Author Topic: Born or brought up in Birmingham. Would you?  (Read 114492 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Born or brought up in Birmingham. Would you?
« Reply #286 on: August 22, 2016, 12:21:46 PM »
Fred

So in reality not so easy to get a house there either unless you are buying, and of course there are no immigrants in Wales and work is easy to find?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #287 on: August 22, 2016, 12:32:25 PM »
Brumdave take a look at the last page be interesting to see your views. I have looked for another forum but when I seen the names of the moderators no thanks. 
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

gary collins

« Reply #288 on: August 22, 2016, 03:08:54 PM »
i  was born in the same room as my mother in monica rd and went to oldknow rd school left school in 1970 and started at the GPO. i left bham in 1979 to live in brumie overspill town of tamworth.. i left work 3 years ago and moved to torquay... i would not despite many good memory's go back to brum as it has changed so much gary

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #289 on: August 22, 2016, 04:41:09 PM »
2015 in Australia 300+ Murders mostly involving shootings or stabbings, population less than 25 million, over 60 murders in the city I live which is Brisbane, Paramedics Hospital staff and Police getting beaten up by people under the influence of Ice, people getting bashed up because of road rage, suburbs being taken over by gangs of migrant youths, trust me the violence and fear associated with Birmingham is a problem in just about every city in the Western World and its only going to get worse, I am just happy to be 73 and on my way out but I do fear for my Grandchildren, sorry but when I hear people saying how scared they are where they live it just goes over my head I just think wow join the club.

Brumdave,

It's pretty clear to me that you mean over 300 murders in 2015 in the whole of Australia and I can't see why anyone would think it was a week. At 571 murders in 2015 allowing for the population difference it seems the OZ & the UK are more or less the same.

It might interest you to know just where Birmingham comes in a list of highest crime rate cities in the UK.

http://worldknowing.com/top-10-highest-crime-rate-cities-in-the-uk/

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #290 on: August 22, 2016, 05:24:30 PM »
Brumdave,

It's pretty clear to me that you mean over 300 murders in 2015 in the whole of Australia and I can't see why anyone would think it was a week. At 571 murders in 2015 allowing for the population difference it seems the OZ & the UK are more or less the same.

It might interest you to know just where Birmingham comes in a list of highest crime rate cities in the UK.

It was me yipp ee yes me who asked about the murders
[/quote

brumdave

« Reply #291 on: August 22, 2016, 09:26:06 PM »
Ever thought of emigrating back to Birmingham, as you think its so good. No violence, no robbery's no nothing not even a council house but you are welcome just like the rest of the world. I'm sure the street wardens won't move you on if your sleeping outside a shop, just say your in the queue for the sales.   

Townie you are a very funny guy I love reading your posts, by the way if I did return to Brum which is on the cards I would pay cash for a new house on one of the new estates that are being built in the area I grew up, one of the great things about Australia is if you work hard pay into superanuation you can enjoy pleasant enjoyable life free of financial problems.

townie

« Reply #292 on: August 22, 2016, 09:34:24 PM »
Townie you are a very funny guy I love reading your posts, by the way if I did return to Brum which is on the cards I would pay cash for a new house on one of the new estates that are being built in the area I grew up, one of the great things about Australia is if you work hard pay into superanuation you can enjoy pleasant enjoyable life free of financial problems.

Brumdave I am certainly not a funny guy as you put it. I tell it the way things are if you are seriously thinking of coming back to Birmingham let me be the one who shows you around, now that's funny.

Hey you ever thought about an exchange

brumdave

« Reply #293 on: August 22, 2016, 09:35:17 PM »
Brumdave,

Thanks for the backup Phil, yes things are pretty much equal in both countries, I said in one of my first posts on this subject that returning to Brum would be like home away from home, thanks for the link regarding crime in British cities, I think that considering Birmingham is the 2nd biggest city in the UK it faired pretty well, I would say there are more miserable ex Brummys living out of the city than there are people living in it, after reading most of the threads attached to this subject people that still live there seem quite happy but people that no longer live there seem miserable, maybe they really do miss the place ;)

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #294 on: August 22, 2016, 10:04:35 PM »
hi dave its not a case of being miserable in my case its a case of getting away from the rat race and living in the part of the country that I love  I'm about 40 minuets by train from brum center and wife and I go in to brum  a lot of folk go to the sea side to live  not me  it seems to me that's  what a lot of brum folk do it helps to make room for other folk to take your place

now if you went to a town called Weston super mare that's about 90 miles south of brum you will find 1000s of folk who have hit 65 sold up and moved  to Weston in fact a lot of folk call it brum by the sea  for some its fulfilling a dream  I have friends who live there and would not move back to brum
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #295 on: August 22, 2016, 10:41:18 PM »
Roy

As I think I have said before on the forum, when growing up in the slums of Birmingham my ambition was to one day live in either Sutton Coldfield or Solihull. Even back then I had no ambition to move miles away from Birmingham as both places are only suburbs of Birmingham as far as I am concerned. Like everywhere else in the world both places are now not the places they once were.

I managed to buy a house in Solihull when I was 21 when I got married and I have lived here ever since. My business was based in Birmingham until I retired and we sold up. I did all my roaming around England before then spending a few months here and there in most of our major city's always returning to Birmingham when I got homesick for familiar places and faces. Since I settled down to married life I have never given a thought to moving anywhere else.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

brumdave

« Reply #296 on: August 22, 2016, 10:57:27 PM »
hi dave its not a case of being miserable in my case its a case of getting away from the rat race and living in the part of the country that I love  I'm about 40 minuets by train from brum center and wife and I go in to brum  a lot of folk go to the sea side to live  not me  it seems to me that's  what a lot of brum folk do it helps to make room for other folk to take your place

now if you went to a town called Weston super mare that's about 90 miles south of brum you will find 1000s of folk who have hit 65 sold up and moved  to Weston in fact a lot of folk call it brum by the sea  for some its fulfilling a dream  I have friends who live there and would not move back to brum

Hi Roy, yes I understand, I guess where I lived at West Heath that it was on the outskirts of Birmingham, my Mum was born in Stirchley and lived in Bournville and Cotteridge, my Dad was born at Bethnal Green London, I well remember Weston as we used to visit quite often, I remember it used to be called Weston Super Mud, I guess I was lucky as we spent many holidays on the South Coast, Somerset and Wales, I can understand why people would want to live in rural areas of England, I think its memories of the day outs to the Cotswolds, Malvern Elan Valley and holidays at Lyme Regis, Beer, Brighton, Skegness and Blackpool plus many others that make me wonder why my Father ever wanted to leave England.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy