Author Topic: Born or brought up in Birmingham. Would you?  (Read 114471 times)

Terry B

Re: Born or brought up in Birmingham. Would you?
« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2015, 02:42:53 PM »
Phil,

Regarding "what happened when I went to the end of the road ..." I wrote and posted far more than has appeared! The story didn't have any great revelations, other than to say that at the end of our road (Wake Green Road) three districts came together. To the left was Hall Green, to the right, Kings Heath and behind me Moseley!

Brook Lane, Kings Heath was dual carriageway at that point and was superb for sledging in the snow, apart from the road cut through for the Hurst.

We could easily walk into the Dingles and follow the River Rea up to Tritiford Park. Behind us was a field and the remains of the old Wake Green Road with stretches of paved road quite visible. The road took a dog leg turn just before the school playing fields to come out on Wake Green Road, as we know it now, about where the first prefab sits next to a permanent house. Opposite this was a farm building that became a garage and filling station.

Mostly happy days but I live in Lancashire now and have no intention of returning. I don't like what's happened to Sparkbrook, Sparkhill and Kings Heath. I miss my family and friends though and will always be grateful for the work and training opportunities that Brum provided. 

tallderek

« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2016, 03:37:21 AM »
Born in Bilbrook Grove Weoley Castle, lived in West Heath, Kings Heath, Hollywood and now am in the mountains of West Virginia in the USA, waiting for the big snow to hit tomorrow

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2016, 02:51:05 PM »
Hi Derek

Welcome to the forum, its a long way from Weoley Castle to West Virginia, Have you run into Stan & Ollie yet?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tallderek

« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2016, 03:19:34 PM »
No Phil,
No Stan and Ollie this is the land of the red-neck hill billies. No flat ground, a billion trees, rivers that make the Severn look like a stream and a kerzillion deer who like to run across unlit roads all the time!
 Oh and snow, it's a white-out at the moment.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2016, 03:58:44 PM »
Derek

Last I heard Stan & Ollie were in the Blue Ridge Mountains of West Virginia on the trail of the lonesome Pine. Are you in a different part of West Virginia?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkgyvNi0Fyw
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tallderek

« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2016, 04:24:39 PM »
I am Phil. The Blue Ridge Mountains run down the east side of the state along the Virginia/West Virginia state line. I'm in the west side where the Appalachian's drop down into the valley of the Ohio River. Not as mountainous here but very, very beautiful country.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2016, 04:37:02 PM »
Well now that we have sorted out where you are, you can get stuck in and enjoy the forum.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Snooks

« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2016, 07:02:10 PM »
 :)  Delighted to meet you and would love to know how you ended up in the States... Come and have some fun in the Games Room, which keeps all the grey cells working.... at least we hope they do!   O0
Onwards and upwards!

tallderek

« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2016, 07:11:11 PM »
Hi Snooks,

Nice to meet you too. How did I end up in the States? The short answer is 5'1", green eyes, long blonde hair and she's standing at the window looking out at the winter storm.

townie

« Reply #75 on: January 22, 2016, 07:14:57 PM »
Got anymore preferably with money LOL  O0 from the Birmingham area.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Snooks

« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2016, 02:03:35 AM »
Nice to meet you too. How did I end up in the States? The short answer is 5'1", green eyes, long blonde hair and she's standing at the window looking out at the winter storm.[/size]

Sounds good to me. I wonder if we're related... ;) At least I share your good lady's eye and hair colour...  :)
Hope the storm isn't too devastating - we've been hearing all about it on our local news. Expect it  will travel across the pond to us. We've had the most appalling weather to start January. But, I'm always optimistic - it's bound to get better. Good to meet you!  O0
Onwards and upwards!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy