Author Topic: Born or brought up in Birmingham. Would you?  (Read 114514 times)

Hi De Hi

Re: Born or brought up in Birmingham. Would you?
« Reply #484 on: April 11, 2021, 05:33:20 PM »
I know the area quite well, spent time in Shirley visiting Aunts and Uncles, one in Longmoor Rd, and the other in Chamberlin Crescent. My Aunt now lives in Sheltered Accommodation, near Shirley Station.

I spent a lot of my youth in Shirley, Monkspath, and Hockley Heath in the 70’s. I was back there about 18 months ago, the place had changed so much, particularly from where I knew Archers Garage out past the M42.

Is the Cinema still standing in Shirley? What about Shirley Temple Chinese?

Gwladmab

Shirley Odeon closed many years ago (even before I moved there. They built a safeway there which then became a Morrisons. That closed 2 years back and is now due for demolition to build more sheltered housing.  Shirley temple also closed a couple of years back and became an Italian.

keithrocket

« Reply #485 on: May 08, 2021, 05:29:29 PM »
Born in Hull moved to Birmingham aged 3 in 1954 lived on Jakeman Rd and Willows Rd we still live in Birmingham. Had a fantastic childhood and big up the city wherever we are.

netty

« Reply #486 on: May 08, 2021, 05:49:42 PM »
Hi keith, ive had a relationship with Hull for over 50 years, I've seen many ups and downs. In recent years its gone from strength to strength. Just like Birmingham its citizens are fiercely proud of their city.
What part of Hull were you born.

keithrocket

« Reply #487 on: May 08, 2021, 06:18:35 PM »
I was born in Lister St off the Hessle Rd? We are talking 1951

Bayleigh

« Reply #488 on: May 09, 2021, 10:17:30 PM »
I was born in Lea Village. My dad had a cafe there called Eddie’s Cafe. I went to shirestone primary school and byng kendrick girls grammar, would I come back to Birmingham? 🤔 I’m only an hour away from the sea where I live now, 15 minutes when I visit my mum, so no, but as I get older the brummie accent is definitely getting more attractive!

Gwladmab

« Reply #489 on: May 10, 2021, 07:16:58 AM »
Hello Bayleigh, welcome to the forum. I knew your dad, I was a 15 year old apprentice at Cooks Lane Garage in 1971. We would call into Eddies most dinner times, Mr Lee, the owner of Cooks Lane Garage, had an account at the cafe.

I seem to recall we used a dining room upstairs. If the garage was busy one of the lads would come to the cafe to fetch sandwiches. Always good food.

What I remember of your dad was that he was in his 50’s? at that time. Then again I could be miles off. When you are 15 anyone over the age of 25 looks ancient. He wore a Trilby and a suit. Did your dad have a large Ford car at the time, the Zodiac Executive?

I lived on  Chelmsley Wood from about 1968 - 1976. Went to Alderlea Boys School.

I now live in Mid Wales. Enjoy the occasional trip back to Brum.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #490 on: May 10, 2021, 10:03:10 AM »
Bayliegh. I lived in Cole Hall Lane went to LEA VILLAGE SCHOOL. Called in the cafe many times . This was up till 1958. But had the Cycling bug then.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy