Author Topic: What Do You Love Most About Birmingham?  (Read 30366 times)

Flug

Re: What Do You Love Most About Birmingham?
« Reply #143 on: May 12, 2008, 05:37:08 PM »
Tramp,

It's known as the Mad Stad.  To be honest he's done a lot for a club that used to languish in the old fourth division, but it's time for a consortium with real ambition.   I mean just look at the possible catchment area around Reading. They'll never be Man Utd or Arsenal etc but this man did not learn from the error that pompey made. You can't do the premier league on the Cheap.  Getting in  the top 5 or 6 now costs over £100 million.   Poor old JM only owns half of Reading town....oh and the town council by the look of it!

tramp

« Reply #144 on: May 12, 2008, 05:51:02 PM »
Flug,

It's not just the 100 MM, you need to spend it correctly, and for that you need a very good manager, and then you need time - you can't go from C/ship to PL TOP 6 - and stay there, in under 6 years unless you are very lucky.

tramp

tramp

« Reply #145 on: June 05, 2008, 02:42:06 AM »
With respect to the thread title and the city's football team the second city is now more accurately represented by the latter as it is now in the second tier. 

It is said that many Villa fans are glad to be independent of connotations of Birmingham (City of), yet a few weeks ago, one of them, feeling sorry for Small Heath Alliance phoned enquiring about the kick off time of the next game, and was asked ''What time can you can you come?''.  Knowing that matches are sometimes moved, he then tried to verify the matchday.  The reply was "When are you free?"...........Terrible isn't? and it's only 52 years since they finished 6th!

What would Gil Merrick think of this?

mazbeth

« Reply #146 on: June 19, 2008, 10:56:44 PM »
With respect to the thread title and the city's football team the second city is now more accurately represented by the latter as it is now in the second tier. 

It is said that many Villa fans are glad to be independent of connotations of Birmingham (City of), yet a few weeks ago, one of them, feeling sorry for Small Heath Alliance phoned enquiring about the kick off time of the next game, and was asked ''What time can you can you come?''.  Knowing that matches are sometimes moved, he then tried to verify the matchday.  The reply was "When are you free?"...........Terrible isn't? and it's only 52 years since they finished 6th!

What would Gil Merrick think of this?
I am sure many of their fans remain loyal, through thick and thin.
Let those that love us, love us. And those that don't, may God turn their hearts. And, if He cannot turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping!- Irish blessing

cappdn

« Reply #147 on: July 06, 2008, 10:59:43 PM »
I loved the Bull Ring as it was in the 40s and 50s, it had real character,but I love most of all the people, they are down to earth and will say exactly what they mean, cutting through all the bull dust to make their point. I live in Australia, but I was born and bred in Brummingam and still return now and again to see the changes. It is and always was a great city with its ethnic diversity and its people who always have new ideas and inovations.
I love living were I do, but I will always be a proud Brummy.
Regards to all Brummies  wherever they may be.

Jacqueline

« Reply #148 on: July 06, 2008, 11:19:12 PM »
I was not around in the 40's and being born mid 50's guess most of my memories are from the 60's. However after seeing a photo of the old market hall it did ring a bell and i am sure i went there with my gran as a small child.
I so remember the new bull ring of the 60's and the building of the rotunda...bloody ugly building. ???
I loved the rag market. The buzz was fantastic. Have not been to the new markets even though i still live in Brum. Guess i am either idle or want to remember them as they were. ;D

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #149 on: July 06, 2008, 11:48:56 PM »
I remember the Bull Ring prior to the sixties very well even though I was barely into my teens when they started to obliterate it from the face of the earth.

Whatever you want to say about the Bull Ring of the sixties, it was my Bull Ring the one I grew to adulthood with. I knew every nook and cranny of it, I knew most of the people in most of the shops.

I knew all the girls in Woolworths and can say without any conceit that I dated nearly every unmarried girl in there, and some who's marital status I was not too sure about.

In fact my mate and me got banned from Woolworths for taking girls over to the Talbot (Bull Ring Tavern) in their dinner hour.

I suppose I was what you would class as a Townie, not one of these weekend types. We were the ones who would spend days and nights on end up there in the pubs, clubs, and all night cafes, and sometimes even the all nighters at the town hall. In the summer we would sleep all day in Manzoni Gardens.

I loved the place, even when it started to go down the nick a bit, It was still wonderful to me. The only drawbacks were when money got short and I had to work for a while to replenish the coffers. It was a sad day when I became part of the establishment and became respectable, if thats what you call it.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy