Author Topic: Born or brought up in Birmingham. Would you?  (Read 114505 times)

townie

Born or brought up in Birmingham. Would you?
« on: October 10, 2015, 07:37:00 PM »
Was you born or brought up in Birmingham, do you still reside there and if not would you ever return?

I will start off: I was born in Marston Green which at the time came under Warwickshire, however I spent my childhood, youth and early twenties in South Yardley and Shard End. I loved every minute and wouldn't change it for anything. Would I go back to Birmingham, never not even if it was rent/mortgage free and you paid me to live there!   
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Mogmeister

Re: Born or brought up in Birmingham. Would you?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 09:32:42 PM »
Born in Stechford , moved to Erdington and for the past few years Great Barr .

townie

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 09:39:52 PM »
Mog it seems you like Birmingham and are a stalwart ( staunch, loyal, faithful, committed, devoted, dedicated ) Good for you. 

RoyMcC

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 12:40:56 PM »
Lived in Brum (Sheldon) for 24 years and would be happy to return one day - still feels like home though I've been away a long time.

planetmalc

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 04:20:29 PM »
I've always lived in and around Brum and think it's OK, but I'd move to the seaside if I could afford it.
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Spud

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 06:05:03 PM »
Born in Handsworth and then  lived in Sparkhill for 22years and then around 1962 moved to the first house which we actually owned  in Tyseley . Moved to Hall Green, our second house, Lived there for 7/8 years and have lived in our present house on the Hall Green/Shirley border for the last 38 years. Have I ever thought of moving? Not that seriously when some of our friends moved to Australia about 30 years ago we did think about it, but I had elderly parents and being an only child I felt responsible and having a couple of Girls we thought it wrong to make their minds up for them. Although I do have a soft spot for The Portsmouth Southampton area that probably goes back to childhood holidays.
Do I regret staying in Brum? Not one bit I married a Brummie Girl and have had quite a life in the second City I still have friends dating back 70 years and still keep in touch through the Internet and we meet up occasionally. I am sure those who moved away did so for good reason and good luck to them but I like our Second City. I love to see how it has developed what about our new Station? Our wonderful QE hospital the Theatres The University the Symphony Hall. The old place still has a few warts but warts are easily cured. What I really love to see is visitors from abroad and from around the UK milling about our great city taking photographs of Bully outside our Bull Ring Centre our Library our new Station. I am Big City Brummie and I like it so there !
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

page

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 09:29:00 PM »
Was born in Belmont Row then Spooner St  then Ryland Rd Erdington   then Tyburn rd,  Got married moved to Hampstead Rd  then bought a house on Bromford  stayed there for fifteen years the moved to Brockhurst Rd Hodge Hill stayed for twenty years , I now live by Bridgnorth.  Would I move back to Brum no no no,  when I moved from Brockhurst there were only about six whites left in the road, no friends left in the road did not feel like home anymore, so there you are,  when I am in Brum it now feels like I could be in any city.

baz

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 10:46:04 AM »
I was nearly born in Brum but thanks to the attention of the Luftwaffe, Our Mom was carted off to Leamington for the birth.
A short stay in bomb-blasted Winson St was followed by a swift move to Sladepool Farm Rd.
My first school was Highters Heath, then Wheelers Lane.
I left school and. worked about a year at Birmingham co-op.
In '57 I joined the army and visits to Brum became few and far between.
Married to a Welsh girl, demob landed me in Crewe, Cheshire.
After the death of my first wife I finally ended up in a town called Sandbach, (junction 17, M6).
Would I move back to Brum ? Everybody I used to know has gone and it's nice around here, I'm staying put.

greenbrummie

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 10:49:47 AM »
Born in Brum, lived in Brum for 20 years and then just outside the city for the rest of my life,     You can take the girl out of Brum but you can,t take the Brum out of the girl.   The ever changing Birmingham city centre still fascinates me

frederick

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 03:18:43 PM »
Born in Brum but I didn't know where until 2008 as I was adopted. I was born at 58 Cranes park rd Sheldon. Lived at 58 Leamington rd until I got married in 1968, bought a house in Sheldon then because of kids moving in that couldn't speak English at the schools we did a post code move to Solihull which was a white area then.   O0  In 1984 we had a change of business and moved to Pembrokeshire.  O0    O0    And having been back to Brum where I used to live I would not come back there or any city to live as cities are just one very big rat race.    :(      :o    I have become a country bumpkin and you can keep the rat race.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

townie

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 07:39:12 PM »
I think this is good talking point ( Thread ) I notice there are 2 people on this forum who won't comment, but can't name them for forum rules. Keep the comments coming.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy