Author Topic: bingley hall  (Read 26537 times)

brino1962

bingley hall
« on: February 28, 2008, 10:33:30 AM »
anyone remember the old bingley hall,i remember them doing all the boat and caravan shows there,used to blow the balloons up for some of the stands and make a couple of bob selling them,great day out

mazbeth

Re: bingley hall
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 10:50:09 AM »
I remember mom and dad taking us there to see The Dancing Waters.
Let those that love us, love us. And those that don't, may God turn their hearts. And, if He cannot turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping!- Irish blessing

Mikey

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 11:13:36 AM »
I was there for the Dancing Waters, Maz, I was there! I was also dragged there as a kid for the Ideal Home Exhibitions. Much too young to appreciate that. But I was there Maz, when it mattered.

:D
I am not young enough to know everything

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 01:02:01 PM »
I remember visiting Bingley Hall on numerous occasion. My grandfather used to drag me to cattle shows there, but I think those stopped in the early fifties. Then it was the Ideal Home exhibition, I never found any of those stars that were supposed to be hidden round the hall and I always looked.

Then there was Billy Smarts or Chipperfields  Circus, I always seemed to go to those. Strange how we change isn't it. Circuses are definitely not PC now are they.

Phil

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Jacqueline

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 10:16:46 PM »
Remember as a child attending the ideal home show with my gran and my aunt. I was also allowed to take my friend Jayne. We went into a show hosted by Hughie Green and myself and Jayne were on the front row with gran and aunt three or four rows behind.
Hughie asked if anyone in the audience had a draft and gran was first with her hand up. After the usuual jokes about were they up the back passage etc he said he had a pressie to keep the draft out and pulled out a pair of long johns. Yet that was just part of the show and she actualy got a pair of sheets and an electric blanket.....soo 60's. ;D
The other thing i remember was a stall selling fruit juice and i tasted my first pure pineapple juice. ;D

tali

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 07:28:27 PM »
I remember going to the  small version Motor show they had there back in early 80s - they didn't have selection of NEC as they only had 5 Supercars on display- but even though they were cordoned off it was the closest I've been to a Ferrari/Maserati etc  in the flesh- a real wow
Remember asking my  elderly uncle about Bingley Hall and he told me he went there to watch women's wrestling!
"I hear much support for the monarchy.I hear the Union Jack's to remain .I see Namatjira in custody.I see Truganini's in chains"

denise

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 11:00:50 PM »
I remember going to the boat show and the Ideal Home show.

I still have a chopping knife I purchased there.It has survived my several house moves. :)

rembrant

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 06:54:31 PM »
i remember going to see Hawkwind and judest priest play at bingley hall , it was freezing in there and people were setting light to newspapers for a bit of warmth..lol

birdie

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 04:34:24 PM »
Hi all
I remember Bingley Hall. The circus visits.Went on trip with Mary st.school,aged about 8yrs.[ 1947 ]Had to visit the loo,went with friend and on our return took a wrong turn and ended up in the cage run which was used by the lions when released from the transport cage to make their way to the cage in the arena!!! luckily they hadn't been released at that point. Must have been a reporter/photographer in the audience as a photo was taken and we were both in the B'ham Evening Mail.
Also remember performing plays there. many schools participated in competitions.
Then the Ideal Home exhibitions in the 50's & 60's
Birdie 

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 05:20:08 PM »
I remember the circuses at Bingley Hall, I also remember some cattle shows. The thing I remember most was the Ideal Home Exhibitions I was took to see several of those. We always used to look for the hidden blue stars to claim a prize. We never found one though.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

oldbrowny

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 12:42:09 AM »
Hi All Yes Bingley Hall Remember very well seeing the trapeze artists at the Circus there but that was Pre-War  by a few years  Old Browny

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy