Author Topic: Born or brought up in Birmingham. Would you?  (Read 114475 times)

Pete Fisher

Re: Born or brought up in Birmingham. Would you?
« Reply #319 on: September 02, 2016, 05:14:03 PM »
Hi, I'm new here and wondered if anyone recognises any of this lot! Grew up in 8 Mount terrace just off Greenway st between1950-57. Went to Tilton rd school, meant walking up the terrace to Cattell rd, crossing over the road, down Tilton rd, cross over again Garrison lane to the school. Mom took me a couple of times till I got used to it, then off on my own after that...how times change!
Used to play on bomb site at the end of Mount terrace and Greenway st. Played football n marlies in the road. Saturday used to look after push bikes in our garden while mainly blokes went to watch the Blues
Wonder if anyone remembers????

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #320 on: September 02, 2016, 05:59:11 PM »
hi pet welcome to the forum I'm sure you will find like minded  members on this forum so make your self at home and enjoy  roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Pete Fisher

« Reply #321 on: September 02, 2016, 09:04:53 PM »
Hi Roy, thanks for swift reply! Just wondering if folk exchanged memories n stuff from way back. I have loads them and names as well.  Left Brum in 1975 and only been back a few times, must admit I don't miss it but I definely miss those people that I once knew.
Regards Pete.

TPT.50

« Reply #322 on: September 03, 2016, 06:17:37 AM »
Welcome Pete, you will find plenty of friends with history to share on this wonderful forum,   enjoy yourself,  Regards,      Tony.

Pete Fisher

« Reply #323 on: September 03, 2016, 09:44:30 AM »
Thanks Tony, looking forward to share stuff with folks
Best wishes Pete

Terry B

« Reply #324 on: September 06, 2016, 03:58:30 PM »
Born in Brum and lived there for over 25 years, living mostly in Moseley/Hall Green. Moved north to Lancashire with my job nearly 40 years ago and don't regret it. I miss our friends and relatives in Brum but little else. The suburbs have changed and not always for the better. Sparkhill, Moseley, Kings Heath etc don't look good now and I'll not be returning.

If I won the lottery (!!!) I'd move to Bournemouth into an apartment on East Cliff overlooking the sea. My grandparents moved there in 1940 and bought a four bedroomed house for £500! We spent most of our summer holidays down there, going down on Royal Blue Coaches from Digbeth Coach Station. No motorway in those days, it took all day to get there. 

planetmalc

« Reply #325 on: September 06, 2016, 04:09:05 PM »

If I won the lottery (!!!) I'd move to Bournemouth into an apartment on East Cliff overlooking the sea.............We spent most of our summer holidays down there, going down on Royal Blue Coaches from Digbeth Coach Station. No motorway in those days, it took all day to get there.

Same here, though Boscombe might tempt me with its good shopping centre.       Remember well the all-day 1940s-50s Midland Red and Royal Blue coach journeys to Bournemouth, and the welcome pit-stops at Banbury, Oxford, Newbury and Winchester. O0
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Terry B

« Reply #326 on: September 06, 2016, 05:02:42 PM »
Don't recall Midland Red ever going to Bournemouth. I remember those stops though. Sometimes we'd have to change at Cheltenham and catch a Black and White Coach.

The Coach station at Bournemouth was quite something as the approach was down a slope which took it underneath the local bus garage. The coach station, next to the lower gardens, burnt down many years ago. They send coaches now to the Interchange, next to the Rail Station. Quite a soul less place.

Boscombe's shopping centre is OK but I prefer Poole these days.

planetmalc

« Reply #327 on: September 10, 2016, 06:18:28 PM »
Don't recall Midland Red ever going to Bournemouth. I remember those stops though. Sometimes we'd have to change at Cheltenham and catch a Black and White Coach.

The Coach station at Bournemouth was quite something as the approach was down a slope which took it underneath the local bus garage. The coach station, next to the lower gardens, burnt down many years ago. They send coaches now to the Interchange, next to the Rail Station. Quite a soul less place.

Boscombe's shopping centre is OK but I prefer Poole these days.

I got the impression that the Royal Blue coaches shared duties with Midland Red, so you'd book on Midland Red end up on one or t'other.

That underground bus station must have been a real health hazard with all those diesel fumes. :(       The 'local' buses in the ground-level bus station would have been the green Hants & Dorset buses, with the occasional Wilts & Dorset interloper.
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Terry B

« Reply #328 on: September 22, 2016, 12:50:11 PM »
Planetmalc, I've been thinking about Midland Red/Royal Blue and the Bournemouth run and simply can't recall MR ever going to Bournemouth - certainly not in the days of the underground coach station which eventually caught fire.

You're right about the health hazard down in the depths of the coach station although we didn't realise the problem in those days (40's/50's). You're correct about the buses on the upper level being mainly Hants and Dorset as I don't think Bournemouth Transport used it - their buses and trolleybuses were parked up on the Triangle, Westover Road and Avenue Road. We'd catch the trolleybus to my grandparents in Winton. Bournemouth were unusual in having vehicles with two doors and staircases - get on at the back and off at the front!

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #329 on: September 22, 2016, 02:04:25 PM »
  Bournemouth on fire
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy