Author Topic: Clewes Coaches, Tile Cross Road, Tile Cross  (Read 2172 times)

gary_m_walton

Clewes Coaches, Tile Cross Road, Tile Cross
« on: September 03, 2015, 06:45:02 PM »
Does anybody remember these ( I think that is the spelling) ? As a plane spotter we used to use them every year as they ran coaches to all of the big air shows - Farnborough, Biggin Hill, Gaydon etc.
They used to park their coach (did they only have the one??) on their driveway at Tile Cross road - between Bosworth Drive and the White Hart pub I believe....

I think maybe they had a daughter or son that used to go to Sir Wilfrids or maybe Tile Cross J & I ?

Anyone have any more info like what happened to them and/or the company?

Just interested as they suddenly came to mind the other day, for some reason.

Happy days!
Now, where did I put my time machine ....

Bannion

Re: Clewes Coaches, Tile Cross Road, Tile Cross
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 09:02:45 PM »
Gary,
I know nothing of the company but if you google the name you will find companies of the same name and trade scattered around the country.

townie

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 09:12:48 PM »
Gary as I remember, from Bosworth Drive to the White hart there were houses, then a few shops, then more houses, cant remember a coach company. On the other side of the road were flats and the bus terminus, a few more houses and a shop.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 10:51:43 PM »
Gary

What years are you talking about, was it after the early 70's, because I can find no trace of this company in any Kelly's directory up to that period.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

gary_m_walton

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 11:43:20 PM »
Hi Phil. Found it! It is J E Clews ( no extra 'e') based at 221 Tile Cross Road. There is a little bit of stuff on the Web but not much.  Would be nice to know what happened to them. All the best.

Jacko

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 05:17:35 PM »
Hi, found this pic on the net, regards, John.

gary_m_walton

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 08:03:56 PM »
Oh my god, that's brilliant John! This really takes me back ... If memory serves me, their main bus was a kind of green. All the best, G

Colin27

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 04:44:01 PM »
Just browsing and came across this topic. The J Clews was Joseph and he had 2 sons Carl and Nigel. After their Dad passed away Carl took over the company and as he was based in Handsacre/Armitage did a lot work out that way, school runs etc. i think. I bumped into Carl a couple of years ago and the business was still up and running.

gary_m_walton

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 05:05:09 PM »
Hi Colin and many thanks for that reply. It's great to hear that the company is still going. As mentioned, I have very fond memories of going to airshows with them and represented happy days for me. I appreciate your reply very much. All the best, Gary

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy