Author Topic: Hamstead Village  (Read 45067 times)

kieron

Re: Hamstead Village
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2009, 08:06:00 PM »
hi everyone, i,m a new member..is there anybody who lived in Rockford Road who remembers a lady called patricia drummond, she lived at number 39 in 1960. She is a lost relative that i am trying to locate. Patricia ran a dressmaking shop in  Birmingham.

tim kelly

« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2012, 10:47:09 AM »
Anyone remember Hamstead Colliery or Hamstead village
  don as soon as i saw donp       guessed who it was  yeah of course i remember the pitt head i lived on top of it for 33 years,  87 west road  you were at 83 after moving up from spouthouse . iam just looking at starting a forum up in facebook on hamstead and the geordie estate iam trying to gather pictures , as were all getting older we regress to times gone by  . yeah i remember all of the things like  the boggy woods big jims the red  rocks the canal basin but i never see the old resavours  next to the old pit head mentioned i use to fish them every day if not the canal, and the tunnels under the hamstead road the humps still their outside the old joker pub that is now a 24/7 tesco

Gee Gee

« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2012, 11:06:37 AM »
  don as soon as i saw donp       guessed who it was  yeah of course i remember the pitt head i lived on top of it for 33 years,  87 west road  you were at 83 after moving up from spouthouse . iam just looking at starting a forum up in facebook on hamstead and the geordie estate iam trying to gather pictures , as were all getting older we regress to times gone by  . yeah i remember all of the things like  the boggy woods big jims the red  rocks the canal basin but i never see the old resavours  next to the old pit head mentioned i use to fish them every day if not the canal, and the tunnels under the hamstead road the humps still their outside the old joker pub that is now a 24/7 tesco

Hello Tim,
              I'm a member of the Kelly family that lived in Canal Row, before they built the Geordie Estate. Alice Kelly was my Grandmother,had uncles George and John,aunts Alice,Hilda.Kitty and Racheal. Any connection.?

tim kelly

« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2012, 11:30:39 AM »

Hello Tim,
              I'm a member of the Kelly family that lived in Canal Row, before they built the Geordie Estate. Alice Kelly was my Grandmother,had uncles George and John,aunts Alice,Hilda.Kitty and Racheal. Any connection.?

tim kelly

« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2012, 11:35:45 AM »
no sorry not related  i arrived in 63 with my parents and lived on the geordie estate  i do remember canal row   we used to play in them after the residence had all long moved out ive got a friend in australia  who,s family used to live their   the rabbits family  they moved  up to top end of hamstead either james or holland road may even of been  tanhouse   iam not sure

nickcc

« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2012, 07:29:32 PM »
Does anyone remember a friend of mine called Ernie Marsden he used to live on Hamstead hill.  Lost touch when I moved away in the early seventies.
Nick

Helston Cornwall

Haydes53

« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2012, 01:32:10 PM »
Hi, new to this and reading some of the comments has brought back alot of memories.
Miss Lunn's poddle's name I can't remember at the moment but somewhere I have a photo given as xmas present. David Maxim and William Ward I both remember. Having gone to Gorse Farm then being one of first students to attend Dartmouth before they bulit the motorway and having to walk to Red House park for games.
Lived in Spouthouse lane until '82 when I got married and moved to Quinton.

Golfing12

« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2012, 06:12:54 PM »
I lived in Waddington Avenue until 1973, I went to Gorse Farm School and remember Miss Horrobin, Miss Wallet, Mr Swinton, Miss Lunn and the children in my class of 1962. Anne Tafler, Christine Norton, Richard Tregea, Martin Thompson etc. 

Anyone out there who was at Gorse Farm in 1962 ?

Stinger

« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2012, 06:35:17 PM »
I lived in Waddington Avenue until 1973, I went to Gorse Farm School and remember Miss Horrobin, Miss Wallet, Mr Swinton, Miss Lunn and the children in my class of 1962. Anne Tafler, Christine Norton, Richard Tregea, Martin Thompson etc. 

Anyone out there who was at Gorse Farm in 1962 ?

Ahh Christine Norton eh? My first childhood sweetheart, it last two weeks.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain and most fools do

Gee Gee

« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2012, 10:09:05 PM »
Stinger,
             To continue with your link;the brick yard was still a going concern in the early 50s,I'm not sure when it ceased operating.I know that the colliery closed in 1965.
My grandad and uncles (3) used to work at the brick works.I can recall taking his snap down to the yard,sandwiches and tea which was often decanted into a milk bottle.I would then continue across the "Marl Hole" to pick my bag of coal from the pit stack.You had to return home with a bag of coal in those days to collect your reward.A huge bowl of grans soup,nobody made soup quite like my gran.
We would often assist the young girls to make their makeshift houses,built from the many bricks that were strewn about the place.If one was lucky,you may have received an invite inside on completion. ;D O0

Stinger

« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2012, 11:02:16 PM »
I think it was in the early 60's that we first claimed the Marl hole as a place of adventure during the summer holidays. We first approached it from the Clifton bridge on our bikes. Completely unaware of the cliff edge which surrounded the gapping hole. I don't think there was fence. When approached from the safer Walsall road canal side the hole was huge. Boulders the size of houses a very eerie sort of place. Beneath the cliff face was a cavern the size of the Holy Name. It wasn't a good place to play and after a couple of climbs up the shear face we didn't go there again. It was more fun climbing in the Clifton bridge cutting, at least there were trees to soften the falls.
The waste buckets were still in operation and as you say we saw plenty of kids scavenging for coal. We never had to do that, we never had a care in the world as some did. I suppose the brick works had finished by then. I don't recollect ever seeing brick trucks in Hamstead or Rocky Lane.
 It was a wonderful place to grow up in. Every day was filled with adventure
 O0
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain and most fools do

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy