and looked after each other. It's strange but the newcomers are all still that way, it's only us the original inhabitants of the inner city who think we are different people now that we have clawed our ways out of the slums.

I have visited your new home Jersey on several occasions and I well remember it when it was known as the boys booze cruise destination, when gangs of lads used to head out therefor a wild week of partying and the hotels used to cater for them. Talking to the local police one day I was told that the most trouble they ever had was during holy hour on a Sunday when all the bars closed and the drunks piled out onto the streets.

Is holy hour still in force, I'm sure the last time I was in Jersey (a good few years ago now) that they had done away with it or they were thinking of changing it.

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

RoyMcC

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2015, 01:57:55 PM »
Hi Phil,
Jersey has changed quite radically in that respect now. The mass-market tourism died some while ago - people bypass the Channel Islands for sunnier climes these days.No more shows, cabarets, cheap booze and fags and the like. The finance industry is key.[/size]

[/size]
Licensing hours are more relaxed these days and all the better for it. Sundays are quiet without the lads having to rush the pints before closing. There's more al fresco as well so on days like today you can relax outside with a beer with friends and family.

Still the locals find plenty to grumble about. Personally I prefer to go out and concentrate on the positives - likewise when I get back to Brum. You can worry yourself into the grave  :)

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2015, 03:02:29 PM »
I would not have any problem with going any where at any time in brum I never have yes there   are drugs and drunks about the place but you will find that in most towns so to paint Birmingham has being a bad place its no different  to any other place I must admit I will not go in to any pubs in brum but that is down to the fact that I do not drink
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

townie

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2015, 09:16:11 PM »
I have visited many cities in the past few years and in my opinion Birmingham City Centre is far one of the worsted with its drugs, alcohol beggars, gangs and not forgetting the filthy streets. When I used to go out clubbing in the early 70's it was a much safer, cleaner place. I would NOT move back to Birmingham even if I got paid. The pubs are full of the above scum bags dealing drugs and sniffing coke in the toilets. It's a shame really it used to be a great place to hang out with very little trouble.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

RoyMcC

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2015, 09:38:15 AM »
What pubs are we talking about townie? On my last trip I visited maybe half a dozen - Three Horse Shoes Sheldon, The Anchor, White Swan, Kerryman, Spotted Dog, Adam & Eve. Unless I'm going blind all I saw were groups of people having a drink, a chat, a laugh, game of darts perhaps. I'm sure there are dens of iniquity (The Crown in Station Street was one in my day) but I didn't get to see any.

You want to see druggies, scumbags etc. try Dublin. Now they have a problem.

townie

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2015, 06:19:57 PM »
To start with Roy, I have just taken one of the pubs you have mentioned. I was in the Three Horse Shoes recently while enjoying my pint outside a car pulled into the car park. Three lads came out went over to the car and purchased drugs, they then proceeded to the toilets where they put them up their nose.

Some of the other pubs you have mentioned I have not had the opportunity to visit but I believe there are drugs in there just like everywhere else.

You have also mentioned the Crown, this was my local back in the 70's and many a good night I had without the influence of any substances. There was all walks of life in there but very seldom did you see any signs of drug use. My guess is it wouldn't have the same vibe probably full of scumbags, shame really.

philtarmey

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2015, 12:56:07 PM »
born in aston now living in morocco

Robgriff

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2015, 07:45:53 PM »
saltley born went to kingshurst ,red ditch now Cornwall would never go back.

baznkazthebrummies

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2015, 05:03:52 PM »
born in brookhill rd alum rock
moved to foxwood grove kingshurst
moved to heather close smiths wood
moved to berry rd saltley
moved back to brookhill rd alum rock
moved to somerset rd erdington
moved to anthony rd alum rock
moved to duddeston manor rd nechells
moved to amis gardens small heath
moved to shard end crescent shard end
moved to brookfarm walk chelmsley wood
moved to croft rd yardley
moved to chaynes grove tile cross
moved to ridgeacre rd quinton
moved back to st giles rd tile cross
moved to another road in tile cross and i am still here... cant find my way out of brum
COMMON SENSE IS NOT THAT COMMON

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2015, 05:27:36 PM »
cant find my way out of brum

Don't bother, you are not missing much.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2015, 08:07:30 PM »
born in brookhill rd alum rock
moved to foxwood grove kingshurst
moved to heather close smiths wood
moved to berry rd saltley
moved to somerset rd erdington
moved to anthony rd alum rock
moved to duddeston manor rd nechells
moved to amis gardens small heath
moved to shard end crescent shard end
moved to brookfarm walk chelmsley wood
moved to croft rd yardley
moved to chaynes grove tile cross
moved to ridgeacre rd quinton
moved back to st giles rd tile cross
moved to another road in tile cross and i am still here... cant find my way out of brum

Can I put myself forward for your removal man.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy