Author Topic: kingshurst 1958/1970  (Read 22221 times)

townie

Re: kingshurst 1958/1970
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2016, 06:24:36 PM »
Hi Shard End boy,

If it helps, Su's brother is Trevor.

As you can see, I am new to the site and can not find any way of finding your name or sending you a private message. I would be grateful for your help.

Ian

Hi Ian I have been thinking about the Susan I knew and think her name was Horton not Homer, and I am not sure she had a brother, she may have done though it was a long time ago. 
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

sneaves

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2016, 10:32:06 PM »
My sister was the district midwife at Kingshurst for a few years around 1960. Her name was Elaine Nuthall. She delivered many babies there and lived in a house provided by the Council, if I recall correctly.

Greengrass

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2016, 11:55:22 PM »
Sorry about this late reply to townie and Jan B but I've only just registered. You were talking about the Rob Roy club and it's subsequent names. When I was in Castle Brom during the late 40's that building used to be Gasgoins funeral  parlour and at that time Redcroft timber yard ( next door towards Coleshill) didn't exist. The next place,going towards Brum was castle Bromwich garage, a run down sort of place and next to that was a bungalow and then George Weavers garage on the corner of Hurst lane.  Eventually Castle Bromwich garage became a Texaco petrol station.
Does anybody remember the 'Old Barn' behind the houses in Elmfield road with its pond which we used to skate on in the winter, talk about health and safety !!

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2016, 11:32:54 AM »
Sorry about this late reply to townie and Jan B but I've only just registered. You were talking about the Rob Roy club and it's subsequent names. When I was in Castle Brom during the late 40's that building used to be Gasgoins funeral  parlour and at that time Redcroft timber yard ( next door towards Coleshill) didn't exist. The next place,going towards Brum was castle Bromwich garage, a run down sort of place and next to that was a bungalow and then George Weavers garage on the corner of Hurst lane.  Eventually Castle Bromwich garage became a Texaco petrol station.
Does anybody remember the 'Old Barn' behind the houses in Elmfield road with its pond which we used to skate on in the winter, talk about health and safety !!
Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2016, 11:38:02 AM »
Where was the scrapyard where you and I used to play in the old cars, often jumping from one to another? We also used to put bangers in the petrol tanks.

Greengrass

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2016, 01:12:56 PM »
Quite true Ian.  I think they were Rover car body shells, about a dozen or more.  They stayed there until they almost completely rotted away.  I think the site is now covered by the retirement home, Chestnut court.  Do you remember the large concrete blocks, about 20 of them, that were laying on the wide grass central  reservation beside the Chester road.  We were told that if there was an invasion that they would be dragged across the Chester road to prevent the invasion forces making use of the highway to move tanks etc.

townie

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2016, 08:30:23 PM »
Greengrass and Ian what year are you talking about?

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2016, 12:11:04 PM »
Where was the scrapyard where we used to play in the old cars, often jumping from one to another? We also used to put bangers in the petrol tanks.

I thought that the Chesterfield (later Bel Air then Rob Roy) club was built on the site of the old scrap yard.

Yes, I remember the concrete blocks and all the tanks and armoured vehicles parked towards the end of the War on the side of the Chester Road where Kingshurst is now.

However, I think we may be straying from the topic of Kingshurst 1958/70. Perhaps a new topic?

Greengrass

« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2016, 10:57:39 PM »
Ian, the entrance to the scrap yard was up a lane off the Chester road next to the Harrison's house.  The Harrison's house was demolished to make way for Chestnut  court. The Rob Roy was about  100 yards further along  towards Hurst lane.
Anyway that's enough about that subject.  Back to Shard end I remember my school teacher, Mrs Turner, at Bently road school telling us that dredging had started at Shard end in readiness for the new housing estate. I was ten years old and the year was 1951.

townie

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2016, 06:50:31 AM »
Hi Greengrass Where was Bently road school in Shard End?

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2016, 05:58:00 PM »
Sorry Townie, I have only just spotted your question.
Greengrass and I were at Bentley Road Junior School (also known as Castle Bromwich Junior School) from 1946 until 1952. In those days parents did not accompany their children to school so most of our escapades took place on the way home.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy