Author Topic: Yardley wood school  (Read 21785 times)

t. Morris

Yardley wood school
« on: August 24, 2015, 02:31:03 AM »
Hi brummies. My dad's birthday is coming up in October. He was born in 1955. I believe he went Yardley wood school. It will be his 60th. I know it is a long shot but I would love to send him class photos of that time from his school for his birthday. Looking forward to reading your posts x

Terry D

Re: Yardley wood school
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 08:24:03 AM »
I, too, would like to know if there is anyone out there who was at Yardley Wood School in the early 50s. I was there in the infants' school from 1951 to 1954 and I recall the headteacher was Miss Messer. There was a Miss Sheffield, Miss Baker and a Mrs Brookes on the staff, but I can't recall any others.

The only names I can remember from my fellow pupils were Richard Williams, Marion Law and Linda Harvey. Also I had a friend in the year below me called Johnny Hinder, who was a near neighbour. I went into the junior school briefly in the autumn term of 1954, but then we moved away from Birmingham.

Terry Davis (one time resident of School Road)

Bannion

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 02:11:12 PM »
I was a few years ahead of you, Terry, I left the senior school there in 1953 when Spickernell was the headmaster.  Would have been long gone from the infants by the time you attended so of little use to on your memory trip.    Home was in Cleeve Road.   

Terry D

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 01:39:27 PM »
Never mind, Bannion, it's good to know someone was around at about the same time. With hindsight, I reckon these days were among the happiest of my life, even if we were still being rationed and no-one had cars.

I still can't help wondering what happened to all those kids I knew back then. Some of them will perhaps have passed on, some will have become wealthy, some will have had bad things happen to them, some will just have had ordinary lives. Who knows?

On a sillier note, I seem to recall walking back along School Road, just where the 13A bus used to terminate. A friend and I managed to persuade the bus driver to stamp our hands with the inked key he had just "clocked in" with at the Bundy clock at the terminus. I kept that hand unwashed for ages!

Terry D

Bannion

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 02:58:39 PM »
Terry.
Am guessing but about ten or so years ago a previous school pupil who lived in the States arranged a reunion of the school and held it at Billesley School in Trittiford Road.    It had a good turnout but apart from an old schoolmate, who travelled there with me, there were non from my year.  Shame but time marches on and folk fall off the perch. move from the area or just plain disinterested.

planetmalc

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 04:30:11 PM »
Terry.
Am guessing but about ten or so years ago a previous school pupil who lived in the States arranged a reunion of the school and held it at Billesley School in Trittiford Road.    It had a good turnout but apart from an old schoolmate, who travelled there with me, there were non from my year.  Shame but time marches on and folk fall off the perch. move from the area or just plain disinterested.

I'm always amazed at just how many people find out about school reunions   -   not so bad today with the Internet and all that, but I went to a couple back in the mid-90's which were surprisingly well-attended.
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Peter Cartwright

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 06:27:48 AM »
I remember Marian Law and her brother Dougie also the parents. Their father was Alan Law of the TGWU and he used to breed budgerigars at their home in Pendeen Road.
Ha ha happy memories.  Furthermore does anyone remember Aylings shop which is or should I say was on the corner of now Patricia Avenue in School Road.  We lived at 219 School Road Next to the Blore family and I used to sing in the Y.W. Church Choir and eventually started playing the organ there.  Went to the school and Mr Garrett was the head and Miss Farrer was head of the girls until they amalgamated.  Horrible "Dickie" Owen was my teacher, a nasty piece of work also "Spikey" Waine who was a great guy. We hit it off because of my musical attributes. I live mainly in Thailand now where I have a villa, but have property in Lancashire. Left Brum in 1979 but returned to Y.W. Church to try out the new organ a few months ago.

Terry D

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 08:26:43 PM »
Thanks, Peter

Glad to know there's someone around who remembers the 1950s and especially the kids I knew then. How come I was so fond of them and yet can't remember their names? Yes, they were happy days and not just because we were kids, but because life seemed simpler then. Or maybe it's because all the adults were just so glad to have got through the war? Who knows?

I have very fond memories of my childhood in the Yardley Wood area and walking to and fro school. We used to discuss whether the vicarage for Christ Church was or was not the biggest house in England! Yeah, right; I still recall with anxiety the kids who insisted on walking across the parapet of the canal bridge in School Road. One slip and they would have been in the drink! I must have been a scaredy cat, because it gave me the shivers just seeing them!

Also the big wagons which used to park up outside the Yardley Wood Social Club; there were huge Slumberland vans and trucks from Cannings the platers. It's bizarre the things you remember!

Terry

john kettle

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 09:57:53 PM »
Well Yardley Wood School  Remember it well Class 3A the man Dickie Owen all boys (Grramham Penrose, Peter Cartwright, Keith Griffin, Robert Seager, David Brooke's, Michael Martin Vicker Roche John Currier, just a few I remember teachers Mr Pratt 3B Spikey Waine music Mr bond metal work Mr Chitty art. In the 5th year Mr Garret, the girls Shirley Lewis, Ann Douglas, Rita Blore, Sylvia Jone, Robert Mantel, head boy,, Rob Mactait, John Dark, Roy Thirsfeild, sadly no longer with us, Phillip Jones I'm still in touch with a few, I'm still in touch with Marion Law she is in Spain and Rita Blore is in Australia, may be in brum in March to see Marion by the way anyone remember Michael Hook that's her husband, I live in Ramsgate kent but still own property in London where I lived for 30 years I hope what I've put on this site jogs your memories God Bless you all John Kettle

Terry D

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 08:45:37 PM »
Thanks, John

So good to know that there are still folks around who remember the same ones that I do. Glad to know that Marion Law is still in touch, and best wishes to her!
Anyone remember a boy named Barry Gumry? He was of Welsh stock, and his dad worked as a driver for Bird's Custard. I recall being very impressed by the big Bedford truck he drove. I was also impressed by the Albion truck that Marion's dad drove. I guess I'm a bit nerdish that way!
I'm still racking my brains for the names of others in my year at Yardley Wood school; the name Michael Wyatt comes to mind, but memory dims! Who were all these kids that I knew and liked so well?
So pleased, John that you said "God bless"; I have come to faith very late in life, but I don't want to "beat people up" about it. I have plenty of scope with the folks of west Wales, where I now live, so I needn't bang on about it any more.

God bless

Terry D

Peter Cartwright

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 03:05:18 PM »
Just a quick hi to John Kettle. I remember he used to live with his Grandmother on the corner of I think Ripon Road and School Road.  Rita Blore you might remember was our next door neighbour until she married and moved to Australia.  I always remember you John in your smart army uniform and your shock of blonde hair.  I hope life has been as kind to you as it has to me.  Great memories eh ! God Bless.  P.S. If you do happen to see Marian nee Law just say I said hello and I still remember her bringing infertile budgies,eggs to school. Ha ha

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy