Author Topic: Born or brought up in Birmingham. Would you?  (Read 114467 times)

Spud

Re: Born or brought up in Birmingham. Would you?
« Reply #341 on: October 12, 2016, 11:27:03 AM »

So I was born in Birmingham in the 70s, raised in South Yardley on Graham Rd... Went to Redhill Rd school & Washwood Heath. We left Birmingham in 1987 to live in the US,  haven't been back to England at all & the Birmingham I only know as a kid, the one from the 70s & 80s is the only one I want to keep in my memory. It truly breaks my heart when I hear how awful of a place it is now ...

Kellie
Don't believe everything you hear on TV or read in the newspapers or even on our Forum
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

gnc

« Reply #342 on: November 05, 2016, 06:37:53 PM »
born in bracebridge st aston 1952, moved to erdington around 1963. then moved to sutton coldfield for a few years then to anglesey for 13 years now been in lincolnshire for around 15 years.  would i move back,  no,    cant stand the traffic.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #343 on: November 05, 2016, 06:41:09 PM »
gnc

If I lived in Lincolnshire and got stuck behind those tractors everyday I'd end up packing up driving.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

gnc

« Reply #344 on: November 05, 2016, 06:51:43 PM »
not only tractors,  a line of 8 forklifts this morning. at least they are moving.

Somerville

« Reply #345 on: November 05, 2016, 08:19:06 PM »
Hi All,
      I was born and brought up in Small Heath. I loved it but probably because I did not know anywhere better. A message from Hitler, which came with a bang, caused us to move to South Yardley. I still loved Brum and all my friends and relatives were here. Then married and we considered a move to Australia. I now regret our decision to stay as all our 4 children grew up in Birmingham. They are now all married and live in different parts of the country and are happy away from Birmingham.

Now the final blow has come and we have moved into a care home in Wolverhampton. I would dearly love to return to Birmingham  for the end but that is most unlikely. Despite what the politicians and the PC Brigade tell us Birmingham has deteriorated since the war. I despair to think what the future is likely to bring but at least my wife and I will be out of it as will our children, grandchildren and great grandchildren.

townie

« Reply #346 on: November 06, 2016, 08:40:01 PM »

Kellie
Don't believe everything you hear on TV or read in the newspapers or even on our Forum

Kellie If I was you I would believe what hear on TV or read in the newspapers or even on our Forum, because most of it is true. Just go through this thread and see how many members would move back to Brum. Believe me its not many.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

planetmalc

« Reply #347 on: November 10, 2016, 05:13:55 PM »

I was born and brought up in Small Heath........A message from Hitler, which came with a bang, caused us to move to South Yardley.

Did you live in Somerville Road?     I went to Somerville Road School (1948-54) and lived just around the corner in Muntz Street.
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

bazablue

« Reply #348 on: November 09, 2017, 08:09:35 AM »

And what a massive factory it was Roy, I remember trains leaving the factory loaded with Austins and Nash Metropolitan cars for export, sad the British motor industry closed down, I remember my Mum used to work at the Aero during WW2 which was close to Cofton Park, she used to help making planes for the RAF. we lived in a nissen hut at an ex Army camp in Groveley Lane until we got a council house, I remember we used to play in a bomb crater that was in a nearby field, we also used to walk across the fields to Upper Bittell Reservoir, I also remember balling my eyes out because me Mum left me at my first day at Cofton Primary School.
....used to play on that camp,it was for prisoners of war,mainly italian

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #349 on: November 09, 2017, 11:13:36 PM »
Born in Vauxhall moved to Kitts Green got married moved to Lichfield moved back to Streetly,got fed up with the troubleinB,ham City Centre ,since 84 moved to Kent had a very happy life
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #350 on: November 10, 2017, 10:36:57 AM »
Edmund

I have to ask how living in Streetly  trouble in Birmingham City Centre would affect you? Also for all those people who moved away from Birmingham, how many had underlying reasons for moving. Were those reasons down to business, family, cheaper housing, or how many were moved to places like Telford and similar because they were moved there by the council?

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

RoyMcC

« Reply #351 on: November 10, 2017, 10:44:59 AM »
To be fair Phil, those of us that lived in the suburbs needed to spend a good deal of time in, or travelling through, the city centre. That said, I don't recall there being particular 'trouble' in the city centre in my days (60s/70s) (the pub bombings apart). Sure it used to get a bit lively at night but that is town and city life for you.

I certainly didn't move away because of any dislike of Brum, but for career progression.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy