Author Topic: Fred Lanes Newsagents Balsall Heath Road  (Read 2199 times)

Andy Capp

Fred Lanes Newsagents Balsall Heath Road
« on: July 20, 2015, 08:30:05 PM »
Hi All Who can remember Fred Lanes Newsagents In Balsall Heath Road Opposite Mary Street. He Also had newstands in Birmingham City Centre

cocacolakid

Re: Fred Lanes Newsagents Balsall Heath Road
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 09:46:56 AM »
Hi All Who can remember Fred Lanes Newsagents In Balsall Heath Road Opposite Mary Street. He Also had newstands in Birmingham City Centre

Andy Capp..

I remember Fred Lanes newsagents shop as if it was yesterday.  I was friends with his son, Alan Lane. When we left Mary St school and started at Dennis Rd, Alan and I sat together in the first year, after that we were in different classes, however, I used to call for him after dinner time, and we would go back to school together.  When I saw your post in photo's & videos, I thought you had posted pictures of Lanes shop, I was a bit disappointed to find no pictures, just a written thread.

Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 10:50:54 AM »
Malc

Obviously Andy (Hi Andy) is looking for a photo the same as yourself and this is the best place to look for one, I'm only sorry that although I have several photos of Balsall Heath Rd this is one that I do not have.
Make Love Not War

cocacolakid

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 12:00:51 PM »
Malc

Obviously Andy (Hi Andy) is looking for a photo the same as yourself and this is the best place to look for one, I'm only sorry that although I have several photos of Balsall Heath Rd this is one that I do not have.

Phil..

I know that a photo of Lanes newsagents shop in Balsall Heath Rd seems to be none existent.  I have asked before, you were not able to help then, but maybe one day one will turn up ??  Thanks Phil  O0

Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

Andy Capp

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 05:12:21 PM »
Hi All. It seems Strange that there are no photos of Fred Lanes Shop or Newstands. I think Fred used to man one of his newstands for years but was more in the shop as he got older. His Wife was more in the shop before

Andy Capp

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 05:29:46 PM »
This is the Type of Newstand Fred Lane used to man

planetmalc

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 04:32:04 PM »

Whereabouts in the City Centre? (it'll help us to pinpoint a possible photograph).
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Andy Capp

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 04:44:57 PM »
Hi Planetmalc. I think the newstand shown in the photo is in Bull Street outside Greys. I dont know that one was one of Freds Lanes newstands but he did have several round the City Centre

stephenlane.1149

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 08:34:41 PM »
Andy Capp I have just become a new member and was excited to read your post from July 2015. Fred Lane was my granddad, my dad is Alan. I'm sure he has some old photos of the shop dating back to the 50's, I will try to find them and put them on the site for you to see.   

Lizzie Drippin

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 07:42:12 PM »
Would love to see any photos, as my hubby, Alan , lived down the entry at side of Lanes. He used to help Alan Lane collect papers from Bham Mail.

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 08:03:53 PM »
Hi Planetmalc. I think the newstand shown in the photo is in Bull Street outside Greys. I dont know that one was one of Freds Lanes newstands but he did have several round the City Centre

Stephen

Welcome to the forum, I'm sure that a few of us would like to see any photos you may have. If you have any trouble uploading them just contact me and I'll do what I can to help.
Make Love Not War