Author Topic: house of lerose  (Read 5601 times)

Jilly64

house of lerose
« on: January 27, 2016, 10:33:57 PM »
HI NOT BEEN ON HERE FOR A COUPLEOF YEARS BUT I WAS BORN IN THE PREFABS IN ORCHESTON CLOSE AND WENT TO BELLS LANE SCHOOL , OUR  GARDEN BACKED ON TO THE SCHOOL PLAYGROUND AND SOMETIMES IF WE WERE LATE MY MUM WOULD PUT US OVER THE FENCE , I  WAS A BIT CURIOUS  AS TO MY WORKING CAREER, WHEN I STARTED WORKING IN GREET FOR A COMPANY CALLED HOUSE OF LEROSE ,WE MOVED TO NEW PREMISES IN HENRIETTA ST ,LOVE TO HEAR OFF ANYONE THAT WORKED THERE ,OR ANYONE THAT LIVED IN BELLS LANE IN THE PREFABS 

Abt

Re: house of lerose
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 12:33:13 PM »
Hi, I married in 1961 and I was very very skinny(oh. those were the days, lol.)

Sizes in those days started at 12 and clothes just hung on me.
My wedding dress had to be altered and was Ok but I wanted a going away outfit.
My mother in law worked at Lerose in Henrietta Street and they made me a lovely tiny  suit (skirt and Jacket) in pale cream crimplene, I thought I was the bees knees.
My  late mother in law was Daisy Altimas.

Jilly64

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 09:30:56 PM »
Hi the name Daisy Altimas does not ring a bell , but those rolls of crimplene  & jersey , I remember well ,I started work for Lerose when I was  about 17/18 that was in 1964 /65 I worked there for a number of years , and have never stopped sewing , I can remember a couple of names , JENNY DOLPHIN , MARGARET BETHEL ,known as Maggie, ( Margaret was engaged to a lad named Les ,he used to ring every day as the phone was on the wall by me I used to answer it, not sure how it happened but I married him in 1974.)  and our supervisor was EILEEN , she was getting on a bit then , I remember the mechanic who used to look after our sewing machines , especially when we got our finger trapped under the foot ,he told us we would do it 3 times before we became a qualified machinist ,it didn't hurt till he got the finger out then we would faint , so many lovely memories ,we had remnant sales, hope to hear off some more workers,

vamann

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 08:44:42 AM »
I knew a young lady who worked there about the same time, her name was Pauline Thompson and she was a machinist.  Lost touch in 1967 so unable to update after this date.

Jilly64

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 02:59:58 PM »
not sure about Pauline , I remembered the name of the mechanic ,it was joe we all fancied him ,lets hope someone will have some some more memories.

Denise1958

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 10:20:04 PM »
I worked at the House of Lerose in 1975/1976. My sister Carol worked there before me. She married John Telford who was if memory serves me correctly time and motion! I remember he would stand and time how long it took us to complete a particular job.
Tony (can't remember his surname) was the mechanic whilst I worked there.

Jilly64

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 03:14:33 PM »
Hi Denise1958, you worked there long after me , I was there in the sixties, I was 17 so worked there between 1964 - 1971, I got married in 74 ,had my first child in 75, but I remember the time and study , its because we were on piecework ,we used to call it the slave trade as they always wanted us to go faster , nice to hear of you Denise 1958 

Rachelle evans

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 07:35:46 PM »
Hi my mum used to work at Lerose she was Heather Goodchild at the time she worked with Eddie Webster and Alec

Angela Protheroe

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 08:33:38 PM »
Hi - I have just acquired a black jersey suit with the label House of Lerose The home of good jersey if I send a picture of it would anyone be able to date it for me?

mhenry

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 11:11:54 PM »
Hello. Just wanted to reach out and see if anyone remembers my dad who used to work at Lerose, Michael Henry? He was there from the 60s up until it closed down. He worked in the cutting room and was great friends with David, Joe, Neil and Trevor. He met and married my mum there too!  She worked at Lerose in the 60s and went back a few times over the years and was initially a machinist. I used to hear great stories!

peter44

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 07:47:14 PM »
Hi
I remember your dad I used to work in the stores issuing all the fabric cotton etc with a chap called jock also another chap called Colin
Your dad used to work up in the cutting room next door with Trevor I was there about 1974 we used to have breakfast up stairs in the small canteen with Bob  Spiers also  chap called Jack ( cant recall his last name)
It was a good firm to work for I remember Kurt Rose and Jack Denning who used to run the place
Regards
Peter Essex

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy