Author Topic: bingley hall  (Read 26601 times)

Spud

Re: bingley hall
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2016, 11:28:57 AM »
Going towards Five Ways it was on the right just about where the Convention Centre and Symphony Hall stands today
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

AWJD

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2016, 01:52:53 PM »
It would be nice to see a map of the area at the time the old Bingley Hall was still there. Am I right in saying that the side of Bingley Hall shown in the previously photos more or less coincided with the front of the Symphony Hall and the Convention Centre as it is now?

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2016, 02:57:18 PM »

this is a photo of the hall of memory I have put a red line on the roof of bingley hall   the long white building is in front of bingley hall 
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2016, 03:09:24 PM »
this is the inside of bingley hall

AWJD

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2016, 05:35:36 PM »
Roy One. Thanks for clarifying its position. I think I must have a big hole in my memory because I can't remember anything about the buildings in that part of Broad Street, which is very strange because I used to be a marine cadet at TSS Vernon based on the side of Gas Street basin about 50 m away!

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2016, 06:05:03 PM »
awjd

the last time I went to bingley hall was 51 years ago last feb I know that for sure it was the same week I got married  and that I will not forget because her in doors keeps reminding me O0

AWJD

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2016, 06:23:35 PM »
I've managed to find a map of sorts showing the location of Bingley Hall between Edwards Place and Alfred Place which I think is the street shown in the previous photo. It looks as though Bingley Hall was shielded from Broad Street by the Prince of Wales theatre which is probably why I don't remember it from my frequent visits to Gas Street basin. Interestingly, this theatre appears to have taken a direct hit during one of the first bombing raids on Birmingham on 9 April 1941 and was never rebuilt until finally demolished in 1987.

mikejee

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2016, 11:33:51 PM »
The c1950 map below shows bingley Hall in relationship to the Crown , the walls of which at least are still there as "Reflux" if it has not changed again

AWJD

« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2016, 12:14:22 AM »
Comparing this map against a modern map seems to show that the ICC and the Symphony Hall are sited on one side of what was Alfred Place with the Birmingham Rep on the other side.  The Symphony Hall therefore lies on the site of the old Prince of Wales Theatre and the ICC occupies a lot of the site of the old Bingley Hall.

Spud

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2016, 11:19:37 AM »
 I have found an Old Photo of the Old Prince Of Wales Theatre but I am having a problem down loading it.
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2016, 01:03:10 PM »
Spud

Try making the photo a little smaller (less than 80k) by using

http://webresizer.com/

Or use this site,

http://www.tinypic.com/
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy