Author Topic: Balsall Heath  (Read 2005 times)

fatbloke666

Balsall Heath
« on: September 24, 2015, 09:23:59 AM »
Looking for help trying to find out about Meakin family,one was a bus driver I believe, who lived in 278/280 Belgrave Road circa 1950's,my nan and granddad lived in Belgrave Road whilst we lived in Balsall Heath Road.

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Balsall Heath
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 11:00:53 AM »
Hi Fatbloke

Sorry the only people I knew that came out of Belgrave Rd was Percy Shurmer the MP,  and Graham a chap who worked for us in the 80's who we knew from the Belgrave Hotel when we used it as a local in the 60's.

Where did you live on Balsall Heath Rd, I knew that a little better as that was where we had out first yard in the 70's.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 02:21:18 PM »
Looking for help trying to find out about Meakin family,one was a bus driver I believe, who lived in 278/280 Belgrave Road circa 1950's,my nan and granddad lived in Belgrave Road whilst we lived in Balsall Heath Road.

fatbloke666.

I can inform you that I was friends with Alan Meakin during the 1950s. Alan and I went to Mary St school when we were in the juniors. I believe Alan went to Hope St seniors on leaving Mary St.  I would say the address you mention will be correct, I went to his house to play many times, his house was down an entry at the Gooch St traffic lights area of Belgrave Rd. I recall turning left down the entry to go down the yard to Alans house.  I clearly remember there being a brick built, community air raid shelter. Alans mother was a portly, friendly, jovial woman she would often give us tomato doorstep sandwiches, made with crusty bread, these were a favourite of Alan's. I don't recall anything of his father, not sure if he was still alive?  Alan could well be the one who became a bus driver, but I don't know for sure. I lost contact with Alan after we left junior school, I went to Dennis Rd. I realise you would like to know more about the family members, and possible whereabouts of any surviving relatives, but hope this snippet about Alan is of some interest to you.

Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

fatbloke666

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 02:35:55 PM »
Thanx Cocacolakid,The address is correct according to the electoral roll of 1950,My nan and granddad Edward Reading lived at 1 back of 224 with my mother Joyce.You can see 3 people living at 280 Belgrave Road one being a Doris E Meakin but next door are 9 people including 5 Meakins,Leonard H,Denis,Joyce,Hilda and a Leonard A Meakin.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 05:45:59 PM »
Fatbloke

It would have to be 280 because number 278 is given as Bryta Decorators (House Decorators) in Kelly's Trade directory for the mid 50's.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

fatbloke666

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 10:50:33 AM »
Thanx Phil,as I said the electoral roll clearly has Meakins living at 278 and 280 Belgrave Road,it may have changed in the mid fifties but in 1950 Doris E Meakin lived at 280 with 2 Gines family members whilst at 278 lived 9 people including 5 Meakins,including Denis and a Leonard  and a Hilda whose maiden name was I believe Barnes.My Nan and Grandad whose surname was Reading lived at 1 back of 224 Belgrave Road.My mother Joyce was living at nan and granddads at the time she had me,ie born 1950

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy