Author Topic: bingley hall  (Read 26536 times)

Potomac

Re: bingley hall
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2017, 03:18:39 PM »
After my father left the Army, in late 1946, he started work and I guess was looking for another wife - my mother was no longer around after 1942.  He remarried in 1948 and setting up a new home meant a visit to the Ideal Homes Exhibition at Bingley Hall.
What a pain in the proverbial for an eleven year old!  I had no interest whatsoever if house furnishings but one small delight was to get a couple of small cups of Three Cooks soup which was on their publicity stand.
New furniture  and furnishings did arrive subsequently however one item which did appeal was a radiogram.  It was something of a rarity - I wish I had it now - the maker was Seymour who started up in business in Lancashire in 1948 so this model must have been one of their early models.  Seymour, I gather, was out of business by 1955.  It was a lovely item with curved front lid for access to the turntable - remember only 78 rpm at that time and which were very prone to breakage if not handled carefully.  It was also quite magical for me as it had shortwave as well as the more common long and medium wavebands.  Without doubt my interest in radio was kindled by that item and has stayed with me to the present time.
 [/size]
So, I guess, every cloud has a silver lining.
best wishes,  Alan

countrylad

« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2017, 05:04:07 PM »
Remember Bingley Hall well. Ideal Home Exibition, I think they built a detached house in there one year. Could have been something to do with the Brum Evening Mail (or Daily Mail), I think it was part of a competition so you could win the house. 

Boat and Leisure Life Excibition, I dreamed of living on a boat.

Custom Car show mid / late 1970's, Me and my mate were keen on customising, he had a Morris 1000 van that we worked on, metalflake paint, MGB engine, lovely art work done by my mate (I was better with the spanners and welding), draylon interior. The van was entered on several occasions and was awarded quite a few prizes.

The smell of Hotdogs.

Takes me back a bit  :)

townie

« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2017, 05:23:50 PM »
countrylad. I've lived on a boat its not all its made out to be.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

countrylad

« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2017, 06:03:45 PM »
countrylad. I've lived on a boat its not all its made out to be.
towni, I think I liked the idea of living on a boat, then as I got older I thought it's not for me. I think these days too, it can be difficult to find somewhere safe to moore or live, plus it's expensive in the posher secure marinas.

And the amount of junk I have accumulated over the years I would need a cargo ship for a floating home.
By the way where did you have your boat?

GardenGerald

« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2017, 06:31:25 PM »
Hello Country Lad
I did Bingley Hall one year, I gave a demonstration of how to garden and plants pots and bowls.
The chap who was well known for reading the stars was first on stage, then me and M & S followed.
Their dancing and display of clothes was something well worth seeing. It was as good as most musicals
and I would say only came second best to Dreamboats and Petticoats.
Russel Grant, I just remembered his name was a laugh a minute. We all got on great.
Fantastic memories.
Take care
Gerald.

Scipio

« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2017, 08:39:55 PM »

anyone remember the old bingley hall,i remember them doing all the boat and caravan shows there,used to blow the balloons up for some of the stands and make a couple of bob selling them,great day out

Welcome Brino1962 , I frequented the old Bingley Hall on Broad St for many years . that was when I lived in William St , the Boys & Girls Exhibition , Chipperfields Circus at Christmas , struck me as funny when the circus was in town , while fetching errands on Saturday mornings for the neighbour's . Making my way along Broad St to various shops I saw the young Dickie Chipperfield with his mother shopping . Later on in the afternoon he'd be in the cage with all the growling cats . Good old days entertaining as well as educational , the circus of today has lost it's lustre
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Scipio

« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2017, 08:42:38 PM »

towni, I think I liked the idea of living on a boat, then as I got older I thought it's not for me. I think these days too, it can be difficult to find somewhere safe to moore or live, plus it's expensive in the posher secure marinas.

And the amount of junk I have accumulated over the years I would need a cargo ship for a floating home.

Look on the good side though Countrylad a different front garden every morning
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

countrylad

« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2017, 01:02:17 PM »

Look on the good side though Countrylad a different front garden every morning
Well, there is that and a different milkman  O0

GardenGerald

« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2017, 05:14:06 PM »
Hello Country Lad
The Milkman has four legs and is called a Cow. You soon get the hang of when to pull and when to squeeze.
Happy Milking
Gerald.

townie

« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2017, 06:19:44 PM »

countrylad. I've had 4 narrow boats over the years. My boats were moored at Alvecote Marina, Tamworth.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

countrylad

« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2017, 07:25:53 AM »
Hello Country Lad
The Milkman has four legs and is called a Cow. You soon get the hang of when to pull and when to squeeze.
Happy Milking
Gerald.
Hello Gerald, as long as I don't catch hold of the bull or he of me, I should be OK ;D [size=78%] [/size] O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy