Author Topic: kings norton is it really that bad? found a nice flat west mill croft...  (Read 12561 times)

planetmalc

Re: kings norton is it really that bad? found a nice flat west mill croft...
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2015, 12:59:45 PM »
The trouble is that once an area gets a bad name, then no matter how much it improves and no matter what is done to improve the area it still retains it's bad reputation. Often this reputation is continued to be spread by people who know very little about the area and only know what they have been told by others because it has been years since they actually were anywhere near the locality.

True, but if everything you've been told about an area is bad, it wouldn't be very public-spirited to not warn potential buyers about it, would it?     My experience of Hawkesley is around 15 years old and it's my own experience, not second-hand gossip.     Let me tell you the details of what I saw when I last went there.      I'd gone exploring on my mountain-bike and had actually cycled the length of the alleyway that runs behind West Mill Croft (the Croft is part of a small modern estate that's criss-crossed by a multitude of back-alleys that offer a short-cut to just about anywhere around Hawkesley) and I enventually finished up at the shopping centre.     This is small, and ALL the shops were boarded up, though still trading (either they'd all had their windows smashed, or the wood was there to save them from that fate).     The overhead lighting was all smashed, too, so you can imagine how dim it was in there.     In the gloom, small pockets of low-life could be seen hanging around in groups, eyeing up me & the bike.     I managed to get out unscathed and headed for what turned out to be Primrose Hill.      'Primrose Hill', it sounds lovely, doesn't it, and maybe it was the day it was built, but that day had long gone when I was there and demolition was well underway.     But this wasn't Council-approved demolition: the houses were wrecked but still being lived in and a large family   -   men, women & urchins   -   in one of them had decided to entertain themselves with a bonfire, so they were kicking their garden fence down and throwing it on to keep the blaze going, and it looked like there was already a door on there.     The back door to their house was either open or already on the bonfire (I didn't want to draw attention to myslf by gawping) and I could see their furniture inside.      So, here are people who wreck their, i.e. 'our', council house for a bit of Sunday afternoon entertainment.     How can I not warn Josh about this?
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Paulina

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2015, 01:10:29 PM »
I always thought Kings Norton was an alright area but I havent been there for many years.

frederick

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2015, 01:27:27 PM »
A cousin of mine lives in Kings Norton in a newish house, but now he wants to move. On his road there as been some flats built and guess what they have been filled with Somarlian families. He said the road has gone right down.      :(       :o
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

wetdog

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2015, 03:01:54 PM »
where have they built flats in kings Norton ?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2015, 03:04:35 PM »
Yes PM you are right to warn Josh of what you know, but emphasise you are talking 15 years ago and you only know what it's like today by what you have heard and read.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2015, 03:12:21 PM »
where have they built flats in kings Norton ?

Wetdog

It's been a while since I was last in the area (not since I retired) but I remember blocks of flats on Icknield St, Foyle Rd & Shannon Rd. I have no idea if they are still there today.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

wetdog

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2015, 03:30:46 PM »
I thought he ment new flats "On his road there as been some flats built" I see they have taken down most of the flats in the last two years , I am there every day as I have a property there and my parents still live in kings Norton and I know its not that bad

frederick

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2015, 05:20:21 PM »

Wetdog,
The cousin of mine lives in Cressy close. From what he said the flats are newly built.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2015, 05:30:41 PM »
Fred

Cressy Close is quite a way from Kings Norton, it is more Lifford or Cotteridge way and is in the area of Dingle Mead that was being discussed the other day. That area also had a bad reputation in the 70's but I haven't heard anything about it of late.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

wetdog

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2015, 05:40:16 PM »
that's a long way from the address in Q here (I think its kings heath) its part of the cannel development and I have been past it on a push bike many times whilst out for a ride , and it looks good with no signs of problems what so ever , its next to the cycle route and worth a look , is your cousin of sound mind

frederick

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2015, 05:55:14 PM »
His address is Kings Heath B14 6q.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy