Author Topic: Born or brought up in Birmingham. Would you?  (Read 114459 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Born or brought up in Birmingham. Would you?
« Reply #352 on: November 10, 2017, 10:56:13 AM »
Roy

I live in Solihull, and whilst I admit whilst still working due to work I was always in and out of the City Centre, but since retiring neatly 15 years ago I have never been into the Bull Ring I have skirted round the edges of town and once walked up New Street and along Colmore Row the reason being I have no reason to go into the centre of Birmingham when I can get everything I need local. Anyway I stopped believing that the City Centre was the beginning and end of Birmingham in my early 20's. There is lot more to Birmingham than a couple of square moles at the centre of it.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #353 on: November 10, 2017, 10:59:04 AM »

hi phil
              I moved out of brum to get out of the rat race  you get to a time in your life when you just can not be bothered with the with kids playing in the street or in your garden and music that you do not understand that sounds like some one is degutting a cat   and car doors being slammed and shouting in the street at all hours of the night  so the answer was move and if you going to move find the place that  its not going to happen but that does not mean that I dislike brum far from it I'm just a grumpy old so and so  who does not like  fast living  and noise
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

RoyMcC

« Reply #354 on: November 10, 2017, 11:09:49 AM »
I must have missed the square moles  :)  The Birmingham 'burbs (inc Solihull & Sheldon) were pretty bland - they still are really. Much more life in the inner city (though not to everyone's liking I know). But I love in particular the older parts of the city, the post-industrial areas of (for example) Digbeth, the under-appreciated canal network, the remaining Victorian architecture around Colmore Row and into the Jewellry Quarter, the corner pubs that still remain. I'm settled elsewhere but Brum has so many positives if you allow them to outweigh the negatives.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #355 on: November 10, 2017, 01:02:04 PM »
RoyMcC

I agree with what you say about the architecture in the City Centre, but there are just as many (perhaps more) interesting notable places and buildings scattered around the suburbs, Yardley old village, Blakesley Hall, Northfield village, Bournville Village, Kings Norton Village, just to name a few and I really could go on all day.

Sadly Birmingham City Council has little to do with this fact, as they openly have admitted  progress is more important than the past. Which as a rule I would agree, but when I see some of the wonderful buildings in Birmingham that have had to go in the name of progress I have to wonder if that is always true, especially when I see some of the buildings that replace them.

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

GardenGerald

« Reply #356 on: November 10, 2017, 01:20:53 PM »
Hello Phil
I fully agree, hidden away are some great buildings, its finding them that is the problem.
Like you Phil I would be looking at the suburbs.
Gerald.

townie

« Reply #357 on: November 10, 2017, 07:15:13 PM »
Gerald was you a teachers pet by any chance? If I want to go to the toilet in lesson and hold up my hand will you please bring Andrex
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

countrylad

« Reply #358 on: November 10, 2017, 11:36:13 PM »
Brought up in Brum, Brum is not a bad city however it changed. Most of my time in Brum I lived in either inter war council houses or new council developments on the outskirts of the city; kings Norton, Chelmsley wood. Although I liked going into town, I always preferred rural areas. I went to a lot of schools in ten years and hated it. Probably about seven schools.  Most kids go though school together. Infants, juniors, seniors. I was dropped in at any stage along the way. Never part of the clique (I think that's how you spell (clique). The choice was to be picked on or fight and survive. I did survive, I now have so much empathy for those that are walked upon. And no bonding with anyone.  So decided to live my life alone, but with only close friends. What a wonderful life too. I was eight when one morning I woke up and could hear the cuckoo for the first time. At eight years of age I decided to leave Brum. Not because Brum was not what I wanted. Brum just could not give me what I needed. At 25 years of age. Left Brum. But ya know, I am a member of the Birmingham Forum. So what does that tell ya? That's just rhetorical, so no answers please.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #359 on: November 11, 2017, 07:46:15 AM »
well its true what they say     you can take the kid out of brum but you can not take brum out of the kid

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #360 on: November 11, 2017, 08:42:11 AM »

hi countrylad
                          there are some folk in this world who can not bond with any one not even with a wife or husband  or girl friend girls dump them soon after meeting them when they find out what they are like they become desperate to make friends so much so they become over the top and in there eyes its always some one else fault   never them and they are never wrong and they get a chip on there shoulder had big has there head some turn to drugs some turn to drink and some turn to the streets and live life on the edge
we are all different we all live the life that we can and we do the best we can with what we have

my self from when I first went to school I had to fight my way I would stand up for my self and took what come my way and give it back the best I could  it was called the school of hard knocks but it set me on a course  mom and me moved around  different schools for a time  I just got on with it when I went that is  and in the end I come out ok  so I'm told  I ask no one for any thing what I have not got I go with out

so to you countrylad you have done ok you have made your life and you live it to how you made it  O0

Spud

« Reply #361 on: November 11, 2017, 11:31:36 AM »
Perhaps I am an old stick the mud never really thought of moving far from Brum been in this house over 40 years now. Before moving here did think of moving to the outskirts of Shirley even picked out a house but it meant my Girls changing schools so that put the mockers on that meaning that we had to find a place within the catchment area of the Old Moseley Grammar School had to stretch the catchment area a little but The Headmaster at Moseley agreed to keep my two under his wing. Good luck to anyone who wants to move away from Brum the only thing I will say to those who so decide please don't slag the old girl off no she ain't perfect by any stretch of the imagination and yes there are some pretty awful places with a Birmingham Post Code but I will always call it Home.
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #362 on: November 11, 2017, 12:18:41 PM »
Spud

Your opinion on Birmingham more or less echoes my own, the difference being I have lived in other towns & cities in the UK and although never more than six months,  except Dundee as a child. In my estimation none of them matched up to Birmingham and I always came back here, for no other reason than this is the place I wanted to be.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy