Author Topic: Work history  (Read 2298 times)

irish joe

Work history
« on: September 25, 2015, 12:12:12 PM »
Hello all. I was born in Birmingham of irish parents. I living in Ireland now I have been for 43 years. I still vaguely remember bits. Lived in Clarence road, Sparkhill. still view it by Google maps.

I am trying to trace some history of my parents employment. Father worked in Dennisons watch factory Hansworth, and the Douglas construction Hansworth, worked for a Billy Attridge in Hansworth. and for  Connoiiy brothers in Balsall Heath

My mother also worked in dennisons

if anyone has any info on the above. proper addresses whether companies still exist....etc
it would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

Irishjoe

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Work history
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 01:10:44 PM »
Hi Joe

I'm afraid I can't help much, but I will do what I can. Let me start by saying that I think all these businesses may no longer be trading as I cannot find any trace of them today, but that would need further confirmation.

R M Douglas Contractors Ltd
395 George Road Erdington
Birmingham 23.

Later Tilbury Douglas Construction
of Walsall Rd, Perry Barr.

Dennison Watch Case Company
28 Villa Rd
Handsworth
Birmingham

James Martin Connolly
Athole Street
Balsall Heath
Birmingham 12.

I hope this is of some help to you.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

irish joe

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 03:31:39 PM »
Thank you so much for yor prompt reply Phil. I am aware those business may not be trading anymore but it is a stepping stone in the right direction for me. thank you I am very grateful

regards

Irish joe

Jacko

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 04:24:22 PM »
Here's a photo of the Dennison Watch Case Co and associated companies on Soho Hill nr Hockley flyover, John.

john griff

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 12:14:52 PM »
hi joe,,,,,, i to worked for r m  douglas  at erdington,,,,,in the 60s i served an apprenticship there,,,,i also went to school english martyrs stratford rd near clarence rd,,,,,,arthur attridge was a customer of the talk of the town club stratfor d rd,   james and martin connolly have long ceased  trading,,,,both men having passed away,,,, douglas were a good firm,,,,it was only as i got older i found some terrible  firms in the building game,,,often running off with your wages,,,  subcontractors,,,,,,i quickly learned to stay with proper firms, like douglas,,,,,,,,,best regards ,,,,,

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy