Author Topic: Born or brought up in Birmingham. Would you?  (Read 114480 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Born or brought up in Birmingham. Would you?
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2015, 07:26:04 PM »
Of the three main locations I lived in Birmingham in my earlier years, Balsall Heath, Sparkbrook, & Nechells, I see no reason why I wouldn't return to Balsall Heath or Nechells if I had to and the only place I would be doubtful over returning to is Sparkbrook. The reason for that being as my told to me by my uncle who had planned to finish out his days there until the Council in it's infinite wisdom decided to settle people from two opposing tribes of Somali refugees there. He told me that because it was open warfare on the streets every night of the week and the police wouldn't even come out when called that he decided that for the safety of his family that he decided to sell up and move out to Wythall.

Personally I have lived in Solihull now for twice as long as I lived in Birmingham, but I still consider myself a Brummy and even now when filling forms in I have to stop myself putting Birmingham as my location.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

vamann

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2015, 07:48:29 PM »
Born in Perry Barr, Dewsbury Grove.  Moved to Water Orton after 25 years then Cheswick Green for another 4 years. Moved to Durham for 10 years then Bramhall Cheshire for 5 years.  Moved to Chester for 7 years then South west Cornwall for 7 years.  Moved to Torquay for 5 years then moved back to Southwest Cornwall, still here.

Cokey

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2015, 10:53:03 PM »
Born in Devon Street 1948.  Raised in Brum until I was 17 then joined the RAF.  Would I go back to Brum - not a chance.  Went on a recent visit with a mate of mine (also a Brummie) for a drive/walk down memory lane.  We both had a lot of old "stomping grounds", such as Alum Rock Road, Saltley, Nechells, Duddeston Mill, the Manor pub, the Victoria pub, the Gate pub Saltley, the Rock pub, the Pelham Arms, the Sportsman, the Train, the Monkey House, the Glebe and so on - more pubs than I can remember.  The area in which I was born (not far from Mrs Temple's shop at the junction of Devon Street and Duddeston Mill Road) is now an industrial estate.  The "Rock" (Alum Rock Road) is just beyond belief and even a "nice" area - Washwood Heath/Ward End Park (when I was young) -  is nothing like I remember it.  Although the City centre has undergone some amazing transformations (Library excluded),there is no way I would want to move back to the area in which I was born - I would probably feel like a foreigner in my own birthplace.  :-[

townie

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2015, 10:59:11 PM »
Born in Devon Street 1948.  Raised in Brum until I was 17 then joined the RAF.  Would I go back to Brum - not a chance.  Went on a recent visit with a mate of mine (also a Brummie) for a drive/walk down memory lane.  We both had a lot of old "stomping grounds", such as Alum Rock Road, Saltley, Nechells, Duddeston Mill, the Manor pub, the Victoria pub, the Gate pub Saltley, the Rock pub, the Pelham Arms, the Sportsman, the Train, the Monkey House, the Glebe and so on - more pubs than I can remember.  The area in which I was born (not far from Mrs Temple's shop at the junction of Devon Street and Duddeston Mill Road) is now an industrial estate.  The "Rock" (Alum Rock Road) is just beyond belief and even a "nice" area - Washwood Heath/Ward End Park (when I was young) -  is nothing like I remember it.  Although the City centre has undergone some amazing transformations (Library excluded),there is no way I would want to move back to the area in which I was born - I would probably feel like a foreigner in my own birthplace.  :-[

Cokey In my years of being on this forum. That is probably the best and honest answer I have heard. 
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Joewoen

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2015, 04:13:33 PM »
Cokey In my years of being on this forum. That is probably the best and honest answer I have heard.

Come on townie, you only reckon that is the best and most honest answer because you agree with it 100 %, you wouldn't return to Brum, even if you could live rent free.

They do say it's never a good thing to try and go back. I quite agree with that, no way will it ever be the same and it's never as good as you remember. Brum of all cities has transformed probably more than most. A few years back I went around the suburbs trying to locate several of my ancestors houses. They were either a road, an industrial estate or replaced, all except one in Hay Mills. That's just the way it is.

Personally I still love the city and long to move back. I love the tremendous improvements they have made to the city centre, ridding it of most of the terrible 1960's rubbish. There are some cracking suburbs that I would gladly move into. The city has an energy and I love its buzz. I think the plans for the city will see it go on from strength to strength. If I moved back I would not expect to recreate my childhood, I would be looking forward to the future.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2015, 04:22:38 PM »
Joe

I spent around ten years of my life on and off living in Nechells and without a doubt I would much rather live in the area as it is now than it was then. Like yourself I know that none of the houses I lived in between birth and the age of 21 exist today in fact none of the streets exist today, well a couple of them do in name only.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2015, 04:27:40 PM »
Joewoen Where did you live when in Birmingham?
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Snooks

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2015, 06:17:00 AM »
I was born in Lordswood Maternity hospital and grew up in Edgbaston attending George Dixon Primary School and Bartley Green Girls Grammar School. I went to college in London and have lived in many places around the country, Worthing, Lancaster, Peterborough, Reading, Worcester and many more before finally settling in North Devon.

My Mum & Dad were Welsh and settled in Brum because of his job.

I LOVED growing up in Brum and had a wonderful childhood and teen years. I have many happy memories and because I have many friends still in the area I return quite frequently and always enjoy my visits.

I am now married to a Devonian and love it here. I used to love returning to Wales, too and have lived longer in the countryside than in the town.

Would I ever go back? I would never say "Never". I always thought if anything happened to my husband I might return to my roots as I still have many friends there but now my son and grandchildren are moving back to Devon I can't see me ever leaving here and I have a solid network of friends here, too. So, I will stick to my visits, which I enjoy and fortunately, so does my husband. In truth, I have everything in Devon a wonderful life, Cornwall on the doorstep, fifteen minutes to the beach and as I live out in the sticks I have the changing face and colours of the countryside all year round and yet not too far from the village and small market town. If I want a taste of the city a 40 mile trip takes me to Exeter.

So, with the added attraction of my family returning. I will stay put.

Onwards and upwards!

Joewoen

« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2015, 05:52:51 PM »
Snooks, that's what it all boils down to isn't it, family. We have considered living abroad, and it would have been great, except for family being back home.

I lived in Sheldon during primary school years, Warley Woods /Ridgacre secondary school. Nottingham for uni. When returned, mum and dad had  moved to Acock's Green /Olton. When first married moved to Alum Rock. Work then took me to London and now Reading. Children nearly flying the nest now, so we hope to move back to the Midlands, but that will be a few years yet. My siblings are still in the Midlands, but not in Brum.

Snooks

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2015, 06:47:43 PM »
Wow, Joe - I lived in Shinfield Reading for 5 years... whereabouts are you?

The Midlands has a definite draw when you think of the countryside... Clent, Kinver, Shropshire, The Black Country, Worcestershire and much more... The shopping in Brum is terrific, some great eating places too!

Good luck with your plans!
Onwards and upwards!

Joewoen

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2015, 07:00:43 PM »
Wow, Joe - I lived in Shinfield Reading for 5 years... whereabouts are you?

The Midlands has a definite draw when you think of the countryside... Clent, Kinver, Shropshire, The Black Country, Worcestershire and much more... The shopping in Brum is terrific, some great eating places too!

Good luck with your plans!

I was working on the Shinfield Road  (not sure that counts   ;D) until 2 years back. I live in the Newbury end of Tilehurst.

Agree about the countryside, visited Stourport recently, what a little jem that is.

As for shopping, well they did try with the Oracle, but the town just doesn't do it like Birmingham. Do I sound homesick?  ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy