Author Topic: kingshurst 1958/1970  (Read 22220 times)

Tony22b

Re: kingshurst 1958/1970
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2018, 01:10:23 PM »
Hello Janet & Vamann,

I grew up on the Chester Road when it was approximately 50 houses stretching from Scotford’s Stores down to the white house owned by the Price family. We were surrounded by fields and most days my younger brother and I would play in the service road with 7 or 8 other children, or in Smith’s wood behind our houses.

When I was 10, Dares started building Kingshurst estate. My parents were not very happy, especially as it was supposed to be Green Belt land but for me  and my friends, it was another place to play. We used to swing by our legs from the ‘Dare to build’ sign and when we became teenagers, the site office balcony was our nightly meeting place. Some of you may remember Brian Crook from Ash Crescent, Thelma Naylor who lived at 1 Meriden Drive, Janet Aston and Janet Leese. There was nothing on the estate for teenagers then so we started a record club, alternating between our houses to play rock 'n' roll records. This became the youth club when the church hall was built.

Janetbrown, you mentioned the name Dukelow. My brother went out with Rubina Dukelow one night and her boyfriend, Frank Norbury threatened to fight him. Not wise as my brother, Bob was a tough farmer. I think Rubina and Frank eventually married. Did you know my old mate John Dunn who lived almost opposite the Punchbowl?

Vamann, I knew Mavis Mann quite well. In fact, I tried to ‘get off’ with her in the Castle Cinema one night. I don’t think she was very impressed - a very discerning girl even at that age.

44 years ago, I married Susan Homer from Kingshurst Way and when we make the trip from Worcestershire, unfortunately sometimes to attend the funeral of one of our old friends, we often make a detour around Kingshurst and reminisce about the ‘old times’.

Hi Ian,

How old are the houses from the Toby Jug down to the white house on the Chester Rd ? I presume the White house was the last house of the row with Smiths wood school playing behind them ? i recall someone mentioning the architect who designed those houses lived in the end house ?

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2018, 05:29:24 PM »

Hi Ian,

How old are the houses from the Toby Jug down to the white house on the Chester Rd ? I presume the White house was the last house of the row with Smiths wood school playing behind them ? i recall someone mentioning the architect who designed those houses lived in the end house ?

Hi Tony,

The houses from the shop, (which was Scotfords Groceries), to the white house were built in the 1930s. My parents rented, and later bought, number 547 where I was born in 1941. The Price family lived in the white house and my brother and I played with their children. Colin was the father and he told me that his father built the houses and gave him the last one which is the only detached one in the row. My wife and I used to visit Colin occasionally until he died approximately 10 years ago having lived all his married life in that house.

In 1953, we moved from 547 to 551 because the houses from Scotfords to 547 had a downstairs bathroom and outside toilet whereas, from 549 to the white house, they all had an upstairs bathroom and toilet. No doubt, the others have all been modified now.

I always tell my friends that growing up in that row of houses on the side of the busy Chester Road was like living in a straight line village where all the children played out together, we knew the names of all the residents and were surrounded by fields until Kingshurst, Chelmsley and Smith's Wood were built.

The houses from the Toby Jug up to the shop, (which I believe is now a motor factors), were built in the 1950s with Burton's Farm estate behind where my sister-in-law grew up and also where actress Lindsay Duncan lived as a teenager. 
Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

townie

« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2018, 07:38:47 PM »
I was always under the impression that the Toby Jug and that side of the road came under Castle Bromwich. 
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2018, 04:13:18 PM »
I was always under the impression that the Toby Jug and that side of the road came under Castle Bromwich.

Our postal address was Castle Bromwich, Birmingham but we paid our rates to Warwickshire.
Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2019, 08:22:06 AM »
[font=]Hello all I'm David Osborne  I remember Brian Cope what a lovely  fella, I grew up in Withy grove but got married and move to Laburnum are in 71 happy days so my wife tells me[/font]
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

vamann

« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2019, 09:13:21 AM »
[font=]Hello all I'm David Osborne  I remember Brian Cope what a lovely  fella, I grew up in Withy grove but got married and move to Laburnum are in 71 happy days so my wife tells me[/font]
My Wife lived in Laburnum until we married end of 1970, then moved to Water Orton.  Her parents lived there until the mid eighties almost opposite the phone box.

townie

« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2019, 10:26:22 AM »
Roy I'm getting a bit mixed up here are you David Osborne?
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Ric cole

« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2019, 10:06:57 AM »
Hi everyone I'm not sure if any one remembers me Cedric Cole (Ric) we lived at 14 Rowington Rd Shhard End.We moved there in about 1952!!. Went the Christ the King school in Kingstanding by coach and then to the Abbey Erdinington by coach. When Guardian Angels opened I was sent there but only lasted a day as they were full. I was moved to Shirston Primary which was the best thing that happened to me.great school.
I still remember many names from then. Eddie Moore the Pickering brothers, John Chamberlain, and many more. Great memories. I am now livining in Perth Australia would love to hear from anyone from that time.

simbatipps

« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2019, 04:55:07 PM »
Okay thanks vamann.

I lived my life in Silver birch and that name is familiar. Can you remember her Christian name?

BobDL

« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2019, 07:12:11 PM »
Hi, I'm new to this forum, but reading through the post I note that there has been no mention of the Kingshurst United football team which was set up in 1959 (I think). It was a combination young players living in Kingshurst and Burton's Farm estates, most of who went to the Kingshurst Youth Club (referred to by my brother Ian Dalziel in earlier pages). I was the goalkeeper during the first two years the team was put together and our home ground was at Glebe farm. We did really that first year and came 2nd in our league. When I left the area I lost contact with many of the original team as well as many of my mates who lived in Kingshurst  and Burton's Farm.

Does anyone remember the team and how it faired?   

Rayfount

« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2024, 11:27:25 PM »
I've only just come across this site and was interested in the conversation about the area. I used to know a young lady way back approx 1968 called Geraldine Shanahan from Meridan Drive. Often wondered what happened to her and if she or family still loved close by.
Cheers, Ray

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy