Author Topic: Born or brought up in Birmingham. Would you?  (Read 114473 times)

Edmund Fifield

Re: Born or brought up in Birmingham. Would you?
« Reply #440 on: December 09, 2019, 04:33:30 PM »
Spent the first 9 year of childhood at my Grans at 38 Goodrick St just of Saltley Rd.Went to Bloomsbury St school 45-49 infants
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

bruminbriz

« Reply #441 on: December 24, 2019, 09:30:35 AM »
I was born about ten minutes walk from the old Austin Motor Works at Longbridge my family moved to Australia in 1957, I was 14 years old when we left I have never been back, all in my family became naturalized Australians but not me, the way I see things you can take the boy out of Brum but you cant take Brum out of the boy, if I was in a better financial state I would gladly return to Brum and get my body buried in the same dirt I grew up in.

Dave

frederick

« Reply #442 on: December 24, 2019, 11:30:26 AM »
Brum,
From what I have heard you would find  Brum a totally different place now to what you left. You would probably get back on the next plane to Australia.      :(
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #443 on: December 24, 2019, 01:06:03 PM »
Brum,
From what I have heard you would find  Brum a totally different place now to what you left. You would probably get back on the next plane to Australia.      :(

Yes,bruminbriz,

Birmingham has changed a lot, about as much as any other major city in the world.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Spud

« Reply #444 on: December 24, 2019, 04:35:25 PM »
Brum
 Don't be put off by some Posters they have their opinion about Brum even If they live a hundred miles away. I'm born bred a Brummie Bombed out during the war still live in the old place and  still follow the Blues like my Dad and his Dad. Yep it's changed as Phil says most big cities have. It cannot be too Bad we had 5 million visitors to the City Centre in the run up to Christmas
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

bruminbriz

« Reply #445 on: December 24, 2019, 07:15:09 PM »
Like every other city in the world Brum has changed but after watching dozens of Youtube videos about Brum it still looks pretty good to me, in particular several vides taken with a drone that does tours around Turves Green, Nothfield, Longbridge and West Heath, to me it looks much the same as it used to with streets full of council houses but the main difference being no more Austin/Rover works, what a shame they dont build cars there anymore, I can remember train loads of Nash Metropolitan cars leaving the factory for export to America, I have said for years my body is here in Oz but my heart is still back home in England.

Dave

Scipio

« Reply #446 on: December 24, 2019, 07:38:12 PM »
Like every other city in the world Brum has changed but after watching dozens of Youtube videos about Brum it still looks pretty good to me, in particular several vides taken with a drone that does tours around Turves Green, Nothfield, Longbridge and West Heath, to me it looks much the same as it used to with streets full of council houses but the main difference being no more Austin/Rover works, what a shame they dont build cars there anymore, I can remember train loads of Nash Metropolitan cars leaving the factory for export to America, I have said for years my body is here in Oz but my heart is still back home in England.

Dave

Brum, I was born and bred in Brum loved it , I moved in 2017 40mins up the road . I still reflect when in a quiet moment about my youth growing up in Springfield St off Monument Rd , then moving to William St off Broad St . After that it was Brindley Drive behind the Hall of Memory then marriage and out to Aston . Moving from there to Winson Green , to Aston again , then Great Barr . Then we moved to where we are now, I still look on Birmingham with great affection . I can well understand your sentiments about Brum .
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Philippa

« Reply #447 on: January 14, 2020, 10:08:16 AM »
I was born in Moseley and lived in Greenoak Crescent  Stirchley until at 21 I married and moved away, I have never stopped loving Brum and go back there whenever possible, At present I live in Somerset, I attended Selly Park secondary modern school, I left in 1956, Was wondering if anyone reading this attended the same all girls senior school? my name then was Phyl Reddell, sister Bette and Sandra too,please let me know.

mike mancott

« Reply #448 on: January 14, 2020, 10:19:23 AM »

Brum, I was born and bred in Brum loved it , I moved in 2017 40mins up the road . I still reflect when in a quiet moment about my youth growing up in Springfield St off Monument Rd , then moving to William St off Broad St . After that it was Brindley Drive behind the Hall of Memory then marriage and out to Aston . Moving from there to Winson Green , to Aston again , then Great Barr . Then we moved to where we are now, I still look on Birmingham with great affection . I can well understand your sentiments about Brum .

Brum is a great city. It has much important history which shaped the nation, and the world.
The Brummie humour, misunderstood by many, is dry, subtle, and very warm and funny.
You can take a Brummie out of Brum, but you can`t take Brum out of a Brummie.

My opinion - many will agree - some may differ. 

Ray

« Reply #449 on: February 12, 2020, 07:21:36 PM »
I lived in Barr St., Hockley. I went to Summer Lane Sec Mod from 1955 to 1959. Incredably, we were taught English and, Mrs Parker, the music teacher, gave us elocution lessons. Nobody could afford a school uniform. The police patrolled in pairs. I left school with a "school certificate" and went to work next door at Newey Brother
Ray

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #450 on: February 12, 2020, 08:05:21 PM »
Ray,still got my old leaving certificate from 1954.autographed byall the teachers.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy