Author Topic: Born or brought up in Birmingham. Would you?  (Read 114463 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: Born or brought up in Birmingham. Would you?
« Reply #418 on: March 15, 2019, 09:18:09 AM »

roy
           yes I do im happy to go in to brum four or five times a month  some times I get the train from kiddy to Snowhill or moor street its only about 40 minuits trip and would you believe its cheaper than going by car to the centre when you take in the cost of getting there and parking time spent driving I can just sit back have a read or just look out of the window now roy on the first of next month I could move back in to brum if I wished  top end of kings heath im lucky I have that choice  but no im happy hear

yes I do love brum its got all that you need and some nice places to go  I love to have a wonder round kings heath and I love going to ladypool road or sparkhill  and bartering with some of the traders for the things I need to replace its good fun

but because I will not go in to brum late at night it does not mean I hate it brums always been good to me roy 
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

baz

« Reply #419 on: March 15, 2019, 09:59:38 AM »

Highters Road.
[/quote

I lived in Sladepool Farm Rd., a bit out of your area. I did go to Highters Heath school though.
I knew a bloke in the army from Highters Rd, Dave Long, ring any bells ?

Des Gardner

« Reply #420 on: March 15, 2019, 10:11:25 AM »
 Baz

No I don't know Dave long..........(had he been there Long) :)

mike mancott

« Reply #421 on: June 24, 2019, 09:02:14 PM »
I was born in Birmingham 34 near to the Fox and Goose, Dawsons Corner, number 10 tram terminus, Metro Cammell sports ground. Went to Stechford Road School, in world war 2 time. lots of memories of that time. On marrying in 1960 went to live in Sutton Coldfield, first house £2375 (yes!). Have lived in Wiltshire, Devon, Gloucestershire and Somerset. Love Brummies, their well-developed sense of humour, kindliness. Have been back to Brum several times, but wouldn`t move back there, or to any city for that matter.
You can`t beat living in the clean air of the countryside.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #422 on: June 24, 2019, 11:30:34 PM »
Mike,you must have had a good job.I earned £12 a week and couldn't get a mortgage for a house on Hundred Acres in1963.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

mike mancott

« Reply #423 on: June 25, 2019, 06:59:06 AM »
I earned £10 per week, but my wife and I were lucky in that an aunt of hers left her money which topped the little we had saved for a deposit. We also had a good solicitor with "connections".

Spud

« Reply #424 on: June 25, 2019, 03:35:55 PM »
Nice to hear from some who has moved away from Brum but has joined our Forum and not taken the opportunity to slag the old place off Good on you  Mike Mancott.
I remember the first house we bought. We had been married  a couple of years so this would be around 1963  our eldest daughter had just been born. It was a two bed Terrace in Tyseley . The Cost £1485. I was earning around £12 per week our only income. The Estate Agent gave us two single beds Pots Pan and some Kitchen units. I remember the first week we were in there we had just £12 to our name. But the place was ours. I knocked seven bells out that place new doors windows removed a couple of fireplaces. Her indoors looked after our  finances she had tins for everything Mortgage Rates Gas Electricity. But we could shut out doors in the safe knowledge we could just afford to live without going into debt.
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

astoness

« Reply #425 on: June 25, 2019, 05:50:29 PM »
what a lovely post spud...obviously written with fondness and affection...well done.. O0

lyn

frederick

« Reply #426 on: June 25, 2019, 05:52:01 PM »
A thing that used to happen back then, when people moved out they took the carpets and bulbs with them. My first house when I got married 1968 cost £4,100 it was a new three bed with a garage in Sheldon.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #427 on: June 25, 2019, 06:41:49 PM »
In 1966 we moved from our top floor flat in Edgbaston to a 3 bed semi  in Lichfield for £2,250,with a £25 deposit
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

townie

« Reply #428 on: June 25, 2019, 07:34:00 PM »
I have noticed that the last few posters apart from 1 who actually hasn't commented don't live in Brum and only visit on the odd occasion. I am in Brum nearly every week and let me tell you, you haven't a clue what Birmingham is like now. I suppose its like most big Cities lots of the suburbs are full of drugs, and to be honest that is the reason for most of the knife crime. The council can spend as much as they like, the police can triple their force but I'm afraid its to late. :(
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy