Author Topic: Lee Bank Area  (Read 15420 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Lee Bank Area
« on: January 19, 2016, 02:53:04 PM »
Throughout the forum there are many mentions of the Lee Bank area, now called Attwood Green I believe, it's always been a bit of a mystery to me if it was Edgbaston or Ladywood, but I've always known it as the district of Lee Bank.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Lee Bank Area
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 02:59:24 PM »
Sidecarsid

The area of Bell Barn Rd you have described to me elsewhere sound to me that it was around the area of Wynn Street or in fact where Wynn Street used to be. I think that Wynn Street disappeared in the first round of demolitions in the area sometime in the late 40's early 50's, Here a couple of maps showing the changes made at that time, have a look and see if they refresh your memory and in the meantime I'll see what photos I can come up with.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 12:04:41 AM »
Wasn't Lee Bank on the right as you went up Lea Bank road from town and most of the estate was flats?
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 12:07:33 PM »
Sid

Here are some photos of Bell Barn Rd in the 60's when they were beginning to demolish it and put up the flats. You might just recognise some of them. As I work it out the Swan on the corner of Wynn Street would have been quite close to you.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Malvernian

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 10:55:05 AM »
I lived in Irving Street from 1949 to 1958 - near the "g" in "Playg Fld" on the modern map - so I can at least still go and stand on the spot of land where I was born!  We always knew the area as part of Edgbaston although the main part, where the posh people lived, and where we did our scrumping, was to the south of Lee Bank Road. I think the name Lee Bank was created when the area was redeveloped in the 60s.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 11:41:06 AM »
Hi Malverian

I don't think I have ever welcomed you to the forum even though you have been a member for quite a while. Yes there is not much of Irving Street left to what there used to be as it used to be a pretty busy street. At least if you fell out of a treet whilst scrumping you didn't have far to go to the Accident Hospital.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Malvernian

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 01:31:03 PM »
Phil - thanks for the welcome and the pics - think I've seen them somewhere before - still in touch with a friend that was born up the Limes terrace (pic 2) - and as for falling out of a tree - I never suffered it - but I did get stranded up an apple tree once in an orchard in Elvetham Road - the pyramid of mates that had got me up there disappeared when the tree owner appeared - he couldn't reach me but harangued me from ground level - my "mates" only reappeared to get me down when the owner headed to his house, perhaps to get his shot-gun! - I have two apple trees in the garden here - still can't bear to see the apples go to waste - Bill   

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 04:12:01 PM »
Malvernian

I'd be very much surprised if you hadn't seen those photos before, as I have no doubt that they are already on the forum somewhere. Beside when a new photo of old Birmingham appears on any site it's all over the internet within hours. I don't know if any of your family were drinkers but if they were I have no doubt they would have used one of these hostelry's as they were all on Irving Street.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Malvernian

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 04:46:00 PM »
The Dolphin was the one just across the road from us and where the Smith dynasty thereabouts did their drinking - my mother was a Smith. Mac Joseph kindly sent me a high res copy of the pic when it landed somehow on his website   Mum worked at the Dolphin as a cleaner, barmaid and eventually as what you would nowadays call a pub-manager, when the landlord, a chap called Len Tolley had his day off, or went on his holidays. Len tried to persuade mum and dad to take on a pub - they got as far as viewing the Vine Stores on Bath Row but decided the tie to the business would be too much for them.

Akatarawa

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2016, 11:43:41 PM »
My Dad worked at Burman and Sons Lee Bank Works in Ryland Road from the mid 30s through to when the firm moved to Kings Norton.

Sidecarsid

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 10:19:08 AM »
Hi Phil;
My memory of nearly 70 years ago isn’t as sharp as it used to be but thinking back I recall being told that my  two cousins Tony and David Reeves and my older brother were involved in pushing me down a hill in my pram from somewhere around and I sailed across the Bristol road before I was stopped. This makes me think that my aunt and uncle also lived in Bell Barn Road, Lillian and Les Reeves. Our gran’s name was Williams, she and an uncle Bill also must have lived In the road too.
When I was born in 1946 Bell Barn Road postal address was actually Edgbaston and over the other side of the Hagley road was Ladywood, where the original children’s hospital was and where I had my tonsils removed.
I also recall that across the Bristol road from our school, St Catharine’s was an abattoir, I think it was in Wrentham Road and quite often if we where going to school we would occasionally see either a pig or a cow legging it out of town on the Bristol Road followed by several guys chasing after them.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy