Author Topic: Curry Houses  (Read 11045 times)

Andy Capp

Curry Houses
« on: July 22, 2015, 04:17:29 PM »
Hi All. Who can remember one of the first curry diners in Corporation Street in Birmingham in the 1950s. I think it was called the Light Of Asia. I tried A vindeloo had to drink lots of water it was that hot. Happy Days

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Curry Houses
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 04:39:36 PM »
Andy

I can't ever remember a curry house on Corporation St in the 50's. I can remember a couple of Chinese restaurants down the bottom end by the Law Courts in the early 60's and around the same time a couple of curry houses in Lower Priory and one at the end of Stafford St, but one in Corporation St eludes me. Where exactly was it Andy.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Andy Capp

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 04:47:50 PM »
Hi Phil it was almost opposite Lewis's if my memory is correct

potblack

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 05:40:42 PM »
The Light of Asia was opposite the Law Courts and the restaurant was on the first floor.
If I remember right there was a chemist at street level.
There was a gay club in the basement (I am talking 1960) where many of the theatrical people used to meet when appearing in town. Over the door to club was a poem about a highwayman.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 05:47:37 PM »
Andy

I think you are thinking of one of these that were on Lower Priory at the side of Kings Hall Market, The Taj Mahal or the Shalimar they were only just off Corporation St.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 05:54:22 PM »
The Light of Asia was opposite the Law Courts and the restaurant was on the first floor.
If I remember right there was a chemist at street level.
There was a gay club in the basement (I am talking 1960) where many of the theatrical people used to meet when appearing in town. Over the door to club was a poem about a highwayman.

Potblack,

Wasn't that the Dragons Gate and wasn't it a Chinese Restaurant
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Andy Capp

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 06:27:33 PM »
Hi Potblack. I think your Right i knew it was in that area. & i did remember going upstairs to the curry diner

castalla

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 12:18:45 PM »
Was there  a Balti house in Ladypool road called King of Balti back in the 90´s ¿ went past there a few years ago and either changed hands or closed down i found it was the best tasting balti and owner let you go in to the kitchen to see how your curry was made, though now living abroad nothing like good old Balti houses, saying that even Chinese food never tastes the same, can do a better job myself. Also lack indian and Chinese supermarkets, hence when i do pop back stock up on all the spices i can carry

vamann

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 09:12:46 AM »
Used to eat in the Curry centre Bristol street back in the late sixties, used to be a big Indian chap with a big sword stood in the entrance, bet they wouldn't allow that nowadays.

potblack

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 01:00:24 PM »
In the late '50's early '60's we used an Indian restaurant in Steelhouse Lane (after we had walked into town from the Tower dance. Can't remember the name.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 03:42:22 PM »
I remember once in the late 60's walking from the Tower and me and my mate falling down all the steps at Paradise Street underpass and getting up and carrying on our way to the Manzil in Digbeth where we had our meal and then got a taxi back to our local where as usual they were having a stopover and we finished the night/morning there.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy