Author Topic: Could this be Upper Cox St in late 1800's  (Read 4064 times)

brum girl

Could this be Upper Cox St in late 1800's
« on: November 29, 2015, 09:14:14 PM »
Hi there,
I have posted this picture before but only in a Stoney lane thread. Phil said it looked like an early photo. My great,great granddad (John Smyth) was listed in Kelly's at 47 Upper Cox St in 1896 & 1897. He and all his sons were bootmakers & John is listed in 1899 being at 1 Stoney Lane.His son Matthew eventually took over at Stoney Lane where he ran a bootmakers for some time. The Gould name confuses the issue though as the photo was in my granddad's papers & my dad doesn't know who is pictured.
I was hoping that it was my distant family maybe running the shop for the Goulds. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I've hit a dead end.

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Could this be Upper Cox St in late 1800's
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 09:39:23 PM »
Hello Again Brumgirl

I don't remember if I told you before but the nearest I can get with the editions of Kelly's that I have is 1903. In that edition ! Stoney Lane is listed as John Peabody Bootmaker. There are Gould Bros bootmakers listed at 211 Coventry Rd and an Arthur Watson Gould bootmaker listed at 116 Oldfield Rd.

In 1903 47 Upper Cox Street has no listing, but there is a Matthew Smythe listed at 2 Silver Street.

I don't know if Mikejee had a look at this last time you were on, if not I will ask him to take a look next time he is on the forum.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

brum girl

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 04:03:16 PM »
Hi Phil,
thanks for your reply. I do have info that Matthew Smyth was living at 1 Stoney Lane in 1899 to at least 1904 as he is listed in the UK trade directory for 1904!In 1904 he did move to Frances Street and then by 1911 census , Matthew was in Silver Street running the bootmakers.
I've tried looking at Coventry rd photes to see if I can identify the photo but no luck so far.

planetmalc

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 05:33:57 PM »
I've tried looking at Coventry rd photes to see if I can identify the photo but no luck so far.

You need to be careful here 'cos I think Coventry Road premises in that area went through a re-numbering scheme early last century.
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

mikejee

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 12:51:02 AM »
Brumgirl

As the sign over the shop says Gould Bros, I think it likely (in fact almost certain) that the entry in Kellys will be Gould Bros.
Gould Bros are listed in Kellys at 211 Coventry Road, bootmakers, from about 1888 (not there 1884) till sometime after 1921
Also from 1904 till about 1908 (not there 1910) they were also  at 401 Stratford Road listed as boot repairers .
The map below shows no 211 (numbering around here was altered around 1884, but not between then and 1950)
It is difficult to tell if this might be the building in th ephoto. If the view was slightly wider then it would be easy

mikejee

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 01:22:15 AM »

planetmalc

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 03:05:12 PM »
Brumgirl

As the sign over the shop says Gould Bros, I think it likely (in fact almost certain) that the entry in Kellys will be Gould Bros.
Gould Bros are listed in Kellys at 211 Coventry Road, bootmakers, from about 1888 (not there 1884) till sometime after 1921
The map below shows no 211 (numbering around here was altered around 1884, but not between then and 1950)
It is difficult to tell if this might be the building in th ephoto. If the view was slightly wider then it would be easy

A while back, Phil and I had a conversation about a property in the vicinity of #211 (it may even have been the same property) but it was not Gould Bros (might possibly have been a branch of the Co-op).     A photo was posted, so if this could be found and compared with the Gould Bros photo, it might help with identification.
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

brum girl

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 11:00:00 PM »
Hi MikeJee,

Just picked up your replies and am pleased to say that you have hit nail on head. I now believe 100% that my photo is indeed Stratford Road.  The criss-cross masonry work is identical & so is the style of the windows. Really impressed!! But now this gives me another problem as to who the people are in the photo. Are they Goulds or my relatives - I'll never know!!
But thank you again for solving the location.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015, 12:12:51 PM »
hi brum girl  just for you iv added a bit of colour to your photo hope you do not mind

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

brum girl

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2015, 07:41:51 PM »
Colour is great! thankyou. How can I select the photo now to print in colour, you are obviously an expert.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2015, 07:59:43 PM »
hi brum girl   put your curser on the photo then right click you mouse button a list will come up one is print you can try that I never use it my self but give it a go roy

if you have got any more black and white photos you would like a bit of colour to them put them up and ill see what I can do for you no charge its free
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy