Author Topic: Born or brought up in Birmingham. Would you?  (Read 114510 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Born or brought up in Birmingham. Would you?
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2015, 05:51:59 PM »
Joe

Thanks I haven't gotten around to it yet, but when I last looked this building up (last year) it was still only a Grade C Listing which gave it no statutory protection.

Yes I have heard the name Hutton connected with the old brewery but I have myself never heard of that particular brewery, perhaps they were the last of the line of brewers that actually owned the premises and all the industrial users to come after only leased the building.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2015, 01:20:38 PM »
I was born in Olton and grew up in Solihull.  Since leaving home I have lived in various parts of Birmingham ever since (apart from an 18 month stint in Tamworth  :-\ )

I lived near the Villa ground for a while and then at 3 different addresses around the Lozells/Birchfield/Newtown are for around a decade before finally moving to the Rubery area, where I still live.  I am in Birmingham - just about (though if you cross the road into the fields opposite my house you cross the border!).  I love where I live. I live on the edge of a housing estate so it's countryside across the road and public footpaths to explore and a country park 3 1/2 minutes walk from my front door.

I think most people assume that when you say you live in Birmingham you live in the built up inner city.  There are plenty of areas of Birmingham that are nothing like that.

I'm a country girl at heart and didn't like living near the city centre (even though it was very convenient to be able to walk home from work (and the pub  ::) )), and I wouldn't do it by choice again, but where I live now - fine  :)
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2015, 01:37:50 PM »
Judith

I lived in Deptford & New Cross in South London for a while in the 60's and I was always trying to get my girlfriend at the time to spend some time in Birmingham, She had the typical London stereotype vision of Birmingham of smoky factories, dirty streets and slum housing and always refused to come. With this in mind I have to ask anybody reading this did they ever see Deptford & New Cross in the 60's? What she had described was home.

I finally got her to spend a weekend here, and I took her around to some of the better places in Birmingham, the Town Centre was brand new then and still sparkled, I took her to Cannon Hill Park and the Lickeys, in short after the weekend she was converted and she loved Birmingham that much she wanted us to move back here, but it never happened because we parted not long after and I came back to Birmingham on my own.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

4orchard

« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2015, 07:07:32 PM »
Hi phill I lived next but one to the building in the photogrāph ,it was defiānatly J H Richārds who used to repair vehicle engines such as rebores crānkshafts and white metal bearings chānce brothers was next door who as you say did metal tube bending for prams .from our bāck yard I could just reach the windows of Richārds with a decent catapult!!!! WHAT A VANDAL

4orchard

« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2015, 07:27:50 PM »
Hi joewen glad to hear the building is listed although I did suspect that must be the case as surely it would have been pulled down years ago as I have already said in a reply to Phil it dominated my skyline for the first 19 years of my life and stood the test of my best catapult

Snooks

« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2015, 07:30:44 PM »
My husband is Devonian and I have introduced him to Brum and the surrounding countryside and all the area has to offer and he, too, now loves it!
Onwards and upwards!

Paulina

« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2015, 08:41:53 PM »
I was born in South Yardley, lived in Balsall Heath for about five years, and then Weoley Castle.  No I wouldnt want to move back to Brum, as much as I always loved it.  But now I have settled down in Ontario, Canada.

Joewoen

« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2015, 09:51:28 PM »
Phil, I met my future wife whilst working in London. There came a point when we decided to live in Birmingham. Without exception, all her friends asked her why she would want to live there, looking down their nose. It was interesting that none of them had been outside London.

My wife loves Birmingham, inspite of being a Camberwell girl. But she does get a bit miffed that strangers say to her, I know where you're from. ....Brum. She has a better Brummie accent than I have, inspite of not living there for a while.

She loved the easy access to culture. We went to the theatre every week, Symphony Hall is better than anything in London and of course ticket prices are way cheaper. Obviously the quality of shopping helped and all relatively close together.

It thrills me when friends down here tell me they are going to Brum and they all come back amazed at how good it is. All except one couple, who somehow went the wrong way and ended up at the 5 Ways Shopping Centre and wasn't impressed.  ::) 

Joewoen

« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2015, 09:53:34 PM »
Hi joewen glad to hear the building is listed although I did suspect that must be the case as surely it would have been pulled down years ago as I have already said in a reply to Phil it dominated my skyline for the first 19 years of my life and stood the test of my best catapult

So it was you who started the rot orchard?  The council may want a bit of compensation you know.  :)

4orchard

« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2015, 04:17:39 PM »
hi Joweon  do you mean the rot in the building and i only said i could reach the windows with my catapult i didnt say i broke any, or at least i think i didnt does this mean i have got to go in to hiding until the heat dies down ? 

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2015, 05:03:09 PM »
4orchard

Breaking windows and damaging roofs are one way of letting the weather into buildings. It's the weather that causes the damage especially when rain and snow freezes in the brickwork. Another cause of damage to many listed buildings seem to be the mysterious arsonists that get into boarded up buildings, but they seem to concentrate on pubs. You didn't use to shoot firebombs from your catapult did you?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy