Author Topic: Yardley wood school  (Read 21795 times)

baz

Re: Yardley wood school
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2018, 05:55:53 PM »
This is the 1955 listing from Kelly's Trade Directory, the same year as the photo.

85 Dodds Albt. greengro
87 Colling A. J. fried fish dlr
89 Eyre Ernest A. butcher
91 Horton Arth. E. S. newsagent
93 Phazey H. T. Ltd.chemists
95 Whetton Victor L. grocer
95 YARDLEY WOOD SUBPOST & M. 0. Office

I've only just noticed this.
When I was in Wheelers Lane School there was a kid called Billy Eyre, in the year above me, who was going to work in his Dad's butchers shop when he left school. I wonder if Ernest was his Dad?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2018, 06:07:56 PM »
Sorry Baz,

Other than the information from the directory I have no other knowledge of these shops, perhaps somebody who lived local might be able to give you an answer.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

baz

« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2018, 09:32:54 PM »
Thanks.

Des Gardner

« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2019, 07:37:25 AM »
When forums stop like this quite often people run out of memories (its an age thing) I just wish you could get some decent pictures on here just one class photo would be worth more than words, I just wish it would be easier than it is to post pictures on here, there has to be quite a few pictures out there I have one taken in 1958 the only that mum ever bought..

Keith c mace.

« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2019, 09:25:04 AM »
G'day  Des,  Yes that would be great...I have no school class photographs...One contributer to this site said that he had some which he would post...but nowt yet sadly....KC.

Spud

« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2019, 09:31:42 AM »
When forums stop like this quite often people run out of memories (its an age thing) I just wish you could get some decent pictures on here just one class photo would be worth more than words, I just wish it would be easier than it is to post pictures on here, there has to be quite a few pictures out there I have one taken in 1958 the only that mum ever bought..

If you are having problems Loading Photos to this Forum go to the Home Page and The main Board and click on Birmingham Photos and  Video there you will find instructions on Loading Photos
I am sure you will find there are many old Photos  already on this site. Our friend Phil has a wealth of photos at his disposal I am sure he would be only too pleased to help out if you have a particular interest. He should be back on line in a couple days he is on holiday at the moment.
We have been going as a Forum for a few years and have a number of Old members as well as new ones joining regularly so there always new 'New Old Photos' cropping up
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Pauline

« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2021, 10:13:09 PM »
Hi Peter Cartwright - do you remember me - Pauline Halford?  We were in the same shorthand classes at Yardley Wood

Bazmag

« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2022, 10:06:53 AM »
Just by chance came across  these  posts and recognised  the some names. Keith Mace. You lived next door to me in Riley Rd if you remember Barry Poxon. If you get this, would  be  nice  to say hello and remember. Best wishes Baz.

Keith c mace.

« Reply #74 on: May 26, 2022, 11:08:06 AM »
Hi there Barry,hope all is well for you and yours...On Tuesday I visited 46 Riley Road where I was born and talked to the lady who now lives there...It's changed quite a bit since I lived there...She remembered your family--and a few others...I've posted another thread on this forum about Riley Road...I live in Stourbridge(Since 1967)now,married with two kids and four grandkids...Best Wishes. Keith C. Mace.

Bazmag

« Reply #75 on: May 26, 2022, 05:30:59 PM »
Well well well, fancy making contact with you after all these years, must be over 60 years now.would love to know what you have done with your life,you must be getting on now as i know you are older than me and i am 76.I more than likely know most of the kids that you know, we were around at the same time. one of your friends i did not know until much later in life was Des Gardner, met him early 2000-2001 a keen photographer like myself, both won many gold medals in exhibitions. I am married with one daughter and one adopted daughter and one grandson. Never ventured far, lived in Wythall then Shirley where home is now. do you remember being hit in the mouth with a stone while sheltering in a old car over the cornfields,that was me. Sorry. great to here from you Keith, get typing. best wishes Baz

Keith c mace.

« Reply #76 on: May 26, 2022, 06:03:37 PM »
Worro Barry,Age? I'll be eighty in October,after leaving 46 we moved to Willenhall,but I left soon after to live with my cousin in Billesley...I then joined the army leaving in 1966 when I got married to Diane...I worked at the GPO(B.T.)for twenty years and retired on health grounds in 1986..We then started a courier business but due to a serious accident(Skydiving not biking)sadly had to retire
.We've been in Stourbridge since 1967,travelled worldwide,but now don't venture so far away .Des is a relative of Diane--he married her cousin.My brother Richard who also worked at BT met Graham Nichols some years ago---Small world isn't it?   

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy