Author Topic: bingley hall  (Read 26535 times)

johnbird

Re: bingley hall
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 04:12:22 PM »
I used to love the Hall, the memories came flooding back!!
Growing old is compulsory, Growing up is not!

maypolemadman

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 09:15:28 PM »
Hi all  I got a message on my computer to say I had got a reply to a post I was following re Bingley Hall and if I did not open it I would not get any more replies.
 Well I opened it and lo and behold there was nothing up to date at all. 
The last message I see there was from myself on August the 1st .
Well  I go around a lot muttering to myself these days and it seem like I am talking to myself on the net as qwll.
 By the way...... Iwas around 6 yrs old when I went to the Circus at BH and that would have been 1932  ,No wonder I am talking to myself   LOL  Cheers all  Old Browny

JudithM

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2016, 01:28:47 PM »
I've just found this thread.  I remember going to the Bingley Hall when I was little, to a religious convention I went to with my mother.  I can't remember much about the actual event other than being sent down to the stage to buy some pots of marigolds that they were selling off from the stage display after it had finished, but I do remember that there was a viewing window where you could look over and see the Rep being built so it must have been prior to it opening in 1971.

I can remember it still standing, but looking pretty derelict in the '80's, but I can't seem to find any pictures of it in it's heyday.  Does anyone here have any?  If anyone has any pictures of the interior as well I'd be grateful as I'd like to know whether my memories are accurate.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Brummagemite

Re: Bingley Hall
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2016, 03:21:24 PM »
Hi Judith

I too remember the old Bingley Hall, and have a vague recollection of going there when I was young to see a circus?  It was a long time ago now, so I can't remember much about it, I wonder if anyone else has memories of circuses at the Hall?

Spud

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2016, 03:52:41 PM »
Bingley Hall that brings back a few memories my old memory may be playing me tricks but I seem to remember that when the Ideal Home Exhibition was on little 'Blue Stars' were hidden around the exhibits and if you were lucky enough to find one you won a prize.

I don't if anyone remembers the Show House which was always a feature of the Ideal Home Exhibition. In the early sixties I was working for H Dare and Son the Builders and they were selected to build the show home and decided that their most stylish house would be built it was called 'The Challenge' it really was a lovely building at the time a sort of Swiss Chalet style and  I always remember it had a gallery above the lounge area the bedrooms led off the gallery. Some bright spark at Dares and if I remember correctly it was the youngest Son decided to run a competition for the house. The winner would be awarded 'The Challenge' and they could choose any Dares site on which to build it. At the time Dares had sites anywhere from the south coast right up to Manchester. As luck would have it a Brummie couple won the house and naturally wanted it built in Birmingham. At the time Dares only had one Birmingham Site in Handsworth Wood a really up market development. The Dares did everything to try and talk the winners out of their prize but the couple stuck to their guns and insisted on the Handsworth Wood Site. I think Dares found the worst plot on the estate and gave the couple absolutely no choice of decoration or bathroom suites. They stuck all sorts of leftovers in the house but eventually after much delay and bad feeling the keys were handed over to the winners.
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

cocacolakid

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2016, 05:10:52 PM »
I Went to Bingley Hall a number of times with my parents, mostly for the Ideal Home Exhibition. This was in the 50s. I remember a comedy band called Dr Crock & his Crackpots. In the early 60s I was on a stand for Halfords, at a motor themed show. I also went with my girl friend & a mate, with his girlfriend, to the circus. This would have been around Christmas time.

Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2016, 07:35:53 PM »
this is the only photo iv got og bingley hall before it was pulled down

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

JudithM

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2016, 12:49:47 PM »
I only remember the Ideal Home Exhibitions when they were at the NEC.  I remember the one year when nearly everyone at our end of the road bought these magnetic window cleaning brushes - the magnets were supposed to hold the whole thing together so that you could wash both sides of the window at the same time.  They never worked properly and the 'outside' brush always fell off.  It was a good thing it was attached by a string  ::)

There do seem to be very few pictures of Bingley Hall about - there isn't even one on it's Wikipedia entry  :P

"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

AWJD

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2016, 10:49:14 PM »
I remember going to the ideal home exhibition at Bingley Hall many times when I was a kid - the thing that stuck most in my memory was that they used to sell a tube of some sort of gel that you could blow up like a balloon. It must have been plastic rather than elastic because it wouldn't burst and people used to open up one end and put it round the top of their head and then walk around with this funny looking balloon above their head!

The one thing I can't remember about Bingley hall was where the hell it was?

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2016, 08:16:43 AM »
it was just up from the hall of memory on the same side 
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

AWJD

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2016, 10:34:44 AM »
Was it on the right just the other side of where the Birmingham Canal crosses under Broad Street?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy