Author Topic: percy shurmers band  (Read 1463 times)

loopyloulou

percy shurmers band
« on: November 06, 2015, 09:31:00 PM »
Hey there just wondering if anyone knew my grandad he marched in Percy shurmers marching band as a young boy his name was William smith alot of his sisters did too but I'm not sure of their names , he married my gran Beatrice when he was older ,

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: percy shurmers band
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 11:49:20 PM »
Hi Loopyloulou

A lot of us kids marched along with Percy back then whenever he was electioneering I think Percy must have been the only MP who ran his campaign like an American. Was you granddad one of the kids that followed the lorry with Percy on the back or was he actually a member of the St Martins & Deritend Marching Band? If so perhaps you can pick him out here.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Spud

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 11:29:14 AM »
What smashing Pictures Phil. Could they have been taken on the steps of the old Alhambra Cinema ?
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

planetmalc

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 03:03:26 PM »
What smashing Pictures Phil. Could they have been taken on the steps of the old Alhambra Cinema ?

Without a doubt!

http://www.cinematreasures.org/theaters/1237/photos/30666

There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 03:11:10 PM »
Spud

Confirming what PM said, yes it's the frontage of the Alhambra on Moseley Rd, perhaps they used to practice there as it still would have had an orchestra pit at that time I suppose.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

loopyloulou

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 01:40:44 PM »
GD photos thank you  :) I showed them to my grandad he was in the st martins band !

pat11

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 02:28:16 PM »
I lived in Deritend and us children used to sing a song of which I can remember the tune to this day but not the words apart from the first few which were Vote, vote, vote for Percy Shurmer.........   I wonder if anyone can remember all the words.
Kindness is the best feature

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy