Author Topic: Yardley wood school  (Read 21784 times)

john kettle

Re: Yardley wood school
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 12:54:04 PM »
Hi Peter Nice to see someone remembers me, yes 182 school rd lived with my nan Mrs miller, yes the army my dad was my RSM based in Warminster had a bad fall and that was me out, are you in contact with John Dark and do you remember Brian Jones he was in the 5th year with us, had two brothers and a sister that sang in the church choir with us Graham Penrose is still about lives in Devon and was it you who got your arm broken at school,and the last time I recall seeing you was in the longboat pub on the canal in birmingham will tell Marion what you said about the eggs god bless JK

Peter Cartwright

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2017, 01:09:02 PM »
Hi John Kettle,  yes I remember the "Jones' " extremely well.  Iris was the oldest, then Philip, then Brian, Roger and the youngest was Martin.  I sang in the choir at Y.W. for years and then started playing the organ there. You, like me have a good memory except it was both my ankles that were broken all due to that idiot Dickie Owen, who pushed me over a vaulting horse in P.E. and when I was near to fainting David "Wizzy" Wyatt gave me a piggy back home much to the disgust of my mother who saw red and complained to the School Board.  Funny guy that Dickie Owen almost a perv. In fact. Always wanted us to take our underpants off in class as he didn't want us to wear anything under our shorts.   :)  I live mainly in Thailand where I have a villa, but do venture back to U.K. Quite often, in fact I am back on 30th March. Good to speak to you John. Take care.

john kettle

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2017, 07:40:25 PM »
Hi Peter yes I remember you braking your ankles Dickie Owen I hated him when you did P/E and vaulting over the pomul horse his favourite I think was Neil Perrins at sport you could not beat him but I won the hundred yards and still have the certificate, did you go on the school trip with him to snowdon we only went there because he came from the village at the bottom that was 3A then Mr Newman had 3b had a pint with him one night in the Heaven he lived 3 doors up from the school entrance, and the place not to go was the teachers rest room be like the days of smog the smoke was bad Mr Garret smoked players gold and he was a fighter pilot in the 2 world war lived in wake green road the swanshurst road end he was temporary head teacher until Miss Farrer arrived, are you in contact with John Dark and ho long are you in birmingham for would love to meet up some day it's a long trip for me but it's nice to chat about the area we live in by the way will tell Gramham Penrose about you, so Neil it was Perkins no good at anything but sport , John

Peter Cartwright

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2017, 09:59:35 AM »
Hi John,  can recall the name Neil Perrins, but the face escapes me.  I didn't go on the trip to Snowdon, maybe you were in a class higher than me.  How old are you now ?
I remember John Dark but am not in touch with him, neither with Graham Penrose.  After I left Brum I just list contact with virtually everyone, even more so when my mother died. I do keep in touch with a school friend, who Marian will know very well, he is Roger Green and used to live in Moira Crescent off Pendeen Road. [email protected] if you want to keep in touch.  I'm back in UK on Thursday and in May I'm off to see my relations in Germany for a couple of weeks.  I only found out that ym father wasn't my real father at all, in fact my real father was German as was my mother....strange what you find out later on in life isn't it.  Take care John.  Peter.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2017, 01:01:20 PM »
I hope you ex Yardley Wood pupils don't mind if I move your thread to the "Old Birmingham Board" as this thread seems to have more to do with chat about your old school than it does photos and video's. It won't make any difference to the thread or what you discuss it just helps to keep things tidy.

By the way, to any new member I haven't yet greeted welcome to the forum.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

john kettle

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2017, 08:33:41 PM »
Can someone remember the name of the wood work teachers name 1957/1960 I still have the money box I made plus the hoe in mr Bonds class

Peter Cartwright

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2017, 07:51:56 AM »
John,

If my memory serves me correctly the name of the teacher you mention was Mr. Harrison and he also took classes for Technical Drawing which I was useless at.  Still, we can't be clever at everything can we ha ha. ;)

john kettle

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2017, 07:51:35 PM »
Thanks Peter and I love technical drawing and trying to get Mr Wayne to play colonel bogie also do you remember the old air raid shelters at the back of the school, I remember my grandmother saying when the bombing got bad they would bring the children from the town and make them coco and sandwiches in the night, they had a sale of furniture in the sixties at the infants school and I bought the Windsor Chair that was in the headmistress office and I still have it John

Keith c mace.

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2017, 07:39:01 PM »

This is my first post on this site...Several names recognised...John Kettle was in my class...Dicky Owen was one of my teachers along with Spikey Wayne....Happy memories of Yardley Wood Secondary Modern Boys School....KC.

Keith c mace.

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2017, 07:45:23 PM »
Hi John....I'm a face from the past....John Dark lived in the same road as me--Riley Road...Best wishes...KC.

john kettle

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2017, 10:48:55 PM »
Hi Keith trying hard to put your name to a face it's what you call getting old, and you cannot for get Spikey Wayne and his 2 stroke BSA Dandy I think that's what it was, and Mr Bond the metal work teacher, some names from the past, David Brooke's, Keith Griffin, Robert Seager, David Shott, Robert Mantel, John Currier, sat next to him in Owens class, I have to homes one in Ramsgate and one in Bloomsbury London there is a box somewhere with photos of the school in must try and locate it and put them on the site, Kindest regards John Kettle.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy