Author Topic: Hamstead Village  (Read 23972 times)

Donp777

Hamstead Village
« on: February 23, 2008, 02:30:47 PM »
Anyone remember Hamstead Colliery or Hamstead village

Langstraat

Re: Hamstead Village
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 03:27:40 PM »
Yep,
I remember it well, spent many a happy hour climbing to the summit of the slag heaps off Spouthouse Lane and sliding down through the sulphurous fumes. Playing by the canal basin at Gorse Farm where the coal used to loaded into barges
Hamstead Brickworks had a large Marl Hole where we used to abseil down it's cliffs using Mom's washing line; it's wonder we weren't killed but as a kid you know no fear. Walking across the bridge parapet at Tower Hill Bridge or jumping over the locks by Perry Barr Park.
Hamstead Colliery had the deepest seam in the world 1,836 feet. I've attached a link which you may find interesting about the area but a search using Google earth will show how the area has changed.

http://b43.co.uk/cms/tanhouse-area/tanhouse-area.html

Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and try to beat you with experience.

Donp777

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 07:17:57 PM »
I too played on the slag heaps, lived in Spouthouse lane and then west road on what was known as the Durham or  Geordie Estate,i remember the colliery nurse stitching my head on more then one occassion, i remember having my first Beer at the Beaufort arms pub in the village and yes i was  not eighteen, the miners Gala every year with  Fancy dress  and sports with money prizes, watching the colliery football team play and  watching the miners playing bowls at the miners social  club, Happy days

Langstraat

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 07:43:53 PM »
Do you still live in the area Don? The marsh at the back of Spouthouse is now a nature reserve. When I was a kid we used to play there and dam the stream and build dens. There were only a few trees of any height but when you look at it through Google's satelite eye it looks like a forest now.

I remember when they flattened the heaps and built the Durham estate. They moved hundreds of families down from Peterlee and surrounding areas with the promise of jobs for life. I think it lasted four years before Hamstead and Sandwell  closed and they bused them to Cannock, Hednesford and Brownhills.
So which schools did you go to?
Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and try to beat you with experience.

Donp777

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 09:28:27 PM »
I live In Sarasota Florida now been in the USA since 1989, i used to dam the stream too we called it the Golden stream and nearby was the island and the boggy woods, i went to Gorse farm infants and junior school then Dartmouth High School left in 1969, did you ever go scrumping near the stream

Langstraat

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 10:10:46 PM »
Looks like I ought to know you Don, I went to Gorse Farm Junior, helped to dig out the hole for the swimming pool boy that water was cold eh?
The Island in the woods was covered with Willow bushes and reached by wading through clumps of sphagnum moss. If you veered off the secret route you would risk being swallowed in the 'quicksand'
(stinking bog) which claimed many a welly-gog during the school holidays. There were tales of giant crocodiles  which lived there; we never saw them but their young were captured each spring and shown to 'girls' to stop them joining our gang they bore a strong resemblance to newts. We knew they were Crocs because we had seen them on T.V. in Hans and Lotte Haas documentaries
The stream filtered through this morass eventually flowing into a blue brick culvert at the back of the miner's terraces till it dissappeared beneath the road before discharging into the Tame by the pit.
The aqueduct across Spouthouse Lane was a challenge which I climbed many times.

Donp777

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 12:15:30 AM »
I remember the  aqueduct i got a smack round the ear hole off the local copper for being up there, i lived just up from the shops 43 spouthouse lane opposite the entrance to the wreck and at the back of me was the entrance to the woods and the other way was to Gorse farm school, do you remember all the prefabs on spouthouse and  Farlands Grove, there was a tree at the top next to the canal where we all played on swings, we lived in the Pit houses but because we lived above the aqueduct we went to Gorse farm not hamstead school, i remember the head mistress miss Lunn  thought we lowered the tone of the school LOL you may have known our family  the phillips
I have a older brother who helped dig out the pool at Gorse farm he went to churchfields school
his name is John does it ring abell?

Langstraat

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 02:08:04 AM »
Don,
The name John Philips doesn't ring a bell, but we're talking about a long time ago. I do remember having a 'mate' someone from where you say you lived which could be the same but without any degree of certainty. My wife lived at the top of Spouthouse on the opposite side to you. The Bishop's. Rosemarie, Shelia and Pauline, next door to the Bell girls. They were classified as Birmingham and as such went to Calshot and Beeches Schools.

I remember the tree you mentioned, it was one of the few on the Tame Valley canal that I never managed to climb. The rec  across the road from you had a fair every year. The miner's social club had a beautiful bowling green and had 'turns' most Saturday nights.
I enjoyed my stay at Gorse Farm School, Miss Lunn was very 'Posh' and used to bring her Poodle into assembly. She was well ahead of her time with the drama group, film club and children's library. Other teachers you may remember were Miss's Wallet and Horabin both lived in Waddington Avenue and the Newton Road; they were totally dedicated to the children they were entrusted with.  It's not until you hear of the horrors that other kids had to endure that you realise how fortunate we were to have such a good foundation.
I left Churchfields in 66 and moved from Gt. Barr in 1977

Sarasota's a long way from Great Barr what do you do there?
Back in 1989 I drove down from Clearwater to Captiva and Sanibel Islands passing through Sarasota along the Gulf of Mexico highway, that was an epic drive, it felt almost as long as walking from Hamstead up Appleton Avenue felt as a kid. LOL.

Have you checked out the pictures from school on Friendsreunited I see we have mutual friends listed Gerry and Alan Hathaway. The net is remarkable I just wish we'd had it twenty years ago.

jasper14

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 05:42:12 AM »
Hi Donp777

Both my Son and Daughter went to Dartmouth Comp, my Daughter was
in Churchill House,she was there in 69-70 then we came here to NZ. She is now a Deputy Principal at a School here.Both of them loathed the place,to crowded and noisey all the time.We could hear all the buses and the noise
  at lunchtime from our house.............On the Birmingham Rd.

Donp777

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 02:28:13 PM »
I bet you cant remember the name of Miss Lunns dog, i never cared for miss wallet but miss horabin was a good teacher the other fourth year teacher was mrs sneaden she was anice lady but abit of a holy roller, that road you took from clearwater to sanibel was the 41 (Tamiami trail) its changed alot here since you were here, so where are you now? i  have a painting business here in sarasota before that i taught for social services in Birminghaqm and newham, do you remember David maxim from spouthouse or willy ward, that walk to redhouse park was a killer so was the walk from my house to the beacon cinema

Donp777

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 02:35:02 PM »
Hi Jasper, i was the secnd year of kids in Dartmouth school and left at 15,  big family with no Dad at home so had to work as soon as i could, that was 1969 the head misstress was miss Foster she was ok, i also lived out in NZ for a short time in 1987, north island just stayed 6 months returned  to England then two years later came to America