Author Topic: Hamstead Village  (Read 45072 times)

Steve M

Re: Hamstead Village
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2013, 02:08:42 PM »
I used to attend Gorse Farm Scool and Dartmouth High School (Nuffield House, Mr Goddard was the House Head if I recall).
I lived in Appleton Avenue and our house backed on to Gorse Farm playing field. Always played football on their and got regularly chased off by the caretaker. Attended GF around 1965 and then moved on to Dartmouth. I remember Hamstead colliery slag heap and in particular one day I recall fell over in the mud and sludge, my mother was not happy when I got back home.
I used to play football in the evenings at Red House Park and fished their and over the road from my house on the cut. Played football on the rec at the back of Spouthouse Lane.
I left Dartmouth in 1972.
I remember a girl at Gorse Farm who used to live over the road from me .... Linda Walters. Does anyone remember her and also John Hargreaves who I played football with at Red House.
All happy memories

Queslett

« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2014, 11:30:41 PM »
Hiya - I went to hamstead school junior and infants school - miss Phillimore was head mistress at the infants i recall

Mr Shipley was head of The junior school... a wonderful man  - could be strict...smiles knew him years later socially when I played cricket at the Dartmouth and he was president

recall teachers like Miss Sills, Mr Williams, whose son also went to the school, miss mitchell and miss baker...

then in 1969 to dartmoor - sorry dartmouth and the great nuffield house of Mr Goddard, remember Bernard Lane, who i discovered years later at Alumwell school, Miss Forster was the head mistress then concord  - sorry mr acroyed, a few years later when the sixth form opened Mr Henry was head of sixth form... a great school to go to.. why did they change it to the Q Academy

my year had people like Colin Hathaway caroline green Yvonne Williams, Roger Hands, John Staton, David Brown, Ricky Hollingsworth, Barry Styles,  there were the Kellys and Andersons and Mays, - Andy Hares, Sally Wilkinson, guess I could keep going - I left in 1974

Bakers boy

« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2014, 10:23:43 AM »
I lived in Coleraine road from about 1944 to 1951. We moved there from Saltley. My brother and I went to Dorrington Rd School 1945 to 1951. I vaguely remember Mr Aspinall, Miss Kirkham and Mis Crimmings. I think all women teachers had to be single.
I played on the field between Rocky Lane and Coleraine Rd because our house backed onto it.

Behind the houses opposite our house was a large field and the "Pit" which we were banned from, but we did venture down it once or twice. We played on the canal which we could get to from Tower Hill.

I remember VE day and VJ day celebrations when we had  street parties.
We played with David Emery and Robert Beet and Roger Willits if I remember correctly

Jim Hobbs

« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2014, 06:34:30 PM »
Re. Mikey's entry on Feb 28th. 2008.   I've just picked this up as I've only just joined Birmingham Forum.  Mikey and I were possibly at Dorrington Road School at the same time, though he was 2 years ahead of me and I was only there for about a year.  I started in 1947 in the Infants where the two teachers were Mrs. Griffiths and Miss Howse (or House).  I remember we still had a nap after lunch.  The picture in the classroom had a Christmas theme of the shepherds listening to the choir of angels - all a mystery to us then! 

I remember bigger boys showing showed us titches how you could concentrate the sun's rays on to the side of the wooden building, making a little plume of smoke and a black scar?? 

I think there was also a babies clinic I one of the outbuildings of the school during the war.  I remember trudging up to it to collect MOF tins of milk and bottles of orange juice.  There as also a special sun room where we all sat stripped to the waist wearing dark goggles. 

Yes, as some have said, it was a good area to play in.  We lived at 97 Rocky Lane, with the Park nearby.

The school then had a brick façade entrance, but behind it was all wooden huts - part of the late 1930s building of so called temporary premises. Two other schools like this were Kingsland and Sundridge Road Schools, both in Kingstanding, which had this sort of accommodation in the 1970s!

Jim Hobbs.

townie

« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2014, 10:40:49 PM »
As were in Hamstead, anyone know if the Beaufort Arms or the Garden Gate are still up and running?
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

nev

« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2014, 10:52:14 AM »
I lived in Coleraine road in the 1950s.used to play on the slag heap and climb the winding wheel pylon.
Hampstead pit was quite shallow compared to the 4000ft of clockface.However an old miner friend of mine said it was very hot and dangerous.
Toer hill bridge is where Ron Grainger and myself crossed over on the outside playing  follow my leader no else would follow.
Halfway across one of the coping stones jutted out,it caused a bit if a tingle.
There was a bit of a pit behind the road close to the winding wheel,it had a small railway and a wagon ,much fun riding in it.Used to stick Wilders bangers in the face of the pit  and pretend to blow it up.

Jim Hobbs

« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2014, 11:19:06 AM »
Re. BAkers Boy.

Somewhere in the house I have a b & w photo of the street party in Rocky Lane to celebrate VE day. Will try & look it out and upload it (if I can learn how to!)

Jim Hobbs

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2014, 12:08:52 PM »
Hi Jim & Nev and bakers boy and anybody else on this thread I haven't said hello to. Here a few photos of Rocky Lane that you might not recognise straight away.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

ChrisJP

« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2014, 05:39:27 PM »
I was born down the bottom end of Rocky Lane, 1956. At the rear of the house was a rather large hole, on the one edge you could still see the tarmac and layers of the original Rocky Lane. Still have family photos with the slag heap, tower and buckets in the background, as well as the brickworks.

Turbo79

« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2016, 11:00:53 PM »
Hi everybody, does anyone recall a Westwood family living on rocky lane1920s-late 1940s, my grandmother grew up there, amazing how it sounds my nans cousin still lives over the water on the old Walsall Road, alot of my extended family lived there, and further into black Country Rowley Regis, Kingswinford, netherton

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2016, 11:29:02 PM »
Some more images of Rocky Lane, all very early. It's easy to see why it was called Rocky Lane.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy