Author Topic: Born or brought up in Birmingham. Would you?  (Read 65472 times)

Phil

• Global Moderator
Re: Born or brought up in Birmingham. Would you?
« Reply #385 on: December 14, 2018, 03:34:13 PM »
Hi Michael

Welcome to the forum, you certainly seemed to have moved around Birmingham a lot. I see that you have classed Caldwell Road interestingly as Saltley. I would have thought more Alum Rock or even Bordesley Green and I would never have dreamt Saltley, but there again back then districts didn't seem to have any definable borders and they just seemed to melt into each other.
Make Love Not War

Old South Yardley76

« Reply #386 on: December 14, 2018, 07:42:43 PM »
Hi Michael

Welcome to the forum, you certainly seemed to have moved around Birmingham a lot. I see that you have classed Caldwell Road interestingly as Saltley. I would have thought more Alum Rock or even Bordesley Green and I would never have dreamt Saltley, but there again back then districts didn't seem to have any definable borders and they just seemed to melt into each other.

Yes, your quite right, well, actually it is or was classed as Bordesley green east. But remember i was five years old so my knowledge/memories are limited. But definitely not alum rock sides.....

Thank you for the welcome, and yes i do tend to get around for sure!  :)

Empson

« Reply #387 on: January 20, 2019, 06:18:07 PM »
I have spent some time reading the numerous posts on this thread. There is obviously a whole lot of love for our hometown.(yup, Iím a Brummie too!). I can see that there has been some improvement to the fabric of the city but it does seem that the people are not the same. Birmingham is not ĎBrummagemí. Itís no longer Brummies that work in the city or use the library or attend the theatres itís now a cosmopolitan race. Man is gregarious and no doubt each of the old great cities of our island kingdom had that warmth of feeling for each other. Like so many, Birmingham is now full of strangers.
Hereís a question for you.  What will HS2 do to our native home?
My view is this.  London is full. There ainít no land for building houses,homes of whatever size. Costs are high so one needs to be very highly paid or already a millionaire. HS2 therefore is not being built (unless itís cancelled) to bring trade to the North. Birmingham has an international airport. HS2 is to bring commuters into London quickly. No one wants a two or three hour commute, perhaps longer. London business needs people as it expands but thereís no place to house themselves they have to be transported .
What does that do for Birmingham? Does it become a dormitory town. Of course if we do manage to escape the tenuous tentacles of Brussells. HS 2 might be culled.  What do you think as The few Brummies thatare left?