Author Topic: German Markets  (Read 6759 times)

Joewoen

Re: German Markets
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2015, 07:23:49 PM »
Joewoen Where do you live? not actual address just area.

Why?

I have mentioned where I live recently in your thread about where are you from.

Spud

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2015, 11:16:48 AM »
Personally I look forward to the German Christmas Market I that it does attract visitors to the City and even locals who do not usually go into Town. As for having an English Market don't we already have a year round one in The Bull Ring.
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

JudithM

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2015, 01:30:44 PM »
I make an annual visit to the German Market and always buy a little glass animal from one particular stall (this year a little yellow chick).  I have noticed it seems a lot quieter this year.  Normally it's rammed & you have to push your way through, but this year there was no crush.  I know there are the same stalls in the same places every year so maybe people aren't rushing to it like they have before.  Has anyone else who' been noticed fewer people?
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2015, 01:54:34 PM »
I haven't been to the German Market since the first one in 1997, this was a very small affair with few stalls no more than a dozen I would say. I came back annoyed at the fact that I saw nothing that could not have been produced or sold by Birmingham Market Traders at a cheaper cost as well.

Since then I understand that it has grown in size but not with German traders as we are led to believe by it's marketing as a German Market or is the Council too afraid to market it under a more truthful name as a Eastern Europe Market?

This quote is from German Comedian Henning Wehn "I had the pleasure of being in Birmingham on the opening night of their massive German Christmas market. And I have to say it's amazing how many of my countrymen are fluent in Romanian these days".
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

planetmalc

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2015, 04:04:45 PM »
I have noticed it seems a lot quieter this year.  Normally it's rammed & you have to push your way through, but this year there was no crush.  Has anyone else who' been noticed fewer people?

Could be the lousy weather that's putting them off.    I've made two 'proper' visits to it this year and it started raining both times :-\ and this could be forcing visitors into the completely dry competing attraction   -   Grand Central.
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

SENSIBLE

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2015, 09:35:08 AM »
Too expensive!  Why pay rip off prices for things that can be purchased far more cheaply elsewhere.

Let your smile change the world, but don’t let the world change your smile

Bannion

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2015, 11:45:23 AM »
Sensible,

Have you personally known examples of items, sold there, that can be bought cheaper elsewhere or is it a general assumption?  Be useful for folk to know before being duped.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2015, 11:55:23 AM »
Bannion

As I said it been a long time since I went there, but the first thing I noticed was the was the price of the Lager which could be purchased in any local pub much cheaper and they are a rip off compared to any local. Then there were the fancy hot dogs at twice the price for the fancy names and fancy sausages.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Bannion

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2015, 12:44:37 PM »
Phil,  Thanks for the reply.   They are obviously cashing in on a tied audience.  If you want a snack and alcohol on site you pay for the experience of doing so due to the title of the place.   Like, in a way I would imagine, these fun parks and attractions around the country charge excessively for items far cheaper away from it.

Joewoen

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2015, 05:45:26 PM »
We have bought several Christmas decorations from the market. They were a little pricey, but they did have quality and definite German origins. They are still good and the intricately cut fretwork welcome lamp is still going strong 8 years on.

JudithM

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2015, 12:56:50 PM »
I think that that is one of the 'problems' with the Christmas Market - the stuff is generally such good quality that you only need to buy it the once  ;D 

I have bought presents from there over the years, and I always buy myself a little glass animal each year, but as the stalls are much the same every year there isn't much 'new' to buy for people.  The past few years I have just bought chocolates & sweets.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy