Author Topic: alum rock road  (Read 2595 times)

davidjoh

alum rock road
« on: June 08, 2015, 10:06:36 AM »
I was born in 1943 and since my father was fighting in WW2 I was reared by my mother and her parents in Ward End Park Road.I've seen very little posted about this area,so here are a few memories.Does anyone remember George Saunders the butcher.Mr. Lincoln the chemist who everyone went to instead of the doctor.Dr. Kirk who was our doctor.Post office by the coop which I think was ran by Mr. Snell.Gents outfitters (can't remember their name).The coop store itself at the end of the line.Radio and later tv shop Jack Reed???? Ward End lending library on the corner of Farnhurst Road?????You had to pay a penny to borrow a book for a week.Ran by a lovely lady whose name I can't remember.Local cinemas Capitol at the Pelham,The Grand(my favourite in the dip opposite Bishop Bodfish's church.What a fantastic man Bishop Bodfish was!The Rock.George Arthur and Woodcock Street swimming baths.

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: alum rock road
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 10:44:40 AM »
Hi David,

Welcome to the forum, if you type Ward End into the search box at the top right of the page you will find a few posts concerning the Ward End area. I'm afraid the only places I recall in Ward End would be the park and the Common Lane entrance of the Metropolitan Cammell works.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Jacko

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 03:48:46 PM »
Was the Gents outfitter Sam Riley ?  regards, John.

davidjoh

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 07:00:11 PM »
Hello John,
Thanks for that;I'm sure that your correct.Was there a billiards hall called 'Arcadia' up some stairs near the outfitters,
David

Jacko

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 08:26:27 PM »
Hi David, you're correct about the Arcadia, there was also a dance studio below the billiard hall.  You must remember the Brookhill Tavern and, a little further up, the army camp (REME). John.

davidjoh

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 12:43:27 PM »
Hello John,  Remember well the Brookhill and the army barrack.As you went up the hill towards the Pelham my aunt used to go to the hairdresser on the left called Tilly Leadbetter.As a bit of useless information she was, I believe, a relative of Danny Blanchflower.Saltley Grammar School was much further up on the right from memory.My summers were spent in Ward End Park going in off Foxton Road and up the hill and over the railway line.Spent many happy hours on the boats.In the holidays a big marquee was erected for shows to be put on for the kids etc.My grandparents used to use the Ward End Ex Service Mens Club and I had some good times at the xmas parties there.Sorry I am drifting on with what to me are very good memories and I would imagine from your posts that you already know the places mentioned.So, sorry if I've been a bore and thanks for the response.        David.

Jools

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 09:48:55 PM »
My Dad used to work at Jack Read's tv shop and my grandma lived at 54 ward end park road they were the James' my uncle cliff lived there too he had a cresta car do you remember them

townie

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 09:56:20 PM »
Hi Jools Have a look at cafes and coffee bars Alum Rock you may be surprised  Good Luck.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

davidjoh

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2015, 10:24:35 AM »
Glad to read your reply earlier.My family lived at number 55 and I am fairly sure that my Aunt Gwen was a  good friend of one of your relatives, I think her Christian name was Margaret but I am not too sure about that.My aunts name at the time was 'Gwennie' Gwilt.
I remember Jack Reads well. Was it called Radiovision?Other memories; George Saunders, butcher.Mr. Snell who worked at the post office.A H Lincoln the chemist, everyone went to him instead of the doctor for minor ailments.Could go on forever but don't want to bore you. Very happy memories of life with my Nan, Maud Gwilt and her family. Like you we then moved to Bridgeford Road in Shard End.Thanks for the memories.       David.

Jools

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015, 11:03:58 AM »
Hi David,thanks for your reply yes that was my auntie Margaret her surname was Denham,they lived with my grandma and uncle cliff,Margaret husband John and children Gerald and Anita,my mom was Hazel James,married my dad John Jones he worked at the Mail and part time at Jack Reeds,don't worry you won't bore me!! So many memories Jools 😬

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy