Author Topic: Born or brought up in Birmingham. Would you?  (Read 114744 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Born or brought up in Birmingham. Would you?
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2015, 07:09:16 PM »
Joe

I would agree with you about Stourport and we visit at least two or three times a year the Grandchildren love it and the wife and I find plenty of places to amuse us. Mind you all around that area including Evesham, Worcester & the Cotswolds is beautiful plus the added bonus it can all be reached within an hour from Brum, if traffic allows it because its not a very well kept secret.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Snooks

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2015, 07:10:08 PM »
I lived in Tamarisk Avenue a little cul-de-sac close to Shinfield Green and I know Tilehurst... well, well!

Stourport, Stourbridge, Bewdley, Bridgenorth - they're all great oh and Bromsgrove and Kidderminster - too!

Homesick? Well just a tad lol  ;)
Onwards and upwards!

Joewoen

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2015, 07:31:43 PM »
I lived in Tamarisk Avenue a little cul-de-sac close to Shinfield Green and I know Tilehurst... well, well!

Stourport, Stourbridge, Bewdley, Bridgenorth - they're all great oh and Bromsgrove and Kidderminster - too!

Homesick? Well just a tad lol  ;)

Small world eh Snooks. We live just off City Road near Turnham's House .

Phil, unfortunately Stourport was on a BBC programme recently, looking at the history of the canals. Expect even more visitors in the future. It even has a great little fairground doesn't it. Must be great place to take the grandchildren.

4orchard

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2015, 03:16:01 PM »
Hi cokey good to hear from someone from the same location as myself I remember being in the boy scouts and meeting at the old school in Devon St
Do you remember the Richards factory in Cato St north I have just past it on the train from bham amazed its still there although derelict that and the old library in Saltley road is about all I recognise

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2015, 03:30:49 PM »
Hi 4Orchard

I worked in the building you describe as "Richards" in the mid 60's at that time it was owned by Chance Brothers a company that did tube bending, mostly pram handles as I remember, I took this photo of the building when I was down that way in 2008 it was looking pretty dilapidated even then.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Joewoen

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2015, 08:13:34 PM »
Hi 4Orchard

I worked in the building you describe as "Richards" in the mid 60's at that time it was owned by Chance Brothers a company that did tube bending, mostly pram handles as I remember, I took this photo of the building when I was down that way in 2008 it was looking pretty dilapidated even then.

Lovely building. Do you know if there are any plans to convert this to modern use Phil?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2015, 08:50:37 PM »
Joe

I have no idea, I'll take a look at the protected building list later and tell you if I find out anything. It's obviously listed or else it would have been gone a long time ago, Birmingham Council or the owners or both are waiting for it to become a danger to the public so they will have an excuse to demolish it. This is why most listed buildings that no one wants to be bothered with mysteriously lose their roof or at least half of it so the weather can get in.

I can tell you part of it's history it began life as the Vale of Evesham Brewery, The Old City Brewery and even Holders Brewery I believe, though I'm not sure in what order that was. In the 50's and 60's it was turned to industrial use until I suppose the building became too dilapidated to use.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Joewoen

« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2015, 09:21:04 PM »
Joe

I have no idea, I'll take a look at the protected building list later and tell you if I find out anything. It's obviously listed or else it would have been gone a long time ago, Birmingham Council or the owners or both are waiting for it to become a danger to the public so they will have an excuse to demolish it. This is why most listed buildings that no one wants to be bothered with mysteriously lose their roof or at least half of it so the weather can get in.

I can tell you part of it's history it began life as the Vale of Evesham Brewery, The Old City Brewery and even Holders Brewery I believe, though I'm not sure in what order that was. In the 50's and 60's it was turned to industrial use until I suppose the building became too dilapidated to use.

Thanks for all that Phil. It's not always bad news for these old buildings, look at the cycle works in Belmont Rrow and stacks of old premises are coming back to life in the Jewellery Quarter. I always thought that they removed the roof on purpose, to drastically reduce council tax payment.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2015, 09:30:27 PM »
Thanks for all that Phil. It's not always bad news for these old buildings, look at the cycle works in Belmont Rrow and stacks of old premises are coming back to life in the Jewellery Quarter. I always thought that they removed the roof on purpose, to drastically reduce council tax payment.

Joe

Those days finished years ago, besides it used to be the whole roof that had to be removed, not just part of it or a large hole.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

planetmalc

« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2015, 04:08:05 PM »
I always thought that they removed the roof on purpose, to drastically reduce council tax payment.

My employers used to make their unused buildings non-rateable by emptying them and keeping them locked.
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Joewoen

« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2015, 05:05:53 PM »
Phil, I looked up the building in Cato Street. It is listed as a Grade A  Locally Listed Building. This means that if anyone attempts to knock it down or alter it dramatically, they will be referred to the Secretary of State.

It says that the brewery was Hutton's. Does that make sense? I have never heard of them.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy