Author Topic: Purcell and Betts Photographers  (Read 3506 times)

wakadowakado

Purcell and Betts Photographers
« on: January 22, 2016, 05:56:48 PM »
Hello members, Has any member seen or know of an image of their premises. Also any other
shots of early photographic businesses in Aston. All responses appreciated WAK 's back !

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Purcell and Betts Photographers
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 06:55:32 PM »
Hi Wak

Purcell & Betts 57 Aston Rd north between Holland Rd and Avenue Rd, they were located there from roughly 1905 when they took over from Henry Downes photographer and as far as I cam make out remained in business there until the premises were demolished. I have no information concerning a move to another premises although it is quite possible.

I would think owing to the longevity of the business that there will be loads of photos about, unfortunately I don't have one, but I will have a search about and see what I can come up with.   
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

wakadowakado

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 12:57:01 PM »
Thanks for response. maybe someone will have one

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 08:50:02 AM »
Wak

It was only when I was uploading this photo of the Avenue PH that I realised that the premises that you are looking for would be on it. The photographers shop would be the fourth shop past the public house, Whilst I realise it's not a very good photo of the place you were looking for it is perhaps better than no photo at all.

http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=13242.msg486377#msg486377
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 12:30:59 PM »
Colin

I have moved your last three posts on this thread to a more suitable thread

http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=3327.msg488047#msg488047
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

colin walker

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 12:57:04 PM »
cheers phil

jamesneverjim

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2021, 01:38:16 PM »
Just wondering if anyone found any images of the actual photographic studios in Birmingham?  it seems very bizarre that there is a lack of photos of the companies that took photos :)

Lindajane

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2021, 04:03:07 PM »
Just wondering if anyone found any images of the actual photographic studios in Birmingham?  it seems very bizarre that there is a lack of photos of the companies that took photos :)

Lindajane

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2021, 04:13:09 PM »
We are decorating at the moment. During clearing out I had forgotten that my nannie had given me the family photograph album. It was my grandads family. Their surname was Horton. They were related to the Hortons who own Horton Estates. According to family gossip there was an argument over opening the Midland Hotel as they were very religious. Anyway I have a large number of the photographs taken at these photographers. They are an excellent example of the early 20th century in Birmingham. Unfortunately I cannot find any of the studio however every photo has the Purcell and Betts signature and address. the bottom of the photos also says Day and Electric Light studio - which I love

Scipio

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2021, 06:33:35 PM »
We are decorating at the moment. During clearing out I had forgotten that my nannie had given me the family photograph album. It was my grandads family. Their surname was Horton. They were related to the Hortons who own Horton Estates. According to family gossip there was an argument over opening the Midland Hotel as they were very religious. Anyway I have a large number of the photographs taken at these photographers. They are an excellent example of the early 20th century in Birmingham. Unfortunately I cannot find any of the studio however every photo has the Purcell and Betts signature and address. the bottom of the photos also says Day and Electric Light studio - which I love

Welcome Lindajane I hope you'll enjoy the forum . Would you be willing to share the pics for forum members  of the buildings you have ?
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy