Author Topic: Born or brought up in Birmingham. Would you?  (Read 114488 times)

astoness

Re: Born or brought up in Birmingham. Would you?
« Reply #462 on: May 20, 2020, 01:39:07 PM »
Our family lived in New John Street West. Hockley/Newtown. Mom and dad owned a cafe shop there ... We attended Farm Street School at the time... (Which is now Sadly gone).

Then Farm Street School closed down due to demolition, we moved to 16 Soho Road next to Polish wedding hall and The Frank Lay family next door. We attended newly built Welford Road School on Welford Road.
[size=78%]
[/size]
Both ours and Frank lays houses, and the Polish Wedding Hall was used to extend [size=78%]what is now part of the beautiful Sikh Temple On Soho Road.[/size]

So we moved from Soho Road to Thorn hill Rd and continued to attend Welford Road school before I attended Grove Lane School.

Now I reside in Leicester been here 13 years.

hello sha snap...i also attended farm st school from about 1959 to 1964..i lived in villa street..ive got lots of old photos of new john st west villa st..farm st and farm st school...looking at them brings back very happy memories for me

all the best

lyn

GardenGerald

« Reply #463 on: May 21, 2020, 05:18:58 PM »
Hello Lyn
How many time did you feel the gentle stroke of the cane.
In the approved school system boys would get 12 strokes on the hand or backside. Girls could
only receive 12 strokes on the hand.
Gerald.

jazzyvee

« Reply #464 on: February 11, 2021, 01:05:37 AM »
Hello All,
             I was born at Marston Green Hospital 1960, adopted and brought up in Stechford. I went to Stechford Primary after a short period at Hudson House Private School in Frederick Road, if anyone can remember it. I then went to Hodge Hill Comp. I lived in Bordesley Green East from 1985 until '91 and moved out to North Warwickshire where I still live. We moved out for the sake of our three boys who we wanted educated in a Christian environment. I have a brother and sister still in East B'ham so occasionally pop over. Would I move back? Not in a million years and the three boys have done well for themselves.
I remember that Hudson House School really well as I grew really close to it and friends of mine lived next door and across the road from the school. We sometimes used tobe allowed to play football in the playground in the summer holidays. I remember when it closed a TV crew came to do some filming at the school and asking people who lived there about how they felt about the school closing.

Occasionally, out of curiousity I have looked on-line for some history of that school but never found any information about it on-line.

mike mancott

« Reply #465 on: February 11, 2021, 10:03:14 AM »
Hi, and welcome, Jazzyvee.
I remember as a child that I new about the existence of Hudson House. Whether I knew someone who went there, I can`t remember.
If you Google  Hudson House Educational Trust Ltd - 528957  you should find a government document detailing its Incorporation, but not much else.
best wishes, stay safe
mike

tca

« Reply #466 on: February 14, 2021, 10:40:45 AM »
Born in loveday st, off Steelhouse lane, lived in Gem Street that ran between Aston St and Coleshill st (Fire Station to Gaiety cinema) but went to school in Oxford, bought first house in oxford age 19, then moved to Melbourne Australia, work life took me to KL, Singapore, Bangkok and Hong Kong, Still have two cousins in Castle brom, 1 in Erdington, 1 in Shirley, love coming back, but feel the new Uni has deleted my memories of the Aston area. If I had to return to the UK I would most likely go for Shirley area. But unlikely as I like wearing shorts 9 months of the year.

frederick

« Reply #467 on: February 14, 2021, 11:42:54 AM »
I have money sent to my bank account every month from Singapore.    O0    You have been about a bit a friend of mine lives in Australia he as been back to the UK a few times but will not return to  Brum made his life in Australia.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Scipio

« Reply #468 on: February 14, 2021, 07:39:58 PM »
Born in loveday st, off Steelhouse lane, lived in Gem Street that ran between Aston St and Coleshill st (Fire Station to Gaiety cinema) but went to school in Oxford, bought first house in oxford age 19, then moved to Melbourne Australia, work life took me to KL, Singapore, Bangkok and Hong Kong, Still have two cousins in Castle brom, 1 in Erdington, 1 in Shirley, love coming back, but feel the new Uni has deleted my memories of the Aston area. If I had to return to the UK I would most likely go for Shirley area. But unlikely as I like wearing shorts 9 months of the year.

tca , Feel free we have nutters running around in shorts 12 months of the year , rain, sleet, or snow .
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Scipio

« Reply #469 on: February 14, 2021, 07:42:25 PM »
I have money sent to my bank account every month from Singapore.    O0    You have been about a bit a friend of mine lives in Australia he as been back to the UK a few times but will not return to  Brum made his life in Australia.

Frederick I hope HMRC are not looking in  >
Mark Twain

frederick

« Reply #470 on: February 15, 2021, 02:09:37 PM »
Scipio,
All in order.      :'(

Scipio

« Reply #471 on: February 15, 2021, 07:08:11 PM »
Scipio,
All in order.      :'(

Good for you Frederick  O0
Mark Twain

frederick

« Reply #472 on: February 16, 2021, 10:16:39 AM »
Worth looking into Longs and Shorts.    O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy