Author Topic: Birmingham  (Read 7022 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Birmingham
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2017, 12:28:34 PM »
Lyn

Are they going to demolish it, the amount of years it has stood there whilst everything around it disappeared. I had the impression that it had protected status, mind you not that it matters when the City Planners want to do something.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

astoness

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2017, 01:43:14 PM »
yes phil it is..ive been watching this building for some time now..the plan is to build the citys tallest office block...gawd help us....its an absolute disgrace to demolish yet another historial building but hey ho....we should be used to it by now..bcc do not give a jot for anything historial...oh sorry apart from the coucil house...cant see that going any time soon...

i passed the old music hall the other week and its now surrounding by demo boards...looked to me as though they had already made a start round the back..i used to drink in the pub attached to it

lyn

http://www.birminghampost.co.uk/business/business-news/plans-birminghams-tallest-office-building-9890130

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2017, 01:50:34 PM »
Shame Lyn

I can remember spending part of my misspent youth in there in the early 60's when it was an amusement arcade, I often used to meet up with my mates there, or we used to head for there after being kicked out of the Bull Ring Centre or Woolworths by security.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Potomac

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2017, 02:10:36 PM »
Lyn and Phil,

I am sure it was on this Forum that I saw the comment about Birmingham:  "it will be all right, once it is finished"

I would have added a laughing 'smilie' but truthfully, agreeing with your sentiments, it is no laughing matter[size=78%]![/size]
best wishes,  Alan

astoness

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2017, 02:41:20 PM »
cant imagine you being kicked out of anywhere phil ;D

yes alan i think it was one of our lady members who reminded us of the tongue in cheek saying...it will be alright when its finished...truth is in my opinion brum will never be finished..

lyn

townie

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2017, 03:10:11 PM »
At last ive found out what pub the cinema became. :) 
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

JudithM

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2017, 01:33:33 PM »
I used that 'it'll be alright, once it's finished' line recently (on the Streets of the City thread?) but I can't remember where I heard it the first time  :D

It's such a shame that all these old buildings are going, but I suppose some of them are derelict for so long because no use can be found for them in their current format, so they get demolished (or else because they are too expensive to repair/restore).  I'd have thought though that a former theatre/ballroom would have made for an ideal music venue, or even a night club - maybe the repair bill & possible listed status would have made conversion too costly or too much red tape for it to be viable.

I do get most annoyed when buildings that are in use get taken out to be replaced by stuff that could go anywhere - for instance Rich B itch Recording studios that were demolished for yet more student accommodation.  There's plenty of vacant office space & the like to convert to student apartments, and not so many recording studios - especially ones with such a rich history.  Just think of the outcry if they'd talked about demolishing Abbey Road or similar!
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy