Author Topic: German Markets  (Read 6762 times)

Joewoen

Re: German Markets
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2015, 09:03:05 PM »
I think that that is one of the 'problems' with the Christmas Market - the stuff is generally such good quality that you only need to buy it the once  ;D 

I have bought presents from there over the years, and I always buy myself a little glass animal each year, but as the stalls are much the same every year there isn't much 'new' to buy for people.  The past few years I have just bought chocolates & sweets.

Judith, you have hit the nail on the head. Once you have bought what you want, you go then for the atmosphere, maybe a drink or two and not forgetting the Weiner.

thecraftsman

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2015, 02:41:07 PM »
The German Market is wonderful.  I find that it really gets you geared up for the festive period!

ray wilson

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2016, 05:29:48 PM »
I was at a well known German supermarket towards the end of December and imagine my surprise when a chap was loading up his trolley with frozen Bratwurst. We both came out of the shop at the same time and saw him load all the produce into a German plated fridge truck which I had seen earlier in the week when I visited the market........Imagine the mark up !!! 

Joewoen

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2016, 06:05:32 PM »
I was at a well known German supermarket towards the end of December and imagine my surprise when a chap was loading up his trolley with frozen Bratwurst. We both came out of the shop at the same time and saw him load all the produce into a German plated fridge truck which I had seen earlier in the week when I visited the market........Imagine the mark up !!!

Yes we could eat the bratwurst at home at a fraction of the cost, but its good to have the atmosphere sometimes. Your story reminds me of visiting a café in a small Irish town. We asked for 2 glasses of 7up. We watched him cross the road and buy a 2 litre bottle from the shop opposite. The mark up must have been huge and we could have done the same thing. But it was all part of the wonderful experience of touring southern Ireland.

townie

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2016, 08:48:41 PM »
I remember that a Landlord in a pub by where I lived made a mint, when he ran out of beer he used to nip down to the supermarket and buy loads of cans and sell them as pints of beer at pub prices. I'm just wondering if he was German. 
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

SENSIBLE

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2016, 07:48:05 PM »
I remember that a Landlord in a pub by where I lived made a mint, when he ran out of beer he used to nip down to the supermarket and buy loads of cans and sell them as pints of beer at pub prices. I'm just wondering if he was German.

Having been a regular visitor to the German Xmas markets that are actually in Germany over many years I can assure you that the one that comes to Birmingham every year is just as good - apart from the ridiculously overpriced goods on its stalls
Let your smile change the world, but don’t let the world change your smile

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy