Author Topic: Celebration Arch  (Read 4095 times)

Mogmeister

Celebration Arch
« on: August 02, 2015, 09:00:04 PM »

Celebration and Welcome Arch on Colemore Row ,Council house to the right and Town Hall straight ahead ,1909 ,  why did they have to take it down .

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Celebration Arch
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 09:59:13 PM »
Mog

Most of these celebration arches were only made from timber cardboard and paper mache.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Mogmeister

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 11:20:23 AM »
Cheers Phil , thats a pity .

Joewoen

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 11:03:31 AM »
Look at those fantastic lamposts around the Council House entrance.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 12:44:40 PM »
Joe

Back then ornate street furniture was everywhere, don't forget labour was dirt cheap so they cost little to produce. This street scene is just around the corner from the Council House in Paradise St.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

planetmalc

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 03:56:47 PM »
Joe

Back then ornate street furniture was everywhere, don't forget labour was dirt cheap so they cost little to produce. This street scene is just around the corner from the Council House in Paradise St.

Today's City Lighting Engineer would have a fit if he saw those   -   all that light being sprayed upwards and wasted! :o      I'm convinced I saw lights like those in the city centre (but not in Paradise Street) when I was a nipper   -   could I have imagined it? ???
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Joewoen

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 09:39:34 AM »
Joe

WOW! BCC, please bring them back. I'm sure I've seen similar along the Victoria Embankment, but smaller.

Mind you, BCC can't even run a fountain in Victoria Square, can't see them doing these wonderful pieces of street furniture.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 11:08:14 AM »
Joe

Birmingham Council has never had a good record when it comes to fountains, look at the one that was installed in the old market hall in the Bull Ring. When it first opened in 1851 there was a fantastic fountain inside the market (see attached drawing) that was removed in 1880 and transferred to Highgate Park (see attached photo).

it lasted there until 1923 when it was removed and scrapped, thus it had a life of 72 years, there are other fountains around England that are hundreds of years old, I can't think of any in Birmingham that has any age with the exception of the Chamberlain Memorial but that is only about a third of it's former size.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

planetmalc

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 04:07:06 PM »
Birmingham Council has never had a good record when it comes to fountains, look at the one that was installed in the old market hall in the Bull Ring. When it first opened in 1851 there was a fantastic fountain inside the market (see attached drawing) that was removed in 1880 and transferred to Highgate Park (see attached photo).

The power required to drive fountain pumps is a waste of good junketing money! :o >:(

If you want to see what can be done with indoor water features, visit The Potteries Centre in Hanley, near Stoke-on-Trent.     This multi-storey shopping centre   -   which is no spring chicken   -   has a cascading waterfall which flows from top-to-bottom, and the whole shebang was positively space-age when first opened. O0      You can also go out onto the roof and take in the surrounding panorama (shades of Birmingham's Lewis's store).
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy