Author Topic: Born or brought up in Birmingham. Would you?  (Read 114472 times)

colin walker

Re: Born or brought up in Birmingham. Would you?
« Reply #330 on: October 05, 2016, 11:20:10 AM »
Born in irving street moved to corner tilton road and catell road then to dolman street. loved Birmingham then and still love it now . I live in Essex now and 1 in 5 people down here are brummies who visit brum regularly . it has changed . But its were I was born and if my cockney wife would move away from here I would be back tomorrow. my family still live around brum.
Colin Walker

Pete Fisher

« Reply #331 on: October 05, 2016, 03:29:22 PM »
Hi Colin, what time scale were you in Brum?  I was there at Tilton rd school 1950-5. then moved to Yardley 11 plus And on to Bordesley Green Tech till 1963. I live in Cornwall now but don't think I would like to go back, there is a housing estate where I used to live....Mount terrace opp Blues main gate!
Cheers Pete. :)

colin walker

« Reply #332 on: October 05, 2016, 05:01:06 PM »
Hi Pete lived there from 1960 to 1965 then we moved to nechells . My elder brother was at Tilton road around your time though his name was Brian walker. When you lived in mount terrace did you know the natress family. They also moved to yardley / lea hall.

Pete Fisher

« Reply #333 on: October 05, 2016, 06:06:55 PM »
Hi can't say the name rings any bells but other Mount terrace folks were....the Painter family, had several bros n sisters Carol and Graham. ...Johnny Steadman in next terrace to ours,...Gilly Mac....Graham Cogshill orrible kid!...others I need to think about, my don't you enjoy growing up !!

colin walker

« Reply #334 on: October 05, 2016, 06:43:04 PM »
It is great to grow up but I do miss living in those streets of Birmingham. They called them dumps but from what I remember I never ever felt unsafe in Tilton road , Irving street or dolman road. But then we moved to Whittington oval and then you had to watch your back in the early 1970s.

Pete Fisher

« Reply #335 on: October 06, 2016, 04:17:00 PM »
Hi Colin,     Just wondered if you remember Mr Searles barber shop on the other side of Cattell rd almost opposite Tilton rd? I used to have to sit on a plank of wood on the arms of his chair so he could reach me! Also a flower shop called Boffeys which was next to a motor shop which sold bits for motor bikes on the other side of the road from St Andrews football gate. Used to play on a bomb site behind the row of houses just down from the Blues ground..had to sneak in between houses to get there......and so much more!
Pete.

JudithM

« Reply #336 on: October 07, 2016, 01:52:08 PM »
Apparently, Birmingham is now the top destination for those moving away from London.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-37385265
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

planetmalc

« Reply #337 on: October 08, 2016, 04:24:28 PM »
When you lived in mount terrace did you know the natress family. They also moved to yardley / lea hall.

I vaguely knew a Todd Natrass (born around the mid-to-late fories) who came from that area   -   is this the same family?
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

planetmalc

« Reply #338 on: October 08, 2016, 04:27:58 PM »
Hi can't say the name rings any bells but other Mount terrace folks were....the Painter family, had several bros n sisters Carol and Graham.

Was Joey Painter from that family (born in the mid-forties)?
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Pete Fisher

« Reply #339 on: October 10, 2016, 08:14:29 PM »
Hi, can't say I remember that person..sorry.

Kellie1987

« Reply #340 on: October 11, 2016, 11:00:38 PM »
So I was born in Birmingham in the 70s, raised in South Yardley on Graham Rd... Went to Redhill Rd school & Washwood Heath. We left Birmingham in 1987 to live in the US,  haven't been back to England at all & the Birmingham I only know as a kid, the one from the 70s & 80s is the only one I want to keep in my memory. It truly breaks my heart when I hear how awful of a place it is now ... 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy