Author Topic: born in brum where are you now?  (Read 28654 times)

Linda R

Re: born in brum where are you now?
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2015, 10:27:43 PM »
Born in Great Barr 1954, moved to Burntwood, moved to Walsall. Left school.
Spent a year in Monaco,  then Stoke on Trent, Newport, Canterbury, Paris, Hong Kong. Moved to Melbourne Australia in 1979 been here ever since. Lots of family still in The Midlands, happy memories of my childhood and teenage years. The Tavern in the Town, Bogarts, The Mulberry Bush etc.

Gordeedoo

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2015, 10:33:28 PM »
Right opposite the bus garage, next to the Blues Cafe.
Apparently the old Blues team used to take me out for walks in my pram.
That was when Noel Kinsey and Gil Merrick were there. They all knew and loved my Gran

Gordeedoo

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2015, 10:36:44 PM »
Linda R I used to hang out at all of those places. I was Lucky that on the night the Tavern got bombed I was in London,picking up my in-laws
Do you remember Tony Stokes, by any chance? Stokesie?

Linda R

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2015, 10:53:02 PM »
Sorry I don't recall a Tony Stokes.
I was lucky on the night of the bombing we had just left the Tavern to go to the Mulberry Bush and were in the street when it happened..... Not a pleasant memory.

Gordeedoo

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2015, 03:51:32 AM »
Used to be at the Tavern almost every night. A great place.

townie

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2015, 12:10:15 PM »
Hi Linda R. Take a look at thread (Clubs of the 60's and 70's) as we were born in the same year, you may have used some that are mentioned like me.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Snooks

« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2015, 12:29:02 PM »
I was born in Lordswood Maternity hospital and lived in Edgbaston on the corner by St. Augustine's Church until I was 18 when I went to college in London (Streatham) Then back to Brum where I taught in City Road Junior School for a year before going to Drama School for 3 years and back to London, then I lived all over the country wherever the work was... including Worthing, Lancaster, Plymouth, Scotland, Cardiff, Peterborough, Northern Ireland, Worcester and many other places plus of course Brum  before moving back to London and then to Shinfield Reading when I got married. When my son was 5 we moved to North Devon, where I am now with my second husband and I love it. I have been here since 1987 and wouldn't move. But saying that... as Trapio says, "Never say never," because I am very adaptable and have made my self at home wherever I have lived. ::)

I have great memories of Brum and visit regularly to catch up with friends and attend reunions. I must say I have never felt unsafe, not even recently, but I much preferred the old town centre as it was when the buses took us into New Street and Corporation Street rather than all the way round and dropped off by the Cathedral. In fact, some of the places I lived in London I did not feel safe and had some bad experiences ... but that's another story!  ???

I do love life in the countryside with the sea just 15 minutes away. I am very lucky. O0
Onwards and upwards!

planetmalc

« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2015, 03:47:40 PM »
Right opposite the bus garage, next to the Blues Cafe.

Thanks for that, Gordon.      We both have something in common: photo's of your old house and of my two old houses (one in Muntz Street and the other in Grange Road) have all been published    -    I wonder how many of our other members can claim that?
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

townie

« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2015, 03:50:08 PM »

Thanks for that, Gordon.      We both have something in common: photo's of your old house and of my two old houses (one in Muntz Street and the other in Grange Road) have all been published    -    I wonder how many of our other members can claim that?

Yes Malc one of my homes being built. Shard End thread.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

2lls

« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2015, 11:07:11 PM »
Born in Erdington
then alum Rock
Shard End
Solihull
Oslo
Doha
Dhahran
Abu Dhabi
Dubai
Muscat
Calcutta (Kolkata)
Cape Town
Sydney
now pleasantly settled in Coleshill

AWJD

« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2015, 11:07:59 PM »
Quote from: "Snooks
I was born in Lordswood Maternity hospital

So was I but I have no idea why because the family home was in Stirchley at the time. Moved from Brum to London for 10 years but now live near Oxford on the River Thames. However, I take every opportunity to visit Brum whenever I can and still enjoy being in the city.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy