Author Topic: Hamstead Village  (Read 45077 times)

Langstraat

Re: Hamstead Village
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2008, 04:45:28 PM »
Don,

Miss Lunn's dog was called Bimbo. She had one of the first mini's which was parked outside her window. I was an ink well monitor whose duties were to mix the powdered ink a big responsibility only over shadowed by being chosen to look after watering the tomato plants during the summer holidays. My claim to fame was being able to throw a ball over the roof to be caught by David Proctor. LOL. We had many excursions from school usually starting from Hamstead railway station in specially chartered school trains. Llandudno, Western Super-mare, Scarborough and Chester. Good days.
 I remember watching the silhouettes of the bargee's horses as they made their way along the canal embankment against a winter skyline.
Christmas parties in the hall with jellies and cakes set out in the dining area.
A good foundation for life. 
The 'cut' was a traffic free route for us kids it linked many area of exploration; High bridges beneath the Newton Road and further a field to the Yew Tree Estate. In the opposite direction there were sandstone outcrops to climb in the Tower Bridge cutting. Did you venture as far as the Bluebell woods over the river by the pit?

I've been in Print all my working life, taught and trained a few along the way in many countries. At present I'm living in Yorkshire making sure the kids don't mess up the business. LOL.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and try to beat you with experience.

Donp777

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2008, 06:25:44 PM »
Not only did i venture over there but we dug for coal in the blue bell wood, i went to college in Yorkshire,  Huddersfield  teacher training college at holly bank, married a local girl now divorced but living with a very nice lady from Manchester, yes it was Bimbo who was blind when i was in the fourth year, poor dog would fall off the stage all the time, i remember my older brother and i transporting a china Elephant from the junior school to the infants and dropping it half way up, miss Lunn never did forgive me LOL  Happy days

Langstraat

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2008, 06:53:08 PM »
Didn't you get your free bag of coal every week from the N.C.B O0
I used to see loads of kids on the tip by the brick works sorting through the spoil for bits of black gold. There used to be a family who lived in Langdale which backed onto Spouthouse. The father used to go out often with a large Silvercross type pram and return with it filled with coal. He looked like the old guy from the Led Zeppelin Album.
Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and try to beat you with experience.

jasper14

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2008, 07:16:38 PM »
Langstratt  and Don
Reading about how you lived and the things you did make me realise what
a sheltered safe life I had all my life, YET I was the only one to ever go into
the Armed Forces (volunteer.)..and the only family member that emigrated,
Looking back compared to some of the tales that have been told my childhood
was wonderful,        ,good home, loving hard working parents,always sufficient
love,food on the table,discipline etc..Should maybe have appreciated it more..
just took it for granted tho..thats kids for you!!!!!

Donp777

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2008, 09:58:16 PM »
the old guy  with the pram was mr newell i think he was a small man with 14 or 15 kids lived just below the walk thru from spouthouse and langdale, we only got the coal ration once amonth when my dad was working,  most of the time he was not at work or home, he eventually left for good but the pit would not put my moms name on the rent book, took 5 years and the council taking over the houses before it was in her name

Donp777

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2008, 09:59:20 PM »
Jasper14 where in new zealand are you

jasper14

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2008, 10:11:18 PM »

Donp,
             live in Hamilton,Waikato                Built this house in '71 still here.

Langstraat

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2008, 10:14:20 PM »
Jasper,

I hope you're not including me with the ones who had a less privileged childhood. Mine was wonderful it had all the things you relate and more. I didn't take my parents for granted and appreciated them then as I still do in their memory now.  O0 O0

Langstraat

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2008, 10:24:16 PM »
Ah Mr Newell, that name rings a bell. He used to have a bunch of kids round him every where he went, I guess if he had 14 they were probably his.
I remember seeing him once with his beautiful daughter both struggling to push a fully loaded pram laden with 'slack' he had large dog on a piece of string.
Now that's an odd image that stands the test of time.

jasper14

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2008, 10:45:59 PM »
Hi Langstratt,
                      seems as tho you and I among many had a good childhood
but on the other hand some did,nt, its those people that have got out and
done things that I admire, their past has in a way helped them eh?
There but for the Grace of God etc etc..

Langstraat

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2008, 12:06:20 PM »
On March 4th it will be the Centenary of the pit disaster.
Details: http://www.hamsteadminers.co.uk/

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy