Author Topic: What Do You Love Most About Birmingham?  (Read 30339 times)

tramp

Re: What Do You Love Most About Birmingham?
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2008, 12:29:27 PM »
Phil,

Very well done - what a terrific historical line you trace. I purposely said line rather than development.  I remember the second post war, I may see the the fourth, but unfortunately, I obviously never knew the very attractive first, and am happy to say that I never saw the third!  So for me it has to be the second as that is what I knew.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2008, 04:29:10 PM »
Fred

Some good news for you, this was in tonights Birmingham Evening Mail.  You lucky people, you might even get a copy of Selfridges.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Jill

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2008, 05:11:56 PM »
Lovely photographs Mazbeth, especially those of Cannon Hill Park.  I met my husband at the first Tulip Festival in Cannon Hill Park.  Many, many, moons ago!!

frederick

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2008, 05:15:35 PM »
the swansea marina development i think it is allready under way there is now a new swimming pool and the highest block of flats is being built on the marina i saw them last week end, but down here ware i live we now have tesco's argos brantano peacocks focus instore MacDonald's asda lidl and willkinsons are opening the end of march and they are all on the main road into town we have now got traffic lights ,congestion, it used to be a sleepy sea side town but the main road into town is now mental so much for progress. but better news we are having a £800,000,000 power station built on the grounds of ware the old one used to be traffic to the power station doesn't have to go through our town
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

mazbeth

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2008, 05:30:06 PM »
Lovely photographs Mazbeth, especially those of Cannon Hill Park.  I met my husband at the first Tulip Festival in Cannon Hill Park.  Many, many, moons ago!!
hello Jill Welcome!

I remember some of the 60's ones...although have to admit I was a child with mom and dad (according to some photos, anyway  ;))

but come the early 70's, me and my schoolfriends were out to snare lads at the fairground part.  ;D
Let those that love us, love us. And those that don't, may God turn their hearts. And, if He cannot turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping!- Irish blessing

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2008, 06:32:40 PM »
Jill

I was at the first Tulip Festival at Cannon Hill Park. I'm not sure if it was 61 or 62 but I know I was there.  I met many young ladies in Cannon Hill Park, I never married any of them. That would be their good luck.  I went many years running, but trailed off when they changed it to the spring festival.  It seemed as if they never tried as hard and it lost its appeal.

Do you remember the fair, I suppose that is where you met your husband as that is where most of the youngsters hung out.

Phil

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

frederick

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2008, 06:46:45 PM »
there has been talk for some years about regenerating swansea centre it's a 48 acre site and with the out of town shopping with it's free parking the town centre is dieing, the town centre is getting old now and needs looking at but there are some nice old buildings in the centre. the queen was in swansea to day to open the sports centre.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Jill

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2008, 03:30:54 PM »
Mazbeth.  Thank you for your welcome.
Phil.  Ha! You guessed.  I did meet my husband at the fair. His first words to me were 'Give us your coconut luv' (I was holding a coconut some other lad had given me).  So you see, as chat up lines go, you have to admit his was especially romantic!!

mazbeth

« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2008, 03:35:27 PM »
 ;D ;D

yes me and my friends used to go round the fair looking for lads (although we probably wouldn't have admitted it  :D)
Let those that love us, love us. And those that don't, may God turn their hearts. And, if He cannot turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping!- Irish blessing

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2008, 03:45:59 PM »
;D ;D

yes me and my friends used to go round the fair looking for lads (although we probably wouldn't have admitted it  :D)

Mazbeth

The thing is that we lads knew why you were there, and that is why we were there.

Jill

As long as he didn't want you to carry his coconut.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2008, 03:49:03 PM »
Jill,

Welcome to the forum Jill, and enjoy yourself.

Your husband comes across as being original, cheeky and romantic - which is exactly what you were waiting for  - after all, he called you 'luv' the first time that he spoke to you! :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy